Becoming a potential RE developer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Yonatan

16 Feb 2015

How I wish I had some inside look into the RE world, 
as to decide if I can learn to make something out of it, 
to get the chance to try out working with the tools for the RE developers. 

I have not got a company, but I want to try out and learn, but to do that I need to see and try out the tools while learning more and more, until I can deliver and bring ideas into a reality. It is a process and I am a person that needs a hands on to grow into it while trial and error. 

I can not yet program C++ (but could well meet a companion along the way),
and can be a fast learner when I know the platform and purpose and limits. 
But I am foremost interested in building sample based RE.

Do I have to have a registered company as said?

Any tips are welcome! As the saying goes; every journey starts with a first step. 

normen

16 Feb 2015

Afaik if you register you instantly get access to the SDK, only when you want to sell REs you'll need a Tax #.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

normen wrote:Afaik if you register you instantly get access to the SDK
When I tried to register, there were mandatory fields for 3 representative persons and address of a company supposed to exist.

ScuzzyEye

16 Feb 2015

Yonatan wrote:Oh thanks, that sounds great! 

I am lost in the new website, do anyone know
where I can apply for getting access to the SDK?
You should be able to find what you need from here: https://www.propellerheads.se/developer/

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:You should be able to find what you need from here: https://www.propellerheads.se/developer/
I am able to find a big pile of ads and a small e-mail link to ask questions in the last paragraph.

Yonatan

16 Feb 2015

I cannot find the link where one apply. I have seen it before the new site, but now I am lost. 

JoshuaPhilgarlic

16 Feb 2015

Yonatan wrote:I cannot find the link where one apply. I have seen it before the new site, but now I am lost. 
https://www.propellerheads.se/developer ... signup.php

Ocean of Waves

16 Feb 2015

I have to say, Props made it as easy as possible to make a RE. I'm knee-deep into it and I appreciate the way they laid it out for us humans.

ScuzzyEye

16 Feb 2015

Yonatan wrote:I cannot find the link where one apply. I have seen it before the new site, but now I am lost. 
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:
https://www.propellerheads.se/developer ... signup.php
Ah, the page must change after you're logged in with a developer account. Thanks for the better link.

EnochLight

16 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:When I tried to register, there were mandatory fields for 3 representative persons and address of a company supposed to exist.
Use your home address and register as a sole proprietor.  Fin.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rcbuse
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:When I tried to register, there were mandatory fields for 3 representative persons and address of a company supposed to exist.
I know myself and a lot of other RE developers are one person shops.  Just fill out the same info for all the fields.  

Yonatan

16 Feb 2015

One do not have to be a company unless selling in the shop (which is logical) and one can be alone,
but you do need a website which also will become some form of developer ID:

"All Rack Extensions have a unique ID starting with the reverse domain of the developer company.
The reverse domain for Propellerhead is 'se.propellerhead', Google would probably use 'com.google'.
Reverse domains associated with a company cannot be changed later, but additional reverse domains can be added if needed."

So I better first get myself a website... 

zero01101

16 Feb 2015

just applied myself with my own name for practically everything... let's see if it's as simple as everyone says :)

Lunesis

16 Feb 2015

What are you supposed to do with this? I put com.reasontalk.www
Reverse domain developer ID
All Rack Extensions have a unique ID starting with the reverse domain of the developer company.
The reverse domain for Propellerhead is 'se.propellerhead', Google would probably use 'com.google'.
Reverse domains associated with a company cannot be changed later, but additional reverse domains can be added if needed.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:What are you supposed to do with this? I put com.reasontalk.www
Since everything else may be a fake, maybe any fake domain will do? I don't think they check it.
And should I ever decide to engage in commerce, I can register another account with a true company for the products I might have developed to the moment.

Grinder One

16 Feb 2015

I've also considered trying this out as I dabble a bit in C++, creating acouple of 2D games etc,
and even have some 3D modelling experience when I created the craft in the pic below for a
train simulator

One question I'd like to ask developers is, can we use the SDK to create RE's for personal use
...I mean that become part of our Reason rack to use as and when ?

Mart.

Ocean of Waves

16 Feb 2015

Only in Recon, it is a stripped down version of Reason that a dev uses to test their creations

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Only in Recon, it is a stripped down version of Reason that a dev uses to test their creations
So REs can only be loaded from PH shop, right?
That sucks.

Grinder One

16 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Only in Recon, it is a stripped down version of Reason that a dev uses to test their creations
orthodox wrote:
orthodox wrote:So REs can only be loaded from PH shop, right? That sucks
orthodox wrote:.
Yep...and I'm glad I asked. Interest over for me !

eusti

16 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:
orthodox wrote:So REs can only be loaded from PH shop, right? That sucks
orthodox wrote:.
Grinder One wrote: Yep...and I'm glad I asked. Interest over for me !
I heard that some people are still using older betas of something they tested, but never materialized officially and didn't expire... So, I would guess there is a way to do betas to use for your own purposes...

D.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

eusti wrote:I heard that some people are still using older betas of something they tested, but never materialized officially and didn't expire... So, I would guess there is a way to do betas to use for your own purposes...
I'm not sure I understand that. What's so special with betas? Do they somehow bypass the shop? Or is it the solution for real companies doing business with the shop?

There is another option. For example, if someone makes a RE, tests it in Recon and finds some person or company having access to the shop to offer them a deal, that they release that RE on any conditions they want, put their brand on and so on.

eusti

16 Feb 2015

eusti wrote:I heard that some people are still using older betas of something they tested, but never materialized officially and didn't expire... So, I would guess there is a way to do betas to use for your own purposes...
orthodox wrote: I'm not sure I understand that. What's so special with betas? Do they somehow bypass the shop? Or is it the solution for real companies doing business with the shop?

There is another option. For example, if someone makes a RE, tests it in Recon and finds some person or company having access to the shop to offer them a deal, that they release that RE on any conditions they want, put their brand on and so on.
Not really sure I completely understand what your final plan is... Do you want to build something for final release and sell it in the shop? Then it all seems to be perfectly set up by the Props for it...

I'm no developer, so I'm just guessing / making it up from what I read around here / on the PUF...
As far as I understand it, betas do not need to be approved by the Props and you could have them in your rack for yourself...

D.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

eusti wrote:Not really sure I completely understand what your final plan is... Do you want to build something for final release and sell it in the shop? Then it all seems to be perfectly set up by the Props for it...
I for a certain reason cannot enter a commercial contract. I want to build something and delegate the release rights to someone else. My only interest is one working copy of that thing.

ScuzzyEye

16 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:So REs can only be loaded from PH shop, right? That sucks.
From my point of view as a beta tester, which I was before I signed the NDA: When a developer would make a new build, he could issue a new beta license to me, that would last 30 days. Some beta testing took longer than 30 days, but each new build got another 30 days.

Yes, I downloaded them from Propellerhead's servers, but the item was not in the shop proper.

I believe there was also a musician working on a project who needed a specific old chip sound, so he developed a synth, and used the beta license to make the track, but the device never launched in the shop proper, and I don't know of anyone else who even got to test it.

DLDTech

18 Feb 2015

The only way to get your own 'working copy' is to sign the NDA, then release your extension as a beta every 30 days. You also need to change the version number and recompile the code each time. 

The only reason I can think of doing this is if you have a very specific case that needs the C++ code, but you can't be bothered doing the minimum graphics needed to pass acceptance. Otherwise you'll probably be able to get enough sales to offset the cost of setting up a company - and having a company at your disposal has other benefits as well (obviously the costs depend on where in the world you are).

Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

• Information