Kuassa and Softube for guitar

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jfrichards

12 Feb 2015

dreampolice wrote:^^ Ha, your wahs are in the wrong spot in the signal path :P
Should it be after the amp?

Attachments
wah_signal.png
wah_signal.png (728.31 KiB) Viewed 2783 times

dreampolice

12 Feb 2015

Nope just like a pedal board it would go

Guitar-Wah-distortion pedal-time based effect pedals-amp

jfrichards

12 Feb 2015

dreampolice wrote:Nope just like a pedal board it would go Guitar-Wah-distortion pedal-time based effect pedals-amp
Chris, that's exactly what's there.

dreampolice

12 Feb 2015

Ha ha, cool I think it's just freaking me out because it's under the amp in the rack. But yup it's wired right man. My bad!

Last Alternative

12 Feb 2015

I have ALL of the amps- guitar & bass. I don't really have a favorite because it all depends on what sounds right in the song. I will say I stopped using the Line6 amps. Only the bass one was good. Shame we're losing them.
If you're using fx think about it like your pedals. They go first, or if you're the famous JFRichards they go after the amp in appearance but are hooked up fx first :nono: ..which looks weird but hey- he's weird and so am I. LOL and he makes some sick tones man!

All that matters is what sound you like but DEFINITELY use some rockin reference songs to compare! Sometimes I don't use an amp at all. Sometimes it's just a Scream and/or Pulverizer (and/or Audiomatic) if it sounds cool. The beauty of computer music is you can hook up anything any way you want with Reason and make sounds you could never do with hardware. REs are a big help sometimes.

After I find a good tone I have to EQ it to death because all these fake amps are hissy around 2kHz. But once I cut the shit out of that and HP ~150-200, then LP ~4-8kHz, then cut mids anywhere from 4-500, it sounds pretty damn good! And often my cuts go deep. I always cut first/raise volume to see.

Oh yeah- if I HAD to choose my favorite I'd say Vermilion. Man I wish Creme had tremelo & reverb too :/ but I actually like Creme more for its moderner sound. I always click thru the presets of all the amps with the whole song playing and then tweak whatever sounds closest to what I'm going for.

RRREALLLY looking forward to that Sitbull amp. What's the flippin delay already?!? LOL
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

guitfnky

12 Feb 2015

dreampolice wrote:^^ Ha, your wahs are in the wrong spot in the signal path :P
no such thing! :)

putting a wah post-distortion can give it some seriously cool character when done right. you should try it out if you haven't already.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jfrichards

12 Feb 2015

guitfnky wrote:...putting a wah post-distortion can give it some seriously cool character when done right. you should try it out if you haven't already.
Giles was nice enough to build in a fuzz-wah/wah-fuzz ordering switch in the X-Wah (4 parallel wahs with fuzz), and it really shows the difference and the usefulness:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rqujm8qtnndl ... h.cmb?dl=0

PS, the drastic double-spiked, heavily lo and hi-passed filtering curves in the X-Wah are great for mimicking guitar amps, even without any amp sim.  It works well with both the Kuassas and the Softube.
Attachments
X-wah_blue.png
X-wah_blue.png (126.11 KiB) Viewed 2770 times

Biolumin3sc3nt

12 Feb 2015

Yeah....there is no "correct way". (Inserts vs Sends) When I was in Full Sail back in 2003, I learned a lot from my instructors >- "Print It"! Just do it - Computer's failed - your girlfriend or your boyfriend left you...Maybe that was the motto of the day in it all! Hmmmm ....

Emotions...Technology....Lively hood - Whatcha gonna do?

This is a slightly intoxicated message - i hope u laughed at some point

gak

13 Feb 2015

THAT'S where you got that x-wah from! I was doing a search for it and came up bupkis. 

guitfnky

13 Feb 2015

guitfnky wrote:...putting a wah post-distortion can give it some seriously cool character when done right. you should try it out if you haven't already.
jfrichards wrote:
Giles was nice enough to build in a fuzz-wah/wah-fuzz ordering switch in the X-Wah (4 parallel wahs with fuzz), and it really shows the difference and the usefulness:
jfrichards wrote: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rqujm8qtnndl ... h.cmb?dl=0
jfrichards wrote:

PS, the drastic double-spiked, heavily lo and hi-passed filtering curves in the X-Wah are great for mimicking guitar amps, even without any amp sim.  It works well with both the Kuassas and the Softube.
ooh, I wasn't aware this existed. I'll have to check it out. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Marco Raaphorst

13 Feb 2015

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:I'm not a Guitar/ Bass player, but I was curious about how Logic Pro X's Amp Designer, and Guitar Rig 5 stack up against the Softube and Kuassa RE's?
I find Guitar Rig 5 harsh in the high end and doesn't feel as nice as Softube Amp (has everything to do with how on Amp the compression factor is great). In Reason you can build rigs you're not able to do with GR. I prefer Reason.

