ChordSet in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MDTerps2015

11 Feb 2015

Then i got a question, As reason progress through versions will sdk 1 rack extensions be backwards compatible. SO lets say i have an sdk 1 rack extension now and let just say reason 11 just came out....... will lets say my very first rack extension i bought like 2 or 3 years ago be compatible in reason 11??????? 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Then i got a question, As reason progress through versions will sdk 1 rack extensions be backwards compatible. SO lets say i have an sdk 1 rack extension now and let just say reason 11 just came out....... will lets say my very first rack extension i bought like 2 or 3 years ago be compatible in reason 11??????? 
Of course.  Reason 7.1 and 8 prove that.

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

If I understand the confusion correctly...

It has been noted by some here that SDK1 will no longer be supported.  If that is true, what that means is developers will not be able to build using SDK1.  It does not mean that Reason will not support Rack Extensions that have previously been built with SDK1.

Likely, by the time you are on Reason 11, many of the active developers will have updated their Rack Extensions with a newer SDK. But for those who don't, the Rack Extensions compatibility with Reason would not be affected.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2015

Being harmonically challenged ChordSet interests me. Though I do feel sort of nervous things like this are cheating ...
LEDBOO wrote:Looks good. And easy to use. A simple version of the other chord devices. Might jump back in and get this.
I know about AutoTheory (which seems overwhelming from first impression) but are there others in Reason I  have overlooked?

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

AJ_3000 wrote: Being harmonically challenged ChordSet interests me. Though I do feel sort of nervous things like this are cheating ...
LEDBOO wrote:Looks good. And easy to use. A simple version of the other chord devices. Might jump back in and get this.
AJ_3000 wrote:
I know about 
AJ_3000 wrote:AutoTheory (which seems overwhelming from first impression) but are there others in Reason I  have overlooked?

Not cheating is you don't consider arpeggiators cheating...

Things like this and AutoTheory also work great as learning tools.

boobytrap

12 Feb 2015

finally it's work. and it's awesome !

Thanks for everybody ..... :thumbup:
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

XSynth

12 Feb 2015

Hmm i'm getting double notes or something because i can hear it kinda ad a flanger flavour to notes.

Load up NN-XT, load a Saw waveform
Connect ChordSet GATE to NN-XT GATE
Connect ChordSet NOTE to NN-XT CV

Combine the two

Untick RECEIVE NOTES on NN-XT in Combinator Programmer
Tick RECEIVE NOTES on ChordSet in Combinator Programmer.

So far i think its the ROOT note that is being doubled whenever you add a harmonic.

nooomy

12 Feb 2015

XSynth wrote:Hmm i'm getting double notes or something because i can hear it kinda ad a flanger flavour to notes.

Combine the two

So far i think its the ROOT note that is being doubled whenever you add a harmonic.
Do you haven them in the same combinator? If so turn off receive note on the NN-XT 

XSynth

12 Feb 2015

nooomy wrote:
Do you haven them in the same combinator? If so turn off receive note on the NN-XT 
I tried that, it wont help the problem.

MirEko

13 Feb 2015

XSynth wrote:Hmm i'm getting double notes or something because i can hear it kinda ad a flanger flavour to notes.

Combine the two

This could be linked to the problem of mono cv, the notes have to be triggered slightly after each other. Maybe this is the cause of this issue?
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

Snugglepuff

13 Feb 2015

This device is a beast! At first I was a little put off by the unique voicing for 12 different slots. I was thinking about Live's chord device, which will play a single chord across the whole range of the keyboard. But now I see how creating unique chords for each note can be useful, even if it takes a little more time. 

Check this out: I'm using this device to create chords from a single guitar note using Polar. With the way this device is set up, I can change the chord voicing with a single note on my keyboard. Here's a rudimentary combi I've made:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1wWfO ... sp=sharing

It only uses one chord now, but I'm about to add more. To use this, add the combi as an effect on an audio track, create a track for the combi and control it with your keyboard while you play guitar or sing or whatever into the track (make sure monitoring is on for the track). And run pattern devices.

