No more SDK 1.0 Rack Extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jagwah

11 Feb 2015

It seems now this is official - or as official as it is ever going to be.

If you are on Reason 6.5, this means you have to upgrade to a newer version of Reason or every new Rack Extension that comes out will not work on your version of Reason.

I have had time to think about this, and I think it sucks.
EDITED: After input from other users I now see that I was wrong with this sentiment due to a lack of understanding. I want the platform to progress as much as anyone else and I now understand that this is only a step in that direction and nothing more. Sorry for my unnecessary negativity.

Interested in hearing your opinions....

:comp:

O1B

11 Feb 2015

This changes very little for the 6.5 user except that there will no longer be 'new' SDK 1.0 REs.
If you are on Reason 6.5, this means you have to upgrade to a newer version of Reason or every new Rack Extension that comes out will not work on your version of Reason. 
Interested in hearing your opinions...
If you are n R6.5, this means you choose to use older SDK 1.0 REs.  Endless SDK 1.0 REs were never promised.
Maybe this changeover heralds in a new SDK 2.0 era of REs.  But it certainly doesn't 'force' anyone to upgrade.
"I feel forced to keep up". 
7.1 here, btw.  if I upgrade, I choose to keep up and accept NEW workflow limitations/quirks.
OS 7.5 (Lion, as well)  

Jagwah

11 Feb 2015

O1B wrote:This changes very little for the 6.5 user except that there will no longer be 'new' SDK 1.0 REs.
It means they don't have access to any new REs at all unless they outlay the upgrade fee. It doesn't seem like a 'very little' deal to me.

EnochLight

11 Feb 2015

Jagwah wrote:It seems now this is official - or as official as it is ever going to be.

I have had time to think about this, and I think it sucks : D Why can't developers make Rack Extension with SDK 1.0 anymore? They still have the capabilities, and the larger market (6.5 users), the only thing that is really happening here is users are being forced to upgrade if they want any new goodies that hit the shop.

One can only assume that this will be the now be the norm, eventually SDK 2.0 will be phased out and so on.

Interested in hearing your opinions....

:comp:
Curious.. where did you hear this?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

O1B

11 Feb 2015

Access costs money, in certain cases.  
Pay for Coach... - get Coach.  And, yes... they'll be tempting you to upgrade to Business.

R6.5-hurt is understandable... we just can't make out like we're being abused.
Easy out there, JW.
O1B wrote:This changes very little for the 6.5 user except that there will no longer be 'new' SDK 1.0 REs.
Jagwah wrote: It means they don't have access to any new REs at all unless they outlay the upgrade fee. It doesn't seem like a 'very little' deal to me.

Kategra

11 Feb 2015

SDK2 was advertised with faster math, which for me is a good "selling" point.
I want a RE to be as efficient as possible (while still delivering great sound performance), so I like that the newest RE use the latest SDK.

Yes, the downside is that you have to upgrade Reason... but from 6.5 to 8.1 you get a lot for your money: Spectrum Analyzer, Rex file slicing, Drag & Drop, Synchronous, Softube Amps, and some little extra improvements.

Would I upgrade to R9 for as little improvements R8 brought over R7? Probably not. If I wanted a new awesome RE that required R9 to run, I would probably not upgrade just to have this little improvement+awesome RE. But I would upgrade from R8.1 to R9.5 or R10 for same price and get all that new stuff.

It all comes down to money that you have / want to pay. You could wait for R10 directly, maybe that will be worth the upgrade money for you.

gullum

11 Feb 2015

With everything software related you need to upgrade at some point as development for you version stops, as does support. As a developers of RE's (witch I'm not) I would want to take advantage of everything that could make my RE as good stable and efficient as possible, so if that means I have to use the newest SDK and loose a part of the potential market I would do it without blinking. 
It does not suck at all maybe for you it sucks. Development needs to move forward.

Jagwah

11 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:Curious.. where did you hear this?
This forum, numerous times.

