Hamu's Newtrol Patch Contest

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

28 Jan 2015

Welcome to the Hamu and Reasonistas'
Newtrol
Patch Contest and Community Refill

Image  Image  Image   

THE RULES
  1. Judge's decision is final
  2. Only 3 winners and level prizes described under "The Prizes". No cash alternative.
  3. Patch Contest begins on January 28th, 2015
  4. Song challenge ends on February 28th, 2015 @ 11:59 pm EST
  5. We are looking for quality, not quantity but there is no minimum and maximum limit to how many patches participants may contribute.
  6. All patches must be created using a Combinator that includes Selig Audio's ReMark Re to provide routing logic and accompanied by a Reason Song file demonstrating intended functions.
  7. All patches must be named as follows:  Patch Type - Patch Name - Name of Author
  • Example 1: Lead Club Lifter - NoelG
  • Example 2: Pad - Oasis - NoelG
  • Example 3: FX - Thunder - NoelG
Note: The above naming convention allows us to put the patch in the correct patch type folder and corresponding PUF member folder for the community refill.   These are the possible patch categories:
  • Arps
  • Basses
  • Beat
  • Brass
  • Chords
  • Drone
  • Drums
  • FX Insert
  • Gated
  • Hits
  • Keys
  • Leads
  • Pads
  • Percussion
  • Rhythmic
  • Sequenced
  • SFX
  • Textures
  • Voices & Choirs
What you may use:
  1. Hamu's Newtrol 8, Newtrol 12 and/or Newtrol 16 Rack Extensions
  2. Any native Reason devices
  3. Any free Rack Extension available in the Propellerhead Shop 
  4. Any free Reason refills
  5. Any self recorded external devices, instruments and/or vocals
  6. Collaboration for any of the above
What you may not use:
  1. No paid for Rack Extensions (other than Hamu's Newtrol 8, 12 and 16, and free Rack Extensions available in the Propellerhead Shop) 
  2. No paid for 3rd Party Refill patches or samples (due to specific end user licensing agreement)
  3. No copyrighted material

THE SUBMISSION
Please upload your custom Newtrol patches to either dropbox (https://db.tt/l8GEBkf) or copy.com (https://copy.com/?r=oJPo1U) and private message download links to NoelG.  We will add your patches to the Newtrol Judge's folder and eventual Community Refill.

We included in the following dropbox folder 3 sample files demonstrating how to setup Newtrol and also how to label each patch and sample reason song file using Selig's free ReMark Rack Extension device: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c6yfycvor0j2 ... Ilkka?dl=0

THE JUDGES The judging will be based off the following criteria:
  • Showcasing of Newtrol capabilities
  • Originality
  • CV Creativity

THE PRIZES
  • 1st Place Winner  -  All three Newtrol Rack Extensions
  • 2nd Place Winner - Two Newtrol Rack Extensions of choice
  • 3rd Place Winner - One Newtrol Rack Extension of choice
Please note winners will receive NFR (Not For Resale) Licenses, but they may donate the device(s) by providing Hamu with the Ph account name of the other person.

List of current contestants/contributors: (this will be updated as patches are added)
TBA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
0 patches - 0 contributors

Thanks to everyone that participates in the Newtrol patch contest and Community Refill. 
Good luck to everyone!
ImageImageImage

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2015

One question. Would these patches work with the older versions of this device? I own those, but won't buy the new ones.

hamu

29 Jan 2015

Despondo wrote:One question. Would these patches work with the older versions of this device? I own those, but won't buy the new ones.
No, not directly. RE, combinator and song patches all require the exact product they were saved with. 

If you choose to try a Newtrol to participate in the contest - you may have a good start if you're used to the ModPanel - you may want to convert what you create so you can continue to use it with ModPanel after your Newtrol try period ends. To achieve this you'll need to replace the Newtrol for the ModPanel by reconnecting all the cables. For any single Newtrol RE patch the labels too may be simple to copy and paste, but if you have many such '.repatch files you could consider editing them and simply run a search and replace for the product name etc.