You'll need Polar, ChordSet and (optional) the Softube guitar amp.

There seems to be a glitch with ChordSet where in this combi the note controls don't all go to the correct CV outs on the back, but if you load a new patch into ChordSet, it should work normally. 

Yeah it's complicated, but this is a really cool effect if you're interested!
Attachments
Glitchy_Maj7_Pattern.zip
(3.67 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

MDTerps2015

14 Feb 2015

AJ_3000 wrote: Being harmonically challenged ChordSet interests me. Though I do feel sort of nervous things like this are cheating ...
AJ_3000 wrote:
I know about 
AJ_3000 wrote:AutoTheory (which seems overwhelming from first impression) but are there others in Reason I  have overlooked?
The only thing that gets me is you still have to program the chords. A lot of people dont know the semitone numbers unless it "program what you think sounds good" type of thing. At least they have the more popular majors and minors. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

InavigableHeart

14 Feb 2015

nooomy wrote:
XSynth wrote:
I tried that, it wont help the problem.

I think this phasing is certainly a bug. with this simple setup you can check for yourself, simply increase the receiving device's polyphony from 2 to 3 and the phasing begins, but the device should only be receiving two notes:

Despite this weirdness I think its a great device, and strangely, I don't get the bug if I route the Chord Out CV into Loop Midi (free virtual midi tool) and then lock the Thor to that, which is something I'd probably do anyway as its useful to capture the complete chord notes in the sequencer.

BTW, for those that wanted this to work with an arp, you can feed your chosen arp the captured notes as described above, and moreover, its great to now be able to do micro edits of those notes in the chord progression!!! Yeah, I'd definitely recommend downloading Loop Midi in conjunction with this device...

Here's Nooomy's excellent tutorial on installing and using Loop Midi as a tool in reason. Its extremely useful in many circumstances, such as capturing RE sequencer patterns (while that functionality is not yet supported within reason).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkpcnHkoRI

Attachments
chordset2.JPG
chordset2.JPG (51.04 KiB) Viewed 2949 times

kloeckno

15 Feb 2015

If you use the individual CV outputs instead of the combined one, does it still do the phasing thing? You could use the CV-8 gateway RE to recombine them and possibly delay each note (with Thor or an RE) by a very small amount. That should work until it gets fixed in an update (hopefully).

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2015

InavigableHeart wrote: 
Despite this weirdness I think its a great device, and strangely, I don't get the bug if I route the Chord Out CV into Loop Midi (free virtual midi tool) and then lock the Thor to that, which is something I'd probably do anyway as its useful to capture the complete chord notes in the sequencer.

Here's Nooomy's excellent tutorial on installing and using Loop Midi as a tool in reason. Its extremely useful in many circumstances, such as capturing RE sequencer patterns (while that functionality is not yet supported within reason).  
I had been wondering if this was somehow possible  . I found it poor that this needs a workaround, rather than being a core function in Reason.  Thanks for the pointer.

challism

03 Mar 2015

Can anyone who is trialing it (or has purchased it) explain how ChordSet is any better or different than AutoTheory?
------------------
QVprod wrote: It's not really meant to be anything like AutoTheory. The two have some overlap with being able to trigger chords, but where ChordSet differs is the mapping of chords is a lot more flexible. AutoTheory maps things to premade scales it seems (could be wrong here, I haven't actually tried either of theses). ChordSet on the other hand gives you complete customization of a set of chords to trigger.

So what ChordSet can do that AutoTheory can't is have both a Cmaj chord and a C dom7 chord in the same instance. You could 12 different chords for the same note if you so desired. It also lets you map out progressions to whatever keys you wish allowing you to assign a I-V-vi-IV progression (for example: C-G-Amin-F) to four consecutive keys Like C-F which could be pretty useful for anyone doing keyboard splits. I do agree though, some type of strum feature would be nice for more natural sounding chord playing.