Jagwah

11 Feb 2015

I don't see it as 'needing to keep up to date with the software' as mentioned above - the REs are backward compatible. I still don't see this as a necessary move.
gullum wrote:With everything software related you need to upgrade at some point as development for you version stops, as does support. As a developers of RE's (witch I'm not) I would want to take advantage of everything that could make my RE as good stable and efficient as possible, so if that means I have to use the newest SDK and loose a part of the potential market I would do it without blinking. 
It does not suck at all maybe for you it sucks. Development needs to move forward.
Wow @ the idea of throwing away part of your potential market without blinking!

EnochLight

11 Feb 2015

Jagwah wrote:I don't see it as 'needing to keep up to date with the software' as mentioned above - the REs are backward compatible. I still don't see this as a necessary move.
gullum wrote:With everything software related you need to upgrade at some point as development for you version stops, as does support. As a developers of RE's (witch I'm not) I would want to take advantage of everything that could make my RE as good stable and efficient as possible, so if that means I have to use the newest SDK and loose a part of the potential market I would do it without blinking. 
Jagwah wrote: Wow @ the idea of throwing away part of your potential market without blinking!
I'm not sure if it's occurred to you, but Propellerhead know exactly how many users are on pre-SDK 2.0 versions of Reason and how many users are on post-SDK 2.0 versions of Reason. I'm willing to wager that the cutoff date wasn't just an arbitrary choice. They very much likely see the vast majority of their users on post-SDK 2.0 versions.

So perhaps more of a tight focus as opposed to blink.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

platzangst

11 Feb 2015

Eh, this is like the exact opposite of all the people complaining that REs are behind the times and "not a mature format" and "why can't it do these things VSTs do" and so on. People who want advances and improvements NOW vs. people who want everything to be compatible with the one version they bought ages ago. If PH chooses one, by default they have to let go of the other.

PSoames

11 Feb 2015

platzangst wrote:Eh, this is like the exact opposite of all the people complaining that REs are behind the times and "not a mature format" and "why can't it do these things VSTs do" and so on. People who want advances and improvements NOW vs. people who want everything to be compatible with the one version they bought ages ago. If PH chooses one, by default they have to let go of the other.
You mean like this guy?
Jagwah wrote:Where the hell is Republik and where the hell is SDK 3.0 >: (

Ayello

11 Feb 2015

i think the new ChordSet RE could have been SDK1 , maybe i 'm wrong as i m not coding technician.
Beeing on 6.5 ,i'd certainly bought it if it have been the case.

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

platzangst wrote:Eh, this is like the exact opposite of all the people complaining that REs are behind the times and "not a mature format" and "why can't it do these things VSTs do" and so on. People who want advances and improvements NOW vs. people who want everything to be compatible with the one version they bought ages ago. If PH chooses one, by default they have to let go of the other.
PSoames wrote: You mean like this guy?
PSoames wrote:
Haha that's a good one.

People should also understand that SDK2 is likely receiving updates as well. That was reported in these forums as well. Something about SSE optimizations I believe...?  There's more to SDK2 than just 'custom display' vs 'no custom display.'

When it comes to software, operating systems, and machines, you can never expect to stay on old software and continue to update it with the latest add-ons.

How can we get to SDK3 if they have to worry about support for SDK1?

InavigableHeart

11 Feb 2015

You 6.5 guys are missing a trick by not upgrading to 8, you'll get a lot for your money, take the plunge if you can! The SDK drastically needs moving on, so lets encourage it, I'm looking forward to seeing more efficient and powerful REs.

