Softube Transient Shaper and Mutator: RE versions around the corner?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

dreampolice

10 Feb 2015

Mutator as an RE would be awesome!

Theo.M

10 Feb 2015

dreampolice wrote:Mutator as an RE would be awesome!
Really? it's difficult to use, the filter quality is very good granted, second only to the drop, but there is no way to even lock left and right sweeping. I mean to just do a basic cutoff sweep is really annoying. Ergonomics on that one don't click IMO.

I'd rather see the drop! Yeah baby!

On the other hand, IF the transient shaper is anything special and works on other sources other than drums, that would be cool. Otherwise there is no real reason for it as the cheap fxpansion one works fantastic on drums, it's on instruments where it suffers. But yeah going to try the TS now, too curious!

dreampolice

10 Feb 2015

Why not both Drop and Mutator? HA

but most of those problems should just go away in an RE so.....

BTW have you ever used a real mutator?

Concep

10 Feb 2015

Why do we need any of these?  Pulverizer does what Mutator does but better.  The FXPansion Envelope Shaper is amazing and very cheap. We don't need more crazy expensive Softube stuff that doesn't bring anything new.

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2015

dreampolice wrote:Why not both Drop and Mutator? HA

but most of those problems should just go away in an RE so.....

BTW have you ever used a real mutator?
I was never that impressed with the hardware Mutator, sounded like a generic LP filter to me. But I already had plenty of analog filter options at that time (the Moog being one of my personal favorites), so maybe that skewed my view a bit? :)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2015

Concep wrote:Why do we need any of these?  Pulverizer does what Mutator does but better.  The FXPansion Envelope Shaper is amazing and very cheap. We don't need more crazy expensive Softube stuff that doesn't bring anything new.
+1 for the Pulveriser - it's always high up in my "most used" list (or whatever that list is called). 

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

10 Feb 2015

Concep wrote:Why do we need any of these?  Pulverizer does what Mutator does but better.  The FXPansion Envelope Shaper is amazing and very cheap. We don't need more crazy expensive Softube stuff that doesn't bring anything new.
selig wrote:+1 for the Pulveriser - it's always high up in my "most used" list (or whatever that list is called). 

So the two of you agree that Mutator sounds like a Shure Level-Loc compressor, a RAT distortion pedal, and a Nord Lead LP12+notch filter?

I love Pulverizer, too BTW.   ;)

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dreampolice

10 Feb 2015

Ha well comparing a moog filter to anything else is not fair fight!

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
selig wrote:+1 for the Pulveriser - it's always high up in my "most used" list (or whatever that list is called). 

EnochLight wrote:
So the two of you agree that Mutator sounds like a Shure Level-Loc compressor, a RAT distortion pedal, and a Nord Lead LP12+notch filter?

I love Pulverizer, too BTW.   ;)

I haven't had a chance to compare the Pulveriser to it yet, but we have a Level-Or compressor over at the studio, which is a clone of the Level-Loc (made by Standard Audio). I don't immediately think of this when I work with the Pulveriser. In fact, the compressor is the least used section of the Pulveriser for me. Maybe I can record some examples of the Level-Or and see how they compare to the Pulveriser.
Selig Audio, LLC

Yonatan

11 Feb 2015

The Transient Shaher looks quite sophisticated. Would love to try it out. Until then, FXpansion will work, at least for drums. 

Biolumin3sc3nt

11 Feb 2015

I've demoed the Mutator for AU. Not my cup of Tea - However, the Transient Shaper would be interesting!

Morph

11 Feb 2015

Could always use the transient shaper in kong.

Concep

11 Feb 2015

You are a funny man, Enoch :)  

I'm not saying Pulverizer is the exact same thing as Mutator, but it's close enough not to matter.  LFOs?  Check!  Filters?  Check!  Envelope Followers?  Check!  Autopan?  Check!  Oh wait, can Mutator autopan? 

As for Transient Shaper, the DCAM Envelope shaper works awesome.  I'll keep an open mind, but I can't imagine this Transient shaper is going to be far superior.