Edit: Forgot to mention all the different cv stuff on the back. This thing can send 7 different notes to 7 different instruments with complete control over what note goes where. 
Thanks for the info.  That actually clears it up a bit.  It sounds like ChordSet could be a useful tool, after all.  AutoTheory does have less flexibility when it comes to modifying chords or even having alternate chords of the same key.  -> One way around that problem is to have multiple instances of AutoTheory running and route them thru a CV merger (Front8 is a bad mother) to the same instrument, but that's kind of a pain.  
I am kind of put off by the reports (in this thread) of a phasing bug.  Has anyone figured out how to fix that?  Hopefully the developer will address the issue in an update.  I wonder if the developer even knows about the bug.  Has anyone contacted the dev?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2015

challism wrote:I'm pretty happy with AutoTheory.  Can anyone who is trialing it (or has purchased it) explain how ChordSet is any better or different than AutoTheory?  I'm not going to "try" this device unless I think I might want it.
I should stay my knowledge of AutoTheory is based on just the comprehensive manual, and that my own knowledge of harmonic theory is barely rudimentary. But here is how I see the two - offered here in the hope my misunderstandings will be picked up and corrected. 

AutoTheory makes no sounds so it requires connection by CV Note and Gate to up to four chord and four melody Instrument Devices enabling one finger to play chords together with a melody modified as necessary so it fits correctly harmonically. 

Patches with Scale and Chord information may be stored and recalled in the browser from the huge selection with which it's shipped. The device may be transposed to the relevant key. Patches may also be programmed, from scratch starting with one of the standard modes or by modifying one of the factory set. Where possible AutoTheory automatically names chords according to it's internal library.

Playing or sequencing the lower note input below the adjustable key split establishes the harmony. Single notes played above the split are modified to fit this harmony or a fixed chord, with four keyboard mappings available to assist composition. A Strummer mode attempts to output the chords notes sequentially as they might be played on the guitar.

ChordSet lets a single Note input between C2 to B2 to play a chord corresponding to the note data set in one of 12 slots, which form a patch which may be stored in the browser. It also makes no sound so must be connected by CV Note and Gate to enable chords to be played on an Instrument Device. A global transpose allows the key to be set to fit the piece one on which one is working. 

There are a number of patches covering standard progressions in various styles and others covering common scales.  Separate note data for each of the seven available notes in each slot is available, in parallel through separate CV output together with the root note for connecting to additional Instrument Devices to allow them to accompany the harmonic arrangement.

For myself, the choice is a difficult one. I intend to demo AutoTheory once ChordSet expires, as with it's chords plus scale correction it does seem to cover everything. I don't think I could spend on either without giving them a fair trial, maybe Quadelectra's Mercury too? 

AutoTheory may prove to be a more useful tool assisting learning, depending on ones ability - I certainly feel this was part of it's aim. I doubt I'll be following too closely behind Messiaen even with it's help but it might be interesting to experiment. The basic approach in Chordset does seem effective within it's scope though; it might be sufficient. 

I am looking at Chordset along with Ochen K's CV Tuner. I do wonder if CV Tuner still gives inconsistent results, which I recall reading someone experienced, as I am not certain my ears would pick up subtle errors. 

challism

04 Mar 2015

CV tuner is great fun!  I love hooking it up to a matrix and then randomizing a 32 step pattern, then alter it until it sounds like listenable.  It's really a good way to gain some random inspiration and come up with some musical ideas outside of your comfort zone.
I haven't noticed any inconsistencies with CV Tuner, but I have not been using it all that long (just got it about a week ago).  But I remember one of the users on here complaining about how it will make a B note a C note and vice versa (if both B and C are in the scale).
Anyway, I am strongly considering adding ChordSet to my happy, little RE family.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2015

