Nucleus SoundLab please make a RE Synth

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
riemac

27 Jan 2015

After the release of Beat Crush I would really like to see a Synth from Nucleus SoundLab.

Beat Crush has already many features for a Synth (for example Filters, LFO and ENV).
And it is realy good looking, very similar to Spire.

I would like a Synth with unison and detune Oscillators like Spire.

Anybody else, who would like that?

PadShifta

27 Jan 2015

I agree with you. Would really like to see a Synth from them. They did an awsome job on their first RE FX. Maybe we'll get lucky in 2015!!

Ecopro

28 Jan 2015

Guys! It would be nice of them to release a Synth of their own. While you wait though, check out the TRES Mono Synth. It comes with over 200 patches, developed in conjunction with Nucleus Sound Lab. It has a good price, plus it sounds super analog. 
Guts Electronic Mayhem

childofsaturn

28 Jan 2015

I agree, Tres is a very nice mono synth that sounds very analog. Something that I think frustrates most people, including myself, is the velocity curve is very unnatural and makes it annoying to browse the presets. I'm not at my home computer right now to have a reminder how to disable it, but I recommend browsing the patches with your controller keyboard's velocity sensitivity turned off if the velocity curve frustrates you.

JeremyNSL

23 Feb 2015

Hey there,

Thanks so much for the feedback!  A RE synth is definitely a possibility for the future.

If anyone has specific features they'd be interested in a NSL synth, feel free to post them here.  I'm listening.
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

Olivier

23 Feb 2015

I Totally love Beat Crush. The 12 selectable, invertable bits gives such an awesome amount of control. (too bad the inverts aren't CV'able though)
Very innovative, never seen anything like it. Like it !
I'd be curious what you guys would do to a sampler once Re's are able to load user samples. If you would take an approach to modifiying samples like you did with the way you can work bits in Beat Crush, then we may be in for something surprising.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

JeremyNSL

23 Feb 2015

psssst...  I have a secret for you...  Well actually not a secret, it's in the manual I think :)
The inverts are CV modulatable.  Each bit has a bipolar CV input.  If you go fully in one direction, you get invert, in the other, you get off.  In the center, you get on.

Actually I may have messed that up just a bit but if you check in the manual all the details should be there!

On a sampler - we'd love to do one but without breaking NDA I can only say it looks unlikely at the moment.
eauhm wrote:I Totally love Beat Crush. The 12 selectable, invertable bits gives such an awesome amount of control. (too bad the inverts aren't CV'able though)
Very innovative, never seen anything like it. Like it !
I'd be curious what you guys would do to a sampler once Re's are able to load user samples. If you would take an approach to modifiying samples like you did with the way you can work bits in Beat Crush, then we may be in for something surprising.
Owner/Lead Designer
Nucleus SoundLab

Olivier

23 Feb 2015

JeremyNSL wrote:psssst...  I have a secret for you...  Well actually not a secret, it's in the manual I think :)
The inverts are CV modulatable.  Each bit has a bipolar CV input.  If you go fully in one direction, you get invert, in the other, you get off.  In the center, you get on.
Thats what i get for not reading the manual. Thanks ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

riemac

24 Feb 2015

Hi Jeremy,
it is very exciting to hear that you are considering a RE synth.
Here are some ideas from me for possible features:
4 Oscillators, so that you can use one as Sub-Osc and another for Noise and you got still two other Oscillators. That is something I miss with Antidote, where you have to sacrifice one of the two main Oscillators for Noise.
Don’t waste space for the four Oscillators on the UI. All four Oscillators should have the same parameters so you could switch between them with one set off knobs.
For each Oscillator there should be a setting for
o   Free running / retrigger
o   Number of Voices (0-8)
o   Detune
o   Stereo Spread
o   Maybe a setting for different modes of detuning (linear, supersaw, etc.)

The synth should have two Filters with serial and parallel modes and an option to choose which Oscillator is routet to which filter. 

Overdrive for the filters (like Thor filters)
LFO’s should reach into the audio range for fast FM modulation.
3 ENV’s so one can be used for pitch (maybe switchable)
Modulation Matrix

Don’t bother with FX, there are already a lot in Reason.
Please consider CPU efficiency. Switches to turn on/off the Filters and Oscillators. If oversampling is used, please implement an option to turn it off.

Thanxs 

Juan Rosa

26 Feb 2015

Beautiful RE Please!! ABL2 look like a bad combinator skin! if the SDK gives the posibility to fold like Thor, NNXT or Dr Octo Rex use it to save space, include Vocoder and if is possible hardtune and harmony or develop that devices later.  :wave:

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2015

I hope it is not asking for the Moon on a stick, but i would like to see something unique, something different and surprising which I could never have dreamed of hearing - like the 'Sign' on BeatCrush , which I certainly have never seen feature on a bit reduction plugin elsewhere and which adds a novel twist to the sound palette offered . 
riemac wrote:`Don’t waste space for the four Oscillators on the UI. All four Oscillators should have the same parameters so you could switch between them with one set off knobs.
personally i have a different view from riemac, please have a GUI giving everything a separate control, to avoid digging around for parameters.  it's a difficult challenge avoiding a cluttered confusion but it can be done. i feel this is an aid to creative flow if implemented properly -which I have no doubt will be the case on NSL's devices , BeatCrush being a prime example of a very well thought out GUI.

i would welcome a CPU load options - perhaps draft, regular and high quality - to keep the burden on the processor under control . 

i agree regards internal effects as mentioned above in that there are many alternative options . if they do feature, an external input would  allow the effects , the envelope  and the filters to be used for other signals.   if the fx can  be  disabled to conserve CPU when not needed it would be useful.

riemac

27 Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_3000
please have a GUI giving everything a separate control, to avoid digging around for parameters. 

Normaly I would agree with you, when space is no concern. But with Rack Extensions space is limited.
Look at Predator as Rack Extension (which by the way is a great Synth) and compare it to the VST version. The VST with all oscillators layed out on the UI is very intuitiv vs. the RE, which is very cramped.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2015

I would myself hope with some clever attention to detail the cluttering which befell RP's RE synth could be avoided - without too much of by way of compromises or sacrifice of features . Agreed this is not an easy task.

To me a well designed UI working ergonomically is a true thing of beauty wherever it's found. Personally I like nice clean graphics above the trend to  emulating physical designs: Ableton is a superlative example of what I personally feel makes an effective UI, although I know there will be many who vehemently disagree with it being described as beautiful!

I haven't tried RP 's Predator in Reason but I do agree it's an excellent  VST. It's one synth where the extensive effects suite can imho make a big contribution to the quality of it's patches. 

• Information