ABL3 Teasers and Rack Extension Announcement!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

28 Jan 2015

Teaser from February 13, 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZqxwSQUwE
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZqxwSQUwE<

Teaser from November 7, 2014:

"Rechecking some measurements for the ABL3 303 emulation engine. Note that most upgrades to ABL are limited to the sound engine alone, but there will be some extra goodies of course." -AudioRealism

Teaser from November 18, 2014:

"Spectrogram comparison between ABL3 and a TB-303. ABL3 is on top." -AudioRealism

Teaser from January 26, 2015:

The Ultimate Teaser from March 20, 2015:

https://www.facebook.com/AudioRealism/p ... 15/?type=1

Theo.M

28 Jan 2015

Sounds authentic, but i'd honestly rather have ABL pro split into a modular construction kit. ABL 2 is really a good enough TB303 clone and can sound very convincing in a mix. I think this is more a labour of love - basically striving for perfection.. Not for me as I am genuinely happy with ABL2 and matrix combo but I am sure Mike will nail it :)

joeyluck

28 Jan 2015

I'd love to see all of their plugins as REs.  And having ABL Pro with separate modules is certainly a cool idea.  And with Pepin's Front8, I'm much more interested in modular synths now in Reason.  Before I felt developers should put mirroring knobs on the back (which would still be welcome).

But I'm definitely going to be getting the ABL3.  AudioRealism's prices are excellent.  That and maybe the ABL3 RE will feature more of what was missing from the ABL2 RE?  *fingers crossed*

Whoopdee

28 Jan 2015

As much as I am happy with the ABL2, I'm not content. This ABL3 demo sounds fantastic, better than ReBirth!

Juan Rosa

29 Jan 2015

Cuestion: ABL2 will be upgrade to ABL3?

joeyluck

30 Jan 2015

Juan Rosa wrote:Cuestion: ABL2 will be upgrade to ABL3?
Not sure if you are asking if ABL3 will be an upgrade to ABL2 or if there will there be an upgrade option from ABL2 to ABL3...  It will be a separate device and there will be an upgrade deal for owners of ABL2.  AudioRealism had this to say:

https://www.facebook.com/AudioRealism/p ... 5561523734

"Ok, since we're getting mail every day about ABL3 here's the latest status: We're working hard on bringing it out as a plug-in in some format, but it's definitely not ready for prime-time yet. The new audio engine is pretty much done and tested every day against 303s so we will be showing it off as much as you users want. Meanwhile there is no actual plug-in to test just yet, and we may miss our original target to get something out with the ABL3 this year. But certainly working towards that goal..!

FAQ: Is it a good idea to buy ABL2 when ABL3 is in the pipeline?
Answer: Well it depends on your needs, ABL2 is still a very good emulation and all ABL2 users will be getting an upgrade deal when ABL3 comes out. Those users who buy ABL2 right before ABL3 comes out will most likely not be charged at all for the upgrade.
FAQ: What changes are made to the ABL2 engine? 
Answer: ABL3 is a total rewrite of the analog emulation engine. The goal since ABL1.0 has always been to deliver the best 303 emulation possible, and as we learn more about how the 303 works and upgrading the lab equipment we can improve a lot of things. ALL improvements are minor but combined they really do make a difference in the sound and feel of ABL3. Simply put in video terms: if ABL2 is SD, ABL3 is a HD version of the emulation.
FAQ: The Reason version ABL2 sounds not as good as the VST. 
Answer: It should sound exactly the same (except for the lack of built-in sequencer). Just make sure most note lengths are 50% unless they are slides or ties. If it still doesn't sound nearly the same as the VST then that's a bug and something we need to look into. Don't hesitate to send us audio examples of ABL2 RE not performing and we'll have a look at it.
FAQ: Will ABL3 feature ZDF (zero delay feedback/filters)? 
Answer: Touchy question. ZDF is one of the industries latest catch words and while many products offer ZDF, many older products could be described as using ZDF even without the developer knowing it. Rest assured that the filters used in ABL3 maintain most of the features that ZDF have but at the same time aim at emulating the 303's filters particular diode setup. And we still maintain the 303 filter is a 4-pole lowpass with 18-24dB/octave response (in hearable region). All 4-pole filters are asymptotically 24dB/octave.
Any other questions? Don't hesitate to ask!"

Faastwalker

31 Jan 2015

Is this coming to Reason? Sounds pretty bloody good to me. I never bought ABL2. But I'd definitely pull the trigger on this one ;)

Juan Rosa

01 Feb 2015

In RE format?

joeyluck

01 Feb 2015

Pretty sure it will be available as a RE.  I think there was more about this in the PUF, but of course, I can't pull that up now...

