Haas Mixer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2015

avasopht wrote:Here you go, a FREE Haas panner made using stock Reason devices!

Avasopht Haas Delay - SNAPSHOT
gullum wrote: Nice, but a big difference is that the Haas Mixer is 1
gullum wrote: device instead of 12 devices.
:D  I don't even know if I would need this
Well that's because mine has an extra goody included, the "expression" knob (could have attached it to the mod wheel now I come to think of it).

The Haas effect itself could be achieved with 2-3 Thor instances, but I added in distortion and a phaser to not only provide character but also to account for phase cancellation (these are reductions in volume, particularly more audible when listening in mono, of frequencies with wavelengths near to the the haas-delay).
Concep wrote:Great discussion here.  Can anybody weigh in on when Haas panning would be preferable to regular panning?
It makes the mix wider and the panning feels like the object is positioned in actual 3d space (though in real life there are more details that can be added such as changes in the EQ curve). The downside is phase cancellation.

Pitch shifting is an alternative stereo widening strategy to haas panning, which can be achieved with polar.

selig
RE Developer

24 Feb 2015

Concep wrote:Great discussion here.  Can anybody weigh in on when Haas panning would be preferable to regular panning?
Not for my work. BTW, the Haas research was more intended to show how we localize sounds with our two ears rather than provide a working solution to how to pan audio between two speakers! Nothing at all wrong with using it for that if you prefer the results, but that was not the original intention of the research as I understand it. 

As for "widening"…I've never gone for the "widening for widening's sake" approach - never remember hearing a song thinking "I like this - it's got a nice wide mix!". But when I do want something wider than mono (from a mono signal), there are many other approaches that don't have the negatives that "Haas widening" has IMO. As avasopht mentions, there is pitch shifting (pitch left up 5 cents, pitch right down 5 cents). There is also stereo modulation effects like on the Echo and Pulveriser provide where one channel is modulated with inverted polarity to the other. There are many short reverb options as well, specifically panning dry to one side and wet to the other. There's is also the classic doubling effect of playing a part twice and panning each hard left/right. ALL of these approaches deliver a nice wide stereo effect to my ears with virtually no mono compatibility issues and without coloring the sound too much IMO. :)  
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

24 Feb 2015

So, being a utility, what's the best way to hook this up for the effect? (being already sold on the idea and wanting to use it)

Concep

24 Feb 2015

Thanks for your thoughts, Selig.  I can't see much use for this in my work.  I don't see any benefits to outweigh the problems with phase cancellation.

Marco Raaphorst

24 Feb 2015

I love using using a delay and a filter on just one channel. or delay or Left and filter on Right. you can create all sorts of 3D sound that way. 

I've created this Binaural Panner Combinator a while ago: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/new-patc ... ombinator/

Exowildebeest

24 Feb 2015

Sinistereo wrote:Disclosure: I'm at best an amateur musician, but professionally I'm a clinical neurologist and academic neurophysiologist. Physiologically, we know quite a bit about mammalian audio circuitry thanks to the noble sacrifice made by hundreds of owls.
Owls... mammals?

Amateur biologist at best  :P

Tincture

24 Feb 2015

I would just use a DDL on the right channel at 8-12ms, 100% wet. But might give this a try just to see if it can make anything easier.

I don't know if selig's said anything about mono compatibility etc but I have tried to not use this sort of "widening/panning" myself. That said, I have still occasionally run into "central crossing" (mono) when using two guitar parts panned 100% L & R. It has "done my head in significantly" but can only think my trying to correct timing issues by adjusting audio markers has somehow made parts exactly the same and therefore mono?

Tincture

24 Feb 2015

Sinistereo wrote:Disclosure: I'm at best an amateur musician, but professionally I'm a clinical neurologist and academic neurophysiologist. Physiologically, we know quite a bit about mammalian audio circuitry thanks to the noble sacrifice made by hundreds of owls.
Exowildebeest wrote:
Owls... mammals?

Everyone hates a smart arse/ expert huh! ;)

I was impressed. Nice to know the depths of the lurkers.

Ostermilk

24 Feb 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
Owls... mammals?
Of course Owls are Mammals, no?  The best hooters in the entire animal kingdom so I've heard.

Sinistereo

24 Feb 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
Owls... mammals?

You got me!  :s0959:  I must be running on some owl brains myself.  :)

Mammalian... avian... at any rate, the circuit is similar. Now exiting, stage left... if anyone wants to talk about Parkinsonism, I'll be lurking in the corner.  :s0826:

Pepin

25 Feb 2015

Apart from the CV inputs, does this RE differ significantly from the "Stereo Turbo" function on kiloHearts Faturator?

Theo.M

25 Feb 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PFgCrvwByo

it's actually correct, and this RE is not worth it IMO.. it can be done with DDL or VMG to a finer detail which is a must have anyway for the latency compensation issues in reason.

BTW i can no longer hear this effect due to only having my left ear but everything the guy says in the video is to my knowledge completely correct. Smaller times for actual "haas effect"  BTW,
which is about which ear hears the sound first.  Lots of posts in this topic completely off track, lots not also too, but this video IMO sums it up real nice.

pjeudy

25 Feb 2015

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

gak

25 Feb 2015

So I'm completely befuddled by this whole thing. The "haas" effect is older than dirt. In fact, it can be achieved several ways. That's fine.

I thought the whole point of this was to spend a little cash and have it right there that you can use with panning options to boot. 

I have no clue how to set it up to just use (w/o a tone of complex routing that defeats the purpose) and I'm even more puzzled as to why it's not an "effect."

?

dvdrtldg

25 Feb 2015

I'm enjoying hooking up an LFO to the L-R delay CV and making subtle adjustments for a tape-warbly effect. Also, cranking the range to 99% and automating it with a square wave can give a nice rhythmic pulse. I dunno, sometimes these REs are great for all sorts of unexpected reasons. 

gak

26 Feb 2015

Alright, I'm talking to myself here :rofl:

But, I'm having a bit of a "a ha" moment in playing with it. Interesting.

gak

27 Feb 2015

Ok, got it pretty much figured out. I think it's a no-brainer for someone like me. I have nearly a month to demo so no hurry to buy and can try "other" methods but for widening a drum track, guitar track or bass track it's a neat and simple way of getting some nice w/o strange artifacts (I don't know about you guys but nearly EVERYTHING that is a "widener" I've tried is cheezy and fake sounding)

I still haven't figured out in reason how to have the mono input go into the send which would be ideal. I'll have to work with utilities to figure that out in the near future. 

gak

19 Mar 2015

Forgive me, but "placebo" or not I really like this utility. CAN you do it with other methods? I guess, but it's a simple plug/play solution and fixes a few needs simply and efficiently (from drums to guitar)

I have a feeling that guitarists actually playing through this are going to be biased to vs other methods.

Yonatan

28 Apr 2015

Cosmetic update... I cannot remember how it looked before.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/haas-mixer/

Puckboy2000

28 Apr 2015

This might be a dumb question, but does anyone run the final mix through a Haas effect to make the whole mix a little wider? Or is that a bad idea? Thanks
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

• Information