However, since I have all of these (how come?), I plan to convert some - if not all - of the contributions to versions for ModPanels. How about that? :)

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2015

hamu wrote:However, since I have all of these (how come?), I plan to convert some - if not all - of the contributions to versions for ModPanels. How about that? :)
This would be great!  Perhaps both versions get included in the community refill??

Reasonistas
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

Wow, this is the first contest and refill community hosted here at ReasonTalk with only one person showing interest. :frown:   Anyone else participating that didn't comment?  Thanks.
ImageImageImage

raymondh

03 Feb 2015

Hi Noel

Just speaking for myself, I'm still a bit confused about what Newtrol actually is, and how I'd use it. Maybe that's why there hasn't been more uptake.
I did go and read up on it, and it looks like it's knobs and stuff for sending CV data to devices so you can have more real-time control, but I'm not really sure.
I have a control surface (Novation Remote SL Zero) that is gathering dust because it won't control rack extensions which are the main synths I use - now if this Newtrol thingy could be mapped to my Remote SL Zero so I could twiddle knobs to do things like changing the cutoff on a Polysix / Antidote / Predator, then its definitely of interest to me.

So in my case at least - it's a lack of understanding :)

cheers, Raymond

eusti

04 Feb 2015

In my case -as much as I like Hamu and his devices- I focus on the more (for me) central things in music making these days: Learning more about song writing, practicing singing again, basic mixing and all that... I fear I might get distracted by the finer points (CV, etc.) before having the main ingredients in place...

D.

Jagwah

04 Feb 2015

It's a cool competition but I already have three purple ones, to have three black ones it would actually take up a lot of space in my RE list.

hamu

04 Feb 2015

raymondh wrote: I have a control surface (Novation Remote SL Zero) that is gathering dust because it won't control rack extensions which are the main synths I use - now if this Newtrol thingy could be mapped to my Remote SL Zero so I could twiddle knobs to do things like changing the cutoff on a Polysix / Antidote / Predator, then its definitely of interest to me.
Let me ask you, Raymondh, if you're able to use your Novation Remote with the Props own devices, only not with your rack extensions?
If this is the case, it should be a small thing to map it to the Newtrols! I'd be happy to help you create a remote map for this. Contact me att support@hamu.se to get this going, and if we succeed we can upload the result here for others in similar situation.

On the other hand it should be quite easy to get it to control your rack extension instruments directly too. Just add the correct remote mapping definitions to the file "ReMOTE 25.remotemap" file in the ProgramDate\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps\Novation folder (Windows, probably different for Mac).

I don't have any Novation Remote, nor any of the RE synths you mention, but surely there must be remote maps available for those.

Emian

04 Feb 2015

hi i just read this, & am also kinda figuring out what they are exactly :D

i'm not at all a CV pro, but i do like to mess around with Euclid, CVmutant & recently Janitor.
so i might mess around with one of these Newtrol RE's , but to keep the ReFill quality i can't promise to upload anything, yet i'll give it a go ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

frog974new

05 Feb 2015

hi .

can i use french on the tooltips to the Remark or only English ..?

one demo track per patch ..? so if i made 3 patchs , need to send 3 demo tracks using those patchs or i can made one demo track with all those patchs ..?

hamu

05 Feb 2015

frog974new wrote:hi .

can i use french on the tooltips to the Remark or only English ..?

one demo track per patch ..? so if i made 3 patchs , need to send 3 demo tracks using those patchs or i can made one demo track with all those patchs ..?
Thanks for your interest!
Please use english on the ReMark labels. Not just for us in the jury, but also for future users of the patches from the final community refills.