Jagwah

01 Feb 2015

Yes it is coming to Reason I remember the dev discussing it on the PUF. What a shame all those devs didn't migrate here with us, I think that's the most unfortunate fragmentation of our community caused by the PUF's closure.

joeyluck

01 Feb 2015

Jagwah wrote: Yes it is coming to Reason I remember the dev discussing it on the PUF. What a shame all those devs didn't migrate here with us, I think that's the most unfortunate fragmentation of our community caused by the PUF's closure.
Mike of AudioRealism is here.  Maybe not habit yet to check in on us.
I assume he's busy with ABL3... :)

Juan Rosa

02 Feb 2015

Better graphics i hope, the RE version of ABL2 its a very hugly RE.  :P

joeyluck

20 Mar 2015

OMG YES!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/AudioRealism/p ... =1&theater

Was hopeful for a sequencer... But wasn't sure what to expect.

This is awesome!

PS: Thanks Kevyn for the link via the Rack Extensionists Facebook group! :)

joeyluck

20 Mar 2015

What's also really cool besides this thing looking amazing, sounding amazing, and having a sequencer is that it will be released first as a RE (check the link in the last post).

I mean, the best 303 emulation out there... with ABL2 being one of the most sought after and this which is certainly going to be THE most sought after 303 emulation and in high demand will be in Reason/RE format first.
:s0221:

Olivier

20 Mar 2015

This is very very cool. I hope the sequencer is going to have CV out !
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

pjeudy

20 Mar 2015

Been waiting for this to come out, there will acid poured all over my Reason SSL console :-)

The latest quote from there Facebook page:

After a long time in development we're happy to announce that ABL3 is coming to Reason first as a Rack Extension..!

Short back history of ABL (for those who don't know).
ABL1 was released in 2003 and became quickly one of the most popular 303 emulations as a VST plug-in. ABL2 improved on that and was released 2007. ABL3 is the latest version of our 303 emulation platform.

The ABL3 engine is a complete rewrite from scratch and has been in development for many years with the single goal of making the most authentic 303 emulation possible. With ABL3 we hope it will set a new benchmark in analog emulation. And we're bringing it to Reason first.

Features
- Extremely authentic 303 emulation using our ABL3 engine
- Ultra natural knob response, tuned to match the original 303 both in range and response
- Built-in 303/Rebirth style step sequencer with 64 steps
- 200+ bundled preset patterns
- Hard sync to the host's transport
- Supports 4 patterns of 16 steps, 2 patterns of 32 steps or 1 pattern of 64 steps
- CV/Gate input to control the sound engine externally
- CV/Gate output to control other Reason devices from the step sequencer
- CV Modulation inputs for Tuning, Cutoff, etc.
- Resonance and Gate Time trimmers that allow tweaking the emulation to your liking
- Three different VCO Models
- Settings for VCA Clicks and VCA Noise
- Pattern modifiers with Random, Alter, Copy, Paste functions
- Unique vibrato which is activated by setting UP+DOWN on steps. This effect is one of the few extensions to the 303 that we are launching ABL3 with.
- Full 48 and 96kHz support, which means the engine uses the full bandwidth of the project setting

Requires Reason 7.1 or later. Appearance and features are subject to change. Release date and price TBA.

Now we know that a lot of users are waiting for the VST/AU version, which is still very much in the pipeline. But sit tight, it will also be out as soon as possible.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

EnochLight

20 Mar 2015

Let acid live!  

On a slightly related note, I posted this in the kitchen the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUR3R0Qqw

;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pjeudy

20 Mar 2015

A user on facebook asked good question...where is the distortion and drive knobs ? PLEASE. tell me it's just hidden somewhere on the RE UI?please with sugar on top !!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Biolumin3sc3nt

20 Mar 2015

Yes!!!! I'm super stoked about this. I was very much hoping there was gonna be a vca clicks option, cuz i think the AU version sounds better to be honest. Wasn't expecting a sequencer, now it's icing on the cake. And RE first?... Woot Woot!

Exowildebeest

20 Mar 2015

Superawesome news :)

electrofux

20 Mar 2015

Whoopdee wrote:As much as I am happy with the ABL2, I'm not content. This ABL3 demo sounds fantastic, better than ReBirth!
Yeah me too.

riemac

20 Mar 2015

This is great, will buy it when it hits the shop.

There seems to be no more seturation or overdrive.

frog974new

20 Mar 2015

still waiting that's one ^^
its seems there's a good update from the ABL2

EnochLight

20 Mar 2015

pjeudy wrote:A user on facebook asked good question...where is the distortion and drive knobs ? PLEASE. tell me it's just hidden somewhere on the RE UI?please with sugar on top !!
The original TB303, which this is modelled after, had neither.  That said, there's tons of distortion and drive options in Reason.  Expect to add your own, Combi, etc.   ;)

Attachments
303.jpg
303.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 2535 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information