Wild Opinion coming...I'm forming the impression that people's excitement about Softube's products is driven heavily by the sexy/vintage UI, and the premium price tags, and gear nostalgia rather than offering a new feature set.  Don't get me wrong, they make quality stuff, and I own a number of their REs.  However, I feel like people are so caught up in acquiring new gear that they lose sight that we already have good stuff that does the same thing.  Sometimes there are less expensive or attractive looking alternatives that are of the same high quality.  A good example of this is the Pultec EQ that everyone has been talking about.  Another is the Dynamite RE that does a lot of things, but amounts to nothing more than a different sounding limiter.  End rant.

nikolafeve

11 Feb 2015

Concep wrote:You are a funny man, Enoch :)  

I'm not saying Pulverizer is the exact same thing as Mutator, but it's close enough not to matter.  LFOs?  Check!  Filters?  Check!  Envelope Followers?  Check!  Autopan?
Hey guy! How to do an autopan with the pulverizer please ?
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

nikolafeve

15 Feb 2015

Anyone?
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

selig
RE Developer

15 Feb 2015

Concep wrote:You are a funny man, Enoch :)  

I'm not saying Pulverizer is the exact same thing as Mutator, but it's close enough not to matter.  LFOs?  Check!  Filters?  Check!  Envelope Followers?  Check!  Autopan?
nikolafeve wrote: Hey guy! How to do an autopan with the pulverizer please ?
Apply the LFO (Tremor) to volume, and also engage the Spread button.
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

16 Feb 2015

It's a bit confusing how we can have a 'we need them all' mentality for things such as compressors and EQs, but when it comes to some other things, people jump in to say, "We've got one already we don't need another one."

Competition actually helps sales for other developers. If the Softube Transient Shaper is released as a RE, many folks will buy it. But also, the FXpansion DCAM EnvShaper will actually get more attention/a spike in attention and make some new sales. Customers start seeing stuff about 'transient shaping,' then they ask questions, and then they are comparing based on price with other offerings... Many of those being folks who had no idea the DCAM existed. Some folks will prefer the Softube while others really like the FXpansion.

And on that same note, regardless of your valuation of Softube and considering the price 'premium,' the price difference helps with what I mentioned above. Think of how many people bought the Kuassa MP5 because of the Softube Tube-Tech Channel. But most of those who bought the MP5 (in 'lieu of') aren't the ones who would have bought the Softube Tube-Tech anyways... It's not really a sale lost for anyone, but a sale gained for another.

So I say, as should always be the case with REs... bring it all on please! :)

Marco Raaphorst

16 Feb 2015

Try Transient Shaper of Kong! Kong has a few very nice modules which you easily use for FX. I do that often.

Still the cool thing about Reason: we can make this stuff by combining a few modules.

platzangst

16 Feb 2015

Frankly, the only plug-in they have not released as an RE yet that I have any interest in is the Acoustic Feedback device. They did the Tube Delay, the Spring Reverb, I figured with the similarity in design it was coming next, but no.

The Mutator? might be nice, but I dunno if it's $200 nice. Acoustic Feedback would add something different. But the last time they had some "vote for the next RE" poll, I don't recall it doing very well. Everyone wanted compressors and/or EQ.

Yonatan

16 Feb 2015

Kong Transient shaper is ok but more lighter version than the DCAM EnvShaper. While the DCAM works just fine with most percussion, it seems that Softube is even more versatile beyond drums, a deluxe one. Really hope they are planning to bring it into Reason very soon. So, yes there is indeed room for many REs in the same catagory. But we really need more high class sampel libraries ahead, although one can make a lot with what exists, with some extra effort.   

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2015

You can work with the DCam in other  sources, and the Bias knob is great for that.

You can also go for a different approach for Transient Shaping with Sononics Graphic Shaper, maybe a Multi-Band Transient Shaping. That device is Sweet! The time effects section is so simple to use and you can use it from pretty standard transient shaping stuff to completely mad time effects.

Shokstar

16 Feb 2015

mcatalao wrote:You can work with the DCam in other  sources, and the Bias knob is great for that.

You can also go for a different approach for Transient Shaping with Sononics Graphic Shaper, maybe a Multi-Band Transient Shaping. That device is Sweet! The time effects section is so simple to use and you can use it from pretty standard transient shaping stuff to completely mad time effects.

I´m totally agree with you. here is my 4Dyne- Dcam 2band transient shaper: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bzeil6cpv03a ... r.cmb?dl=0

it´s really simple to mimic the softube one with 4dyne.

Marco Raaphorst

16 Feb 2015

And what about the Kong Compressor which has negative Attack? 

With Kong's Transient Shaper and the Compressor you can create all these kinds of effects.

TheFesta

21 Feb 2015

Have to disagree with you all on the Mutator topic - That demo really doesnt do it justice!

The Mutator really is an awesome filter that would sh*t on pulveriser from a great height,
While it is true that pulveriser has some similar features, its the quality of the filters that is whats important, The hardware mutators filters sound really good and being as its coded from softtube i think its safe to say the software is going to be good too.

If anyone is a fan of early daft punk (homework era, and  thomas own label roule) The mutator was used quite a bit - listen to the quality of the filters on those tracks, really cool distinct sounding filters

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

• Information