Regarding demo songs, it's not so important to create a full audio song, since this is not what we are looking for. The important thing is that jury and users can understand how to use the combi patch(es) and/or complete song rack. 
One good way of doing this (not shown in the examples, sorry) is to record some midi and/or automation within Reason, so that we can just hit the Play button and appreciate the wonder of your ingenuity! This would be much more useful than sending in an mp3 track or a Soundcloud link, even if this might help too! ;)

Hope this makes sense?!
I'm not all that good at explaining...

raymondh

05 Feb 2015

raymondh wrote: I have a control surface (Novation Remote SL Zero) that is gathering dust because it won't control rack extensions which are the main synths I use - now if this Newtrol thingy could be mapped to my Remote SL Zero so I could twiddle knobs to do things like changing the cutoff on a Polysix / Antidote / Predator, then its definitely of interest to me.
hamu wrote:
Let me ask you, Raymondh, if you're able to use your Novation Remote with the Props own devices, only not with your rack extensions?
If this is the case, it should be a small thing to map it to the Newtrols! I'd be happy to help you create a remote map for this. Contact me att support@hamu.se to get this going, and if we succeed we can upload the result here for others in similar situation.

On the other hand it should be quite easy to get it to control your rack extension instruments directly too. Just add the correct remote mapping definitions to the file "ReMOTE 25.remotemap" file in the ProgramDate\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps\Novation folder (Windows, probably different for Mac).

I don't have any Novation Remote, nor any of the RE synths you mention, but surely there must be remote maps available for those.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Yes it can control the Props own devices. I'm using Automap. I think there's a native way to control devices rather than using automap, but I get confused on what I'd need to do. (In fact I don't really understand the difference between remote map and automap and how they work together!)

hamu

06 Feb 2015

raymondh wrote: Hi! Thanks for the reply. Yes it can control the Props own devices. I'm using Automap. I think there's a native way to control devices rather than using automap, but I get confused on what I'd need to do. (In fact I don't really understand the difference between remote map and automap and how they work together!)
As I said earlier, it seems the "ReMOTE 25.remotemap" would be the most fitting for the Novation Remote Zero SL. I have made an attempt to add a Newtrol-8 mapping to this file, but have no way of testing it. I'm attaching a zip file including the file.

I increased the version of the file to 1.5.0, from the previous 1.4.9 of my Reason 8.1 installation. For a quick review, the following is the mapping code I added at the end of the file, using a text editor (Notepad++):

Code: Select all

//Remote Map template for  Instrument  HaMu: Newtrol_8      
Scope  HaMu  se.hamu.Newtrol_8      
//  Control Surface Item  Key  Remotable Item  Scale  Mode

Map  Button 1    Momentary 1    
Map  Button 2    Momentary 2    
Map  Button 3    Momentary 3    
Map  Button 4    Momentary 4    
Map  Button 5    Momentary 5    
Map  Button 6    Momentary 6    
Map  Button 7    Momentary 7    
Map  Button 8    Momentary 8    

Map  Button 9    Toggle 1    
Map  Button 10    Toggle 2    
Map  Button 11    Toggle 3    
Map  Button 12    Toggle 4    
Map  Button 13    Toggle 5    
Map  Button 14    Toggle 6    
Map  Button 15    Toggle 7    
Map  Button 16    Toggle 8    

Map  Knob 1    A 1    
Map  Knob 2    A 2    
Map  Knob 3    A 3    
Map  Knob 4    A 4    
Map  Knob 5    A 5    
Map  Knob 6    A 6    
Map  Knob 7    A 7    
Map  Knob 8    A 8    

Map  Rotary 1    B 1    
Map  Rotary 2    B 2    
Map  Rotary 3    B 3    
Map  Rotary 4    B 4    
Map  Rotary 5    B 5    
Map  Rotary 6    B 6    
Map  Rotary 7    B 7    
Map  Rotary 8    B 8    

Map  Slider 1    Vertical 1    
Map  Slider 2    Vertical 2    
Map  Slider 3    Vertical 3    
Map  Slider 4    Vertical 4    
Map  Slider 5    Vertical 5    
Map  Slider 6    Vertical 6    
Map  Slider 7    Vertical 7    
Map  Slider 8    Vertical 8    