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

InavigableHeart wrote:You 6.5 guys are missing a trick by not upgrading to 8, you'll get a lot for your money, take the plunge if you can! The SDK drastically needs moving on, so lets encourage it, I'm looking forward to seeing more efficient and powerful REs.
For real.  If you can't see the value in the features added in Reason 7 and 8 and can't justify having MIDI Out, audio quantize, REX file saving, channel grouping, spectrum EQ, Audiomatic, snappier browser, drag and drop, drop to Propellerhead, Softube Amps, etc for a single upgrade price...You should probably just give up on it =P  But you really shouldn't and should just do yourself a favor and upgrade ;)

CharlyCharlzz

11 Feb 2015

nobody could ever say to me if the softube amps will stay Inside the reason 9 upgrade , anybody knows now ?
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

zakalwe

11 Feb 2015

yeah i wish they could get back to major upgrades or really, really rethink their pricing and version numbering.  i'm not going to buy RE if i have to additionally pay $129 for the privilege.

hopefully they get so rich off RE they can live off it and go the FL studio route.  that would rock.

Ayello

11 Feb 2015

To me 6.5 works fine, i don't need 7 or 8 improvement.
Of course i'll update one day....maybe the next version..

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

Ayello wrote:To me 6.5 works fine, i don't need 7 or 8 improvement.
Of course i'll update one day....maybe the next version..
That's great :)  Maybe I should clarify a bit more...

My comments are for folks who are on 6.5 who are upset that there will no longer be REs released built using SDK1 which is no longer supported (the topic of this thread).

Jagwah

11 Feb 2015

PSoames wrote:You mean like this guy?
PSoames wrote:
Yea lol :) I want the platform to advance as much as anyone else does, I just feel a bit sorry for guys on 6.5 who are put on the spot - when I see it as totally unnecessary especially when you consider REs are backward compatible. I am open as always to being convinced otherwise, but so far I don't see it.  

@ JoeyLuck - what support would SDK 1.0 need?

@ CharlyCharles - yes they will be there and they are supposed to always be there unless another incident like Line 6 happens.

@ O1B - "R6.5-hurt is understandable... we just can't make out like we're being abused." Yes, it's not the end of the world and it's not an outright marketing attack, but there is a need for some users to spend more money when they probably didn't plan on it and I am still not convinced it was necessary. 

@Platzangst - The thing is, I do not understand why Props would need to drop SDK 1.0 in order to progress with the format, there's also the backward compatibility. Did Sony tell game developers to stop producing games for PS3 so they can focus on PS4?

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

Nobody loses anything they bought... I'm not sure I get the point?

Reason is on version 8 now.  Reason 6.5 is 2 versions and 2.5 years old.  Reason 6.5 with the ability to use Rack Extensions was a free upgrade from a PWYW Reason 6.  Those who paid something for Reason 6, still weren't even paying for the ability to use Rack Extensions at that point.  But that's aside the point that it is an older version.

SDK2 can do what SDK1 can do and better. SDK2 doesn't just mean 'custom displays.'
All that happens now is that folks on an old version of Reason (6.5) cannot buy newer Rack Extensions.

If Propellerhead allows developers to use SDK1, you can bet they will need to answer with support for it. Are you suggesting developers would be willing to use an old SDK that has no support to accommodate a small amount of people on an old version of the software?

Jagwah

11 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:Nobody loses anything they bought... I'm not sure I get the point?

Reason is on version 8 now.  Reason 6.5 is 2 versions and 2.5 years old.  Reason 6.5 with the ability to use Rack Extensions was a free upgrade from a PWYW Reason 6.  Those who paid something for Reason 6, still weren't even paying for the ability to use Rack Extensions at that point.  But that's aside the point that it is an older version.

SDK2 can do what SDK1 can do and better. SDK2 doesn't just mean 'custom displays.'
All that happens now is that folks on an old version of Reason (6.5) cannot buy newer Rack Extensions.

If Propellerhead allows developers to use SDK1, you can bet they will need to answer with support for it. Are you suggesting developers would be willing to use an old SDK that has no support to accommodate a small amount of people on an old version of the software?
OK thanks for explaining. I was looking at this the wrong way as I thought SDK 1.0 development would run smoothly by itself but considering it more I'm sure that isn't actually the case either.

As a user who is extremely keen for the platform to progress as much and as fast as possible I see why it was wrong of me to look at this in a negative light without first understanding it better. Sorry guys D: Original post updated.

• Information