Shape is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ahs

14 Feb 2015

no, this is obvious but the sub 37 have more resolution than 0-127 how can i accomplish this ?

selig
RE Developer

14 Feb 2015

ahs wrote:no, this is obvious but the sub 37 have more resolution than 0-127 how can i accomplish this ?
The only MIDI parameter I'm aware of that has more than 127 steps of resolution is pitch bend, so you can plug into that parameter if the Moog will allow you to reassign pitch bend. 

What have you used in the past that gives more than 127 steps of resolution over MIDI?

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Tincture

14 Feb 2015

jfrichards wrote:This is WAY too much fun...

http://phead.mu/s/FVK3qS9D

(sending one Shape into a Subtractor and a Malstrom in a combinator)

Just realised I can listen to these, even though I'm still on 7.1 :) Very nice John.

Faastwalker

14 Feb 2015

ahs wrote:no, this is obvious but the sub 37 have more resolution than 0-127 how can i accomplish this ?
I guess it's the same as the Moog Minitaur, which has 14-bit MIDI. Problem is, as far as I'm aware, Reason can't generate this. There was an article doing the rounds, just before NAMM 2015, about an update to the MIDI specification. I was hoping to hear more about this from NAMM but I don't think anything more has emerged so far.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/ ... milestone/

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Feb 2015

I think you are referring to RPN and NRPN type MIDI messages.  While the External MIDI Device supports the CCs that make up the NPRN message (CC98, CC99, CC6, CC38), there isn't a good way to sequence these properly for the desired 14 bit values.  Hopefully Propellerheads will come out with a better External MIDI Device, or open up that ability to RE developers.

Olivier

14 Feb 2015

rcbuse wrote:
I think you are referring to RPN and NRPN type MIDI messages.  While the External MIDI Device supports the CCs that make up the NPRN message (CC98, CC99, CC6, CC38), there isn't a good way to sequence these properly for the desired 14 bit values.  Hopefully Propellerheads will come out with a better External MIDI Device, or open up that ability to RE developers.

I've been playing with a Re idea that i think can work around this. Unfortunately i'm a very slow learner as far as Re coding... Also, the idea that props could just implement it natively isnt very motivating in getting it done either..
Any dev interested ?
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Feb 2015

eauhm wrote:I've been playing with a Re idea that i think can work around this. Unfortunately i'm a very slow learner as far as Re coding... Also, the idea that props could just implement it natively isnt very motivating in getting it done either.. Any dev interested ?
Yea, it wouldn't be too hard to have a CV device where you could select your NRPN number and have it split an incoming CV into the 4 CVs that would feed 4 External MIDI devices with the proper CC set.  I think the problem that we would run into is the sequencing of those CV changes to the MIDI stream..  you need to have some control of the order those go out.  Then if someone wants to use two or three of them...   thats going to be a mess.

Olivier

15 Feb 2015

eauhm wrote:I've been playing with a Re idea that i think can work around this. Unfortunately i'm a very slow learner as far as Re coding... Also, the idea that props could just implement it natively isnt very motivating in getting it done either.. Any dev interested ?
rcbuse wrote:
Yea, it wouldn't be too hard to have a CV device where you could select your NRPN number and have it split an incoming CV into the 4 CVs that would feed 4 External MIDI devices with the proper CC set.  I think the problem that we would run into is the sequencing of those CV changes to the MIDI stream..  you need to have some control of the order those go out.  Then if someone wants to use two or three of them...   thats going to be a mess.
Going wildly off topic, apologies beforehand.

As far as my testing has gone, i think one only needs to generate 2 cv signals from one representing msb and lsb and throw that to 2 emi's. Or 1 if you use a combi. Put a big knob on the re and accept cv in, and presto you can at least get all the cv goodness out of reason, draw curves and whatnot. Not pretty but it could work.
Recording and playing back 14bit cv never has been an issue, just turn the dial on my moog and i see 2 lanes getting created. Just dont think you can edit the mess :P

The device i have in mind works with 1 cv in.. 2 cv out.. And a dial that would generate a signal so you could easily automate.
My idea was, if reason can record 14 bit midi cc, and represent the signal in two lanes in the sequencer in the form of 2 midi cc's total, then it should be possible to make a re to do this. But as it is a workaround i don't like it.

