Revolution Virtual Surround is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

normen

18 Feb 2015

Cool, HRTF can be used for some nice effects, especially as music is played via headphones most of the time nowadays. Bought.

marcuswitt

18 Feb 2015

Normen, you can achieve the same thing by using your own RE, VMG-01, and two Synapse's GQ-7 EQs to emulate Blauert's directional bands. :thumbup:

normen

18 Feb 2015

Hm, I found something funny. The zoom parameter affects the sound when the device is controlled via CV.. From the manual it should only affect the display zoom.. And when theres no CV connected it doesn't affect the sound. To reproduce this connect a LFO to the distance CV input and move the zoom slider.

Ocean of Waves

18 Feb 2015

I did a quick demo and I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping something similar like this.

This RE doesn't do the realistic Binaural effect I was hoping for, but maybe I'm using it wrong. 

normen

18 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:I did a quick demo and I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping something similar like this.
This RE doesn't do the realistic Binaural effect I was hoping for, but maybe I'm using it wrong. 
Hm, to my ears it does pretty much exactly that..? Its very similar to the various HRTF algorithms used in gaming sound engines like OpenAL.

Ocean of Waves

18 Feb 2015

It seems to work better on stereo sources (from what I've tried so far). The Longcat HD3 is -to me- more realistic, esspecially when using distance.

I'm not arguing that this is a bad RE at all, it sounds good, but I was hoping for something sounding more like the Longcat HD3. It's good to have something like this in the Rack!

DLDTech

18 Feb 2015

Revolution uses an 'average' HRTF model to generate the 3D source, not binaural. I believe a lot of the game engines use the same source HRTF models, but their way of merging the models when rotating is less advanced than Revolution.

I'm not sure where Longcat source their HRTF models from - the video suggests a dummy head rather than real people. They sound a little OTT to me, but that can be a good thing ;)

Anyway - if you want to hear me talk to great length about HRTF, see the 3rd video on the shop page.

Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

Ocean of Waves

18 Feb 2015

Cool, do you plan to do a Binaural version of Revolution?

normen

18 Feb 2015

DLDTech wrote:Revolution uses an 'average' HRTF model to generate the 3D source, not binaural. I believe a lot of the game engines use the same source HRTF models, but their way of merging the models when rotating is less advanced than Revolution.

I'm not sure where Longcat source their HRTF models from - the video suggests a dummy head rather than real people. They sound a little OTT to me, but that can be a good thing ;)

Anyway - if you want to hear me talk to great length about HRTF, see the 3rd video on the shop page.

Did you have a chance to check out that possible bug I mentioned?

EnochLight

18 Feb 2015

I'm liking Revolution.  

Longcat doesn't exist as a company anymore, and HD3 is no longer sold.  When it did sell, it cost €99 ($112 USD).  It's nice to know that Revolution RE will exist and work in every future version of Reason, and the fact that it costs substantially less is hugely appealing.  

@DLD Tech/Richard: thanks for doing the demo videos in 1080p!  Your promo video is only 480p and appears blurry.   :frown:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ocean of Waves

18 Feb 2015

I know, it's sad HD3 isn't longer sold, but I bought it before Longcat stopped selling it. This RE is the best alternative in the Reason Rack thus far, but it isn't really the same (hence the price difference)!

EnochLight

18 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:I know, it's sad HD3 isn't longer sold, but I bought it before Longcat stopped selling it. This RE is the best alternative in the Reason Rack thus far, but it isn't really the same (hence the price difference)!
I'm wondering if HD3's features can be replicated in Reason by just using multiple instances of Revolution - one for each "source"?  I never owned HD3 but it seems like the main difference is just multiple inputs?  Have no idea, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ocean of Waves

18 Feb 2015

Try to with Revolution what you hear in the last video, I tried but I couldn't. The Dev already explained this RE isn't a Binaural effect while HD3 is

EnochLight

18 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:The Dev already explained this RE isn't a Binaural effect while HD3 is
Got it.

So Revolution averages the HRTF model, and HD3 uses binaural.  Aside from the approach, it looks like HD3 allows multiple inputs, correct?  I'm only guessing this from watching the videos you posted.

Ocean of Waves

18 Feb 2015

Yes, not really but something more clever. It shows other HD3 uses in the window including movements.

For example: When you insert HD3 on a vocal and guitar track both are displayed in each instance of HD3. A similar approach is often used in Spectral Analysis plugs where you can see the other sources in one instance. 

BTW, I have a email conversation with Longcat asking them to port HD3 over to a RE, I even offered them a free GUI -if needed- but they can't sell or give away the code anymore.

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

nice stereo pan but 3d LOL ?!!  

3d codecs and speakers woukd not work with a 2.0 or 2.1 system unless it got some THX or other 2.1 system but even then it's spatialisation and not 3d ! so yhea nice lie .....
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

normen

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:nice stereo pan but 3d LOL ?!!  

3d codecs and speakers woukd not work with a 2.0 or 2.1 system unless it got some THX or other 2.1 system but even then it's spatialisation and not 3d ! so yhea nice lie .....
So how come you can hear 3d with two ears? :)

EnochLight

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:nice stereo pan but 3d LOL ?!!  

I think you're confused.  3D audio has been used in gaming for well over 20 years, and works very well to simulate the position of sound sources.  HRTF is a very well established method for doing so, in both 2-channel audio as well as multi-channel.

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

it may be okay to call it 3d with headphones but a real 3d system is not a crap pan codec using a stereo system .

a real 3d system is huge and got a tones of speakers all around the room on a huge frame structure , also there is a 3d proscessor that works like the 7.1 movie soundsystem but 3d that cost bullocks to make sound travel all around .
so yhea it's stereo and not 3d , but I guess it's funky to call it that way .

normen

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: it may be okay to call it 3d with headphones but a real 3d system is not a crap pan codec using a stereo system .

a real 3d system is huge and got a tones of speakers all around the room on a huge frame structure , also there is a 3d proscessor that works like the 7.1 movie soundsystem but 3d that cost bullocks to make sound travel all around .
Well thats the point, 3d with headphones, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-relat ... r_function

or a short version in french:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrtf

joeyluck

18 Feb 2015

I'm not really getting a 3D feel from this...  

I'm also getting a warping effect. What causes that? The adjustment in delay?

normen

18 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:I'm not really getting a 3D feel from this...  

I'm also getting a warping effect. What causes that? The adjustment in delay?
Depending what you mean by "warping" thats the doppler effect, like when a police car with a siren passes you and the pitch of the siren seems to become lower as it passes you.

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: it may be okay to call it 3d with headphones but a real 3d system is not a crap pan codec using a stereo system .

normen wrote:
Well thats the point, 3d with headphones, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-relat ... r_function
normen wrote:
or a short version in french:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrtf

I tryed a few 3d codecs before (using headphones) , it's nice to Watch a movie with .

I Wonder if the 3d for headphones RE from DLD make good results , what is for shure is that such Pan is welcom , it look like the one I got in cubase .

• Information