Selig Leveler

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ocean of Waves

01 Feb 2015

I found a new purpose for the Leveler, as a Bass Rider. Waves has a specific vst for this kind of application

I know Giles himself doesn't share my thoughts about automatic bass volume riding but in my experience with Metal music it helps to get an even bass sound, in that regard most Metal is a bit different and basically a wall of distortion, you don't want a dynamic bass sound

Anyway, I thought I should share this newly found application for the Leveler. I already love it for its real purpose and for experimental use on drums.

FATCheese

07 Feb 2015

Someday the leveler will be mine! Mhuhahahahahahahah! :comp:

But first.... Some other things music related.
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

gak

08 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:I found a new purpose for the Leveler, as a Bass Rider. Waves has a specific vst for this kind of application

I know Giles himself doesn't share my thoughts about automatic bass volume riding but in my experience with Metal music it helps to get an even bass sound, in that regard most Metal is a bit different and basically a wall of distortion, you don't want a dynamic bass sound

Anyway, I thought I should share this newly found application for the Leveler. I already love it for its real purpose and for experimental use on drums.
Bass rider is pretty good. It's going to be some time before I'm ready to demo this but it's nice to know there is an alternative in the reason realm. 

K1TTENM1TTEN

10 Feb 2015

I found a new purpose for the Leveler, as a Bass Rider.
I certainly don't want to come off as being snarky, but I honestly thought that the Leveler was basically an automatic volume rider (the RE equivalent of Waves Rider products)? So if it is meant to level signal volumes to be the same volume without boosting the line noise, humm, etc, wouldn't it make sense that it could auto-ride the bass? Or am I missing something (which really wouldn't surprise me if I am, haha)? 

Haha, that being said, I tried it and really liked it, but unfortunately it is a bit too much $$$ for my budget. That's not to say that the RE is overpriced, I just can't swing that much money at an RE any time soon.  :thumbup:

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:I found a new purpose for the Leveler, as a Bass Rider. Waves has a specific vst for this kind of application

I'm not sure what I said about automatic bass volume riding, maybe it was more to a specific device?

I've found the Leveler to be quite useful for bass. There's one additional area for synth bass where it's incredibly useful IMO, and that is when you use two oscillators and they are slightly detuned. Normally the level will rise and fall by around 6 dB with this type of patch, making consistent levels quite difficult to achieve. Enter the Leveler, which can smooth out changes like this for a nice solid low end punch.

It also works similarly on heavily phased or flanged material (or high res filter sweeps) to keep the level from changing so dramatically as the effect sweeps.

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ocean of Waves

10 Feb 2015

I found a new purpose for the Leveler, as a Bass Rider.
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
I certainly don't want to come off as being snarky, but I honestly thought that the Leveler was basically an automatic volume rider (the RE equivalent of Waves Rider products)? So if it is meant to level signal volumes to be the same volume without boosting the line noise, humm, etc, wouldn't it make sense that it could auto-ride the bass? Or am I missing something (which really wouldn't surprise me if I am, haha)? 
Yeah, you're right! I just hadn't thought about it  :s0717:

Theo.M

10 Feb 2015

A volume rider is a different thing which is what bass rider and vocal rider are.. basically automatic fader riders to keep the level of something consistent in the mix. They are replacements to a degree for volume automation. Something like leveler is to even out fluctuations in the sound itself. Unless I am misunderstanding it's capabilities, leveler doesn't listen to the entire mix and keep a certain signal at a constant relative level in the mix, does it? If so please, i would love to know as I would love an auto fader rider in reason.

selig
RE Developer

11 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:A volume rider is a different thing which is what bass rider and vocal rider are.. basically automatic fader riders to keep the level of something consistent in the mix. They are replacements to a degree for volume automation. Something like leveler is to even out fluctuations in the sound itself. Unless I am misunderstanding it's capabilities, leveler doesn't listen to the entire mix and keep a certain signal at a constant relative level in the mix, does it? If so please, i would love to know as I would love an auto fader rider in reason.
You are correct. I could probably add a feature that would hold the desired level at each attack like the bass rider, but those sort of things can be quite tricky to get right. 

On a more personal note, I'm not sure someone such as yourself who can appreciate 0.1 dB changes will be satisfied with something taking that control out of their hands! At best, these tools can only get things a little closer, right? And that part would be easy enough to do by ear IMO. But I DO appreciate the technology behind these types of products!

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Concep

11 Feb 2015

This sounds like another RE product opportunity for you, Selig.  "The Selig Rider"  You can have the name for free!  :thumbup:

K1TTENM1TTEN

11 Feb 2015

I could probably add a feature that would hold the desired level at each attack like the bass rider, but those sort of things can be quite tricky to get right. 
If you were to add that feature to Leveler, I would sell one of my extra controllers to pick up the Leveler immediately. If you do decide to, plllleeeeaaaassseee let me know! 

• Information