SA16-Chorus in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Shokstar

28 Jan 2015

Let´s give it a try :)

Last Alternative

28 Jan 2015

Checked out the demos earlier. Cheap and sounds amazing. Way better than the half-rack. I just might grab it.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Shokstar

28 Jan 2015

I was positive surprised by this RE because the GUI looks like crap but it sounds great for me and it´s a nice verity to all other Chorus device´s in Reason :)

5 Stars from my side 

Lizard

28 Jan 2015

I think saying it looks like crap may be harsh terminology but I will will agree that there are a few things there that probably should have had consideration.  1.  The Chorus Type and LFO Waveform drop downs are WAY larger than I think they need to be.  2.  The text would look a lot better centered within those boxes.  3.  The black logo on top of the darker image on the front plate makes in nearly unreadable.  4.  On the rear of the device I would have labeled the CV/Audio better.  I think most are smart enough to assume left is left and right is right and that the CV jacks are inputs but to new users it may not be.

All that said I have not heard it but seem to get a good vibe from all that are talking about it.  And $19 is cheap.  I'll probably get it to have fun.

Shokstar

28 Jan 2015

I agree with the delay time, a range of 1- 50ms would be nice. I think we should give this dev a chance to expand his RE. Maybe he should ask Synclab on Facebook to design his RE, because he is a great designer :)  

O1B

28 Jan 2015

Similar Products?  JP's Chenille, Synapse's DC-2,AirRaid's Relapse, ... maybe Polar, ... 90 (most phasers/shifters),.. Faturator...?
Nope!  

"Similar Prods" may need some work.  But on another note, the RE shop is looking WAVEy.
Similar products

dconana

28 Jan 2015

Looking forward to trying this. I like simple devices with clear controls. To be fair the GUI looks ok, just maybe could be arranged to look a little neater.

sharpblue

28 Jan 2015

yeah visually its a bit of an eye sore, it seems like the guy probably done it himself and graphic design is not his strong point ?, almost feel like volunteering to redesign the interface for free

platzangst

29 Jan 2015

The title label on the RE is crooked; this is obviously a deliberately "lo-fi" aesthetic. As such, the design might be just how the developer wants it...

challism

29 Jan 2015

My Chorus needs are pretty well covered/satisfied by owning Chenille.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Yonatan

29 Jan 2015

Wonderful to see new RE-developers in the shop. I think the RE market might develop into something very special if only the Props are able to make ppl stay and new to come.

My only problem with the design is actually that the text is so tiny, and that is for many REs, as the REs in the rack are not the easiest for the eye, at least not on a laptop display. I often tend to love a blue colour in the rack, making the tube tech a dangerous one for me...but not touching it again until a major sale.

Heater

29 Jan 2015

The sawtooth is more like a square wave.   :frown:

Shokstar

29 Jan 2015

challism wrote:My Chorus needs are pretty well covered/satisfied by owning Chenille.
I have all availible choruses for Reason and all are sounding different, so you can´t do anything wrong, if you have them all :D

LEDBOO

31 Jan 2015

so you can´t do anything wrong, if you have them all :D

I hear you on that bro. True.

It seems simple and effective. $19? I think I'm buying.

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2015

Just starting a Trial.

It seems to have a different sound which is good. I can live with the GUI.

However, what frustrates me is that the LFO doesn't go slow enough and the Delay has no CV access and is limited to a few steps. Seems a shame as limits some uses like Jet Flanging. A great shame as it leave the unit seeming half-finished.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Theo.M

09 Feb 2015

Just a heads up that an update for this was released today, a bug fix and minor gui change.

I actually quite like the sound of this, it's also very cheap, but the most surprising thing, it's VERY cpu efficient.. Will be looking out for more from this dev in the future.

it's so cheap, let's support them to encourage them to make more RE's!

Ocean of Waves

09 Feb 2015

Could you pitch me this chorus, because I don't know if I'm in need of one. The Jig one is (for me) a bit expensive to be justified.

Theo.M

09 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Could you pitch me this chorus, because I don't know if I'm in need of one. The Jig one is (for me) a bit expensive to be justified.
Well i'd say everyone needs a chorus. Chenille ultimately does sound better but is also a lot more complex mate. I find i always need to reverse engineer chenille presets and learn more each time i use it as i find it very confusing. 

What i can say is that this one is definitely better than the FSB one, and seems to sound great on acoustic guitar and pads which is what i have tried it on so far. The other thing I find interesting is that it has a specific mode to put chorus on bass, so is unique in that regard (reminds me of clone ensemble's bass chorus plugin).

Chorus is kind of an essential B&B. I think this one is good enough to be all the chorus you need, but for the ultimate lushness, chenille is the one, i have to be honest.
Whether chenille is needed is something only you can answer.

Would I buy chenille if this had been out at the same time and I had bought this? I still think so yes, cause chenille can make flimsy shitty sounds sound amazing. This can to a certain extent also, and is recommended as a good chorus effect. IMO of course.

Ocean of Waves

09 Feb 2015

My chorus needs are fulfilled with Echobode, but I'll try both Chenille and this one to hear with my own ears, thanks for the review

Carnstein

09 Feb 2015

I think it looks okay (aside from the crooked name which will drive me crazy). And it sounds pretty good so far so I think the price is probably right!
Hello!

gak

09 Feb 2015

A quick play and it's a far cry from the built-in chorus. Probably very useful. Good price. I wish it had a width control (doesn't really work using reasons w/c for a mono chorus) 

thor

21 Feb 2015

Did anyone compare the SA16 to the Echobode?

Echobode seems more versatile spec wise (and a bit more expensive of course), but it has been a while since I've tried it ...

Any thoughts on this? Sound quality wise?

Does Echobode comes close to Chenille?

gak

21 Feb 2015

echobode looks really cool, but what I like about SA-16 is it's a dedicated chorus. Also it's half the price, and is a good upgrade from the built-in chorus.

Tincture

21 Feb 2015

Well, I hate the bad / lazy look of this but will prob. give it a try now.

• Information