Rice

13 Feb 2015

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:I'm not a Guitar/ Bass player, but I was curious about how Logic Pro X's Amp Designer, and Guitar Rig 5 stack up against the Softube and Kuassa RE's?
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
I find Guitar Rig 5 harsh in the high end and doesn't feel as nice as Softube Amp (has everything to do with how on Amp the compression factor is great). In Reason you can build rigs you're not able to do with GR. I prefer Reason.
Marco, I would have to concur about Guitar Rig's high frequencies, it does seem a bit harsh to my ears. I thought maybe it was just me, because so many people rave about it. I actually find better uses for it with keyboards and vox than on guitar.

Biolumin3sc3nt

13 Feb 2015

I would also have to concur - I think it was the whole tone + amp sim and efx that captured my Shredder Dearests.

I got super Tipsy last night - So please take whatever I last said last night with a grain of salt - Oh hangover, How I hate thee

jfrichards

13 Feb 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Marco, are you familiar with Pixxylixxx?  He does a lot of guitar videos with Guitar Rig and TH2.  His style is heavily Les Paul and he seems to have mastered a wide palette of fabulous tones in both.  His high frequencies are well under control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZUSne426A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFof79thGXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMS4rU_RKRg

Marco Raaphorst

13 Feb 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
jfrichards wrote:
Marco, are you familiar with Pixxylixxx?  He does a lot of guitar videos with Guitar Rig and TH2.  His style is heavily Les Paul and he seems to have mastered a wide palette of fabulous tones in both.  His high frequencies are well under control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZUSne426A
jfrichards wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFof79thGXs
jfrichards wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMS4rU_RKRg

I am hearing an extreme compressor kicking in all the time here. Is it YouTube or the guy?

gak

13 Feb 2015

I love that Ibanez.

Something is going on with compression there. Not sure what. 

jfrichards

13 Feb 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:...
I am hearing an extreme compressor kicking in all the time here. Is it YouTube or the guy?
My point is that many people find the exact tones they want and love in numerous other guitar softwares.  Guitarists should try them out and decide.  Same with real amps.  I believe that Reason has become one of the top ten softwares for guitar, whether using Kuassa, Softube or effects patches.  It has a little ways to go for the extreme 5150/Engl sounds, but I think we'll see that within 2 years.

Bio, I like the Logic stock amps a lot, and I use Amplitube in it too.  With all the Reason/RE and Logic/AU possibilities, I have a lifetime of exploration ahead of me.  Sometimes it feels like I was offered all the amps in Guitar Center for $200.

Marco Raaphorst

13 Feb 2015

jfrichards wrote: My point is that many people find the exact tones they want and love in numerous other guitar softwares.  Guitarists should try them out and decide.  Same with real amps.  I believe that Reason has become one of the top ten softwares for guitar, whether using Kuassa, Softube or effects patches.  It has a little ways to go for the extreme 5150/Engl sounds, but I think we'll see that within 2 years.

Bio, I like the Logic stock amps a lot, and I use Amplitube in it too.  With all the Reason/RE and Logic/AU possibilities, I have a lifetime of exploration ahead of me.  Sometimes it feels like I was offered all the amps in Guitar Center for $200.
One of the sounds I always wanted in Reason is getting that fat neck pickup Strat sound like Stevie Ray Vaughn or Hendrix. I love Amp for that. 

jfrichards

13 Feb 2015

One of the sounds I always wanted in Reason is getting that fat neck pickup Strat sound like Stevie Ray Vaughn or Hendrix. I love Amp for that. 
Can you give an audio example?  Many have different ideas of what constitutes those sounds.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Feb 2015

for example something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gK0zGwC8M

that "complex mids" tone. overdriven yet super transparent without sounding shrill. 

jfrichards

14 Feb 2015

that "complex mids" tone. overdriven yet super transparent without sounding shrill. 
I meant an example using Softube Amp.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Feb 2015

Need to record it. Might do one day. But on Amp you can choose Crunch + Room (for Cabinet) to get that Vox modelling. Without or with Boost it sounds really good.

jfrichards

15 Feb 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:...But on Amp you can choose Crunch + Room (for Cabinet) to get that Vox modelling. Without or with Boost it sounds really good.
Sure does!

http://phead.mu/s/Q0Nzz38W

EddieG

16 Feb 2015

Awesome, killer track
and a great example of the wah Giles came up with

I got the trials loaded finally
there WAS a problem with the shop
they fixed it
Only a matter of time now ....
EddieG wrote:...Johns demo sounded like a real bass guitar...
jfrichards wrote:
Yes it was this time (a Spector).  Here it is again with Cerberus, and the guitar is Creme.
jfrichards wrote:
Here's the rack:
stratcatfl in the house !

jfrichards

17 Feb 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:...on Amp you can choose Crunch + Room (for Cabinet) to get that Vox modelling. Without or with Boost it sounds really good.
Here's one with the boost.  Serious sound.

Bass and piano are from Korde.

• Information