What you'd need to do to test this is to:
  • Find the file "ReMOTE 25.remote" on your computer
  • Rename it to e.g. "ReMOTE 25.original", just to keep it as a copy
  • Put the attached (unzipped) file in the same folder, to replace the one you renamed
  • Go to Prop Shop and Try the Newtrol-8, and download/sync
  • Connect you Zero SL so Reason can find it
  • Open Reason (must be done after the previous steps)
  • Open preferences - Control surfaces, click add
  •     Manufacturer:   Novation
  •     Model:              ReMOTE series
  •     Click Find (for MIDI input) to make sure Reason has contact with the Zero SL
  •     Click OK
  • Close preferences
  • Create a new instrument and choose Newtrol 8
  • Move a fader or knob on your Zero SL and check if the corresponding position on the Newtrol is moving accordingly
Hope this works for you (if you care to try). :)
From here on you need to play around with cables on the backplane, and maybe use a combinator to have CV signals affect settings on your rack extensions.

If it doesn't it will unfortunately be quite difficult for me do any fault finding since I don't have any Novation Remote...  :frown:
Attachments
ReMOTE_25.zip
(8.2 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Feb 2015

We have received patches from frog974new.

Only 13  days left to submit your patches to win:

• • Newtrol_16 CV Control Board
  • • Newtrol_12 CV Control Board
  • • Newtrol_8 CV Control Board
ImageImageImage

frog974new

15 Feb 2015

Noel G , i make the update with the good black panel
i'll resend all updated patchs with news patchs soon :)

frog974new

18 Feb 2015

Damn , those Re are pretty amazing .
More i spend time on those Re , more i like them ^^
still working on somes patchs .

( short demo of 2 personnal patch for this contest ).

frog974new

23 Feb 2015

hi Noel.G , just send new patchs
( a bit afraid , no notofications for the 2 PM i send you )
first : pack2 , and link DL
2nd : Pack3 , and link DL

whant to know if you've recieved those both PM ?

Reasonistas
RE Developer

24 Feb 2015

Sorry for any delay in responding. I confirm receipt of you PMs. Thank you.
ImageImageImage

hamu

26 Feb 2015

Noel G. wrote:  
Song challenge ends on February 28th, 2015 @ 11:59 pm EST
Thanks to everyone that participates in the Newtrol patch contest and Community Refill. 
Good luck to everyone!
Still a couple of days to go!  :s0230:

frog974new

26 Feb 2015

nice contest
i've missed those Re on the shop , never tryed before this challenge .
atm , very helpfull , each time i discover an other to way to use those Re

here new demo with some patchs i send for the contest

Reasonistas
RE Developer

27 Feb 2015

odarmonix

[color=#666666!important]1[/color]Find contentMessage
  • TitleDabbler
  • Posts2
  • Member SinceJan 16
  • Last ActiveOfflinean hour ago

We received patches from odarmonix
Only 1 day left to submit your patches to win:
  • • Newtrol_16 CV Control Board
  • • Newtrol_12 CV Control Board
  • • Newtrol_8 CV Control Board
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

09 Mar 2015

Thank you frog974new and odarmonix for taking time out of your schedules to participate in this contest.  
Its a shame only two people participated, but we are grateful for your contributions nonetheless.  We have carefully reviewed your song files and patches and are happy to announce the prizes as follows:

• Member frog074new wins the 1st place prize  -  All three Newtrol Rack Extensions
   Submitted 4 song files with 8 corresponding combinator patches.  

• Member "odarmonix" wins the 2nd and 3rd place prizes - All three Newtrol Rack Extensions
   Submitted 2 song files (1 without Distributor Re) with 2 corresponding combinator patches.  

We decided not to make a community refill, but the 6 songs files and 10 patches will be added to the Newtrol and ModPanel patch library.

Thank you again for your support and congratulations.

ImageImageImage

frog974new

09 Mar 2015

Thanks

as i said before i missed those Re on the Shp , only discover the Newtrol with this contest .
coming soon a full review ( fr ) on those Re , Newtrol + thor cv routing = great combo :s0230:

its a bit sad to see people afraid by those Re , its very easy to use and we can do amazing routing ( not only for remote control )

• Information