challism wrote:CV tuner is great fun!  I love hooking it up to a matrix and then randomizing a 32 step pattern, then alter it until it sounds like listenable.  It's really a good way to gain some random inspiration and come up with some musical ideas outside of your comfort zone.
I have had fun with the CV Tuner and random Matrix too, coming up with funny little tunes I would never have consciously written. Good fun!
challism wrote:I haven't noticed any inconsistencies with CV Tuner, but I have not been using it all that long (just got it about a week ago).  But I remember one of the users on here complaining about how it will make a B note a C note and vice versa (if both B and C are in the scale).
That was where I picked this idea up that CV Tuner might be unreliable too. I see it has the up/down/random option so maybe it was an early incarnation, as I haven't heard any glaringly wrong notes so far. With my limited skill with music I tend to fiddle until something works not knowing what I am doing, so maybe I don't give my ears the credit they deserve. 
challism wrote:Anyway, I am strongly considering adding ChordSet to my happy, little RE family.
I have not eliminated getting both ChordSet and AutoTheory as I see they have different uses and I think I would be more confident and productive with a bit of help marshalling those wonderous little black and white dots we all love.

hamu

05 Mar 2015

challism wrote:I haven't noticed any inconsistencies with CV Tuner, but I have not been using it all that long (just got it about a week ago).  But I remember one of the users on here complaining about how it will make a B note a C note and vice versa (if both B and C are in the scale).
AJ_3000 wrote: That was where I picked this idea up that CV Tuner might be unreliable too. I see it has the up/down/random option so maybe it was an early incarnation, as I haven't heard any glaringly wrong notes so far. 
I guess that was me then. For most users it's probably no big deal, but I'm still getting the same oddities with the CV Tuner and what is most annoying is that I never got any word back from Ochen K. As I've mentioned I mailed him twice on his support page, but the last time was at least half a year ago.
I still enjoy the CV Tuner though, and admire it's simplicity of design.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures - and the combinator patch - confirming what I'm talking about. I simply split the cv out from the Matrix, sending one pair directly to a Subtractor. The other goes through a CV Tuner before ending up in a second Subtractor.
In the Matrix I make sure that all notes are included in the scale which is selected on the CV Tuner. Pattern A1 is a chromatic sequece while A2 is the C Major scale, so make sure you change Matrix pattern and CV Tuner scale at the same time.

When a note going into CV Tuner is included in the selected scale, that note should pass through unaffected. If it's not in the scale, it should be transposed ('rounded') to one of the closest notes in the scale. The ROUND knob setting specifies how the off scale notes should be rounded. Brilliant and simple idea! The glitch I'm talking about is very easy to spot when you listen to the two would-be unison Subtractors, and it's not affected by the ROUND setting.

Image  Image   
Well, that's about it. I'm using Reason 8.1 but from what I remember this was the same with Reason 7 too.
Attachments
CV-off-Tuner.zip
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

challism

07 Mar 2015

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.  Now that you point this out, this little glitch will probably start irritating me.  I am really surprised that Ochen K hasn't replied to your messages.  I wonder if he somehow hasn't gotten them?  I only say that because I am really surprised he would purposefully dismiss an email from another developer and customer, and I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  It seems really odd that he would just ignore an issue.  Anyway.... maybe he will see this thread and reply?

hamu

07 Mar 2015

challism wrote:Thanks for taking the time to explain this.  Now that you point this out, this little glitch will probably start irritating me.  I am really surprised that Ochen K hasn't replied to your messages.  I wonder if he somehow hasn't gotten them?  I only say that because I am really surprised he would purposefully dismiss an email from another developer and customer, and I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  It seems really odd that he would just ignore an issue.  Anyway.... maybe he will see this thread and reply?
I agree with you, and have high regards for Ochen. Most probably there was some issue with his support page at the time, and I didn't pursue it. Neither did I want to 'go public' on PUF, but I think I mentioned it as a side note somewhere. Now, I only brought it up here on that thread where someone was explicitely asking for buggy REs.

Even if Ochen would happen to notice this thread here and now, I would fully understand if he would hesitate to do anything about it. Mainly because it would most likely force CV Tuner into SDK 2... :frown:

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2015

hamu - Thanks for sharing the information and the combi; I hear now what you mean. 

• Information