Timing wise theres not much issue. As long as i send out both signals at the same time through an emi my moog picks it up correctly. Ive tested that with automation lanes. If lsb and msb arrive at the same time, which is just two ordinary midi cc's i can alleady send with an emi, my moog seems to interpret it.
And yes, i wouldnt be able to edit curves i'd record from turning controls on my moog with this. But just getting smooth midi out would be great.

But back to topic.. ;) Shape is Awesome!!!

ScuzzyEye

15 Feb 2015

eauhm wrote:The device i have in mind works with 1 cv in.. 2 cv out.. And a dial that would generate a signal so you could easily automate. My idea was, if reason can record 14 bit midi cc, and represent the signal in two lanes in the sequencer in the form of 2 midi cc's total, then it should be possible to make a re to do this. But as it is a workaround i don't like it.
If the knob on the RE doesn't have 16,384 positions, then there isn't much use in using 14-bit MIDI. 127 positions is about tops for an control is Reason to reasonably use.

So you're not expecting to make use of the extra resolution, you just want to be able to control a parameter on the synth, right? Have you tried this: Record the two lanes from turning a knob on the synth from min to max. One of them is rapidly changing, right? The other slowly increases? Delete the rapidly changing one, or at least don't use it. Just send the slower one back to its corresponding CC. Don't send anything to the other CC at all. See what happens.

EDIT: Or better yet, send the slowly changing lane to both CCs.

Olivier

15 Feb 2015

eauhm wrote:The device i have in mind works with 1 cv in.. 2 cv out.. And a dial that would generate a signal so you could easily automate. My idea was, if reason can record 14 bit midi cc, and represent the signal in two lanes in the sequencer in the form of 2 midi cc's total, then it should be possible to make a re to do this. But as it is a workaround i don't like it.
ScuzzyEye wrote: If the knob on the RE doesn't have 16,384 positions, then there isn't much use in using 14-bit MIDI. 127 positions is about tops for an control is Reason to reasonably use.

So you're not expecting to make use of the extra resolution, you just want to be able to control a parameter on the synth, right? Have you tried this: Record the two lanes from turning a knob on the synth from min to max. One of them is rapidly changing, right? The other slowly increases? Delete the rapidly changing one, or at least don't use it. Just send the slower one back to its corresponding CC. Don't send anything to the other CC at all. See what happens.

EDIT: Or better yet, send the slowly changing lane to both CCs.

Yes, i tried that, but its not very pretty imho.

A Re knob can be set way more precise then 127 positions. So thats not an issue. Just program it to have a higher accuracy ;) There are controls on Re's that have over 16k positions. Echobode's frequencydial for example. Repatch files also give clues about this.
If i automate such a dial, a very smooth transition can be achieved. True, it may not be that usefull when controlled from a 7 bit midi controller. But when used with automation clips or controlled by CV (which has a greater internal resolution then 128 discrete values) i think you can make good use of the available the extra resolution.

I just think that all the beautiful analog gear that is becoming more widely available nowadays would benefit a lot from having this kind of tool available. Especially since Reason is the King of CV which translates so beautifully to analog gear and its precision.

(sorry for being vague.. trying to filter data here.. NDA and such ;) )

Tumble

15 Feb 2015

Fun to pair it with Parsec

A bit of Metaphysical function-like drone noodling I did using 1xShape and 1xParsec:

https://clyp.it/1kueziuy

ahs

15 Feb 2015

yep, the sub37 sends and receives NRPN 14bit and that is having a wide range for p.e. the filter wich would only with normale midi resolution stepping

ahs

15 Feb 2015

@tumble

do you share the patch ?

hydlide

15 Feb 2015

So far I am really digging both Korde and Shape. Purchased them both!

So much for going outside :P

MirEko

15 Feb 2015

Really need a complete the bundle option :/
Maybe it will come one day, but cannae wait that long? Hhhmmm
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

• Information