RE News: DNA Labs's first Rack Extension announced: Hydronexius 6

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrochoc (PRX-A)

27 Jan 2015

For those who were wondering if any IDT Rack Extensions were eventually coming, it now seems that one more player will at least join the game relatively soon. DNA Labs, a ReFill developer who has a pretty extensive list of offered ReFills as well as some simple VST instruments, has published informations on his website about an upcoming IDT RE, Hydronexius 6!

From DNA Labs website:
The Hydronexius 6 is DNA Labs first rack extension and it is going to be loaded with high quality processed, filtered, equalized, fat, ultra wide, unique, new synth sounds, brass, strings, piano, bells, plucked, 808 bass, and edm bass! 6 Hydro filters, dual delay with 13 parameters, hd reverb with 7 parameters, a professional 20ms stereo imager, voice polyphony control, midi note recognition, 3rd order harmonic analog distortion emulation processing, dual smooth output meter monitors, and a global adsr panel!
The only thing about this announcement is that we don't know how old it is. DNA Labs, unless I missed something, doesn't seem to be very active on Reason-related forums or social medias. So this announcement might be online for a while, as well as it might have been published in the last hours! I'll try to get some more details, but, for now, let's assume that Hydronexius 6 is somehow in the pipeline to the RE shop! :D

Source: http://dna-labs-software.com/rack_exten ... eview.html
Attachments
HYDRONEXIUS_MOCKUP_darker_790x413.jpg
HYDRONEXIUS_MOCKUP_darker_790x413.jpg (137.15 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Exowildebeest

27 Jan 2015

I think Scotty can't improve on that GUI  :t0305:

Noise
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2015

OMG! Radioactive colors!
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

tiker01

27 Jan 2015

electrochoc wrote: The only thing about this announcement is that we don't know how old it is. DNA Labs, unless I missed something, doesn't seem to be very active on Reason-related forums or social medias. So this announcement might be online for a while, as well as it might have been published in the last hours! I'll try to get some more details, but, for now, let's assume that Hydronexius 6 is somehow in the pipeline to the RE shop! :D

Source: http://dna-labs-software.com/rack_exten ... eview.html
They have released recently a  :gaNIZRn:  for Quad Image

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Tumble

27 Jan 2015

I'm sorry, but that GUI is completely nauseating.

O1B

28 Jan 2015

Don't be sorry; be Constructive.
Tumble wrote:I'm sorry, but that GUI is completely nauseating.
What's not to like?

esselfortium

28 Jan 2015

O1B wrote:Don't be sorry; be Constructive.
Tumble wrote:I'm sorry, but that GUI is completely nauseating.
O1B wrote:
What's not to like?
Are you the developer? I'll see if I can explain some of the things that immediately jump out at me as aesthetic issues.

The controls don't seem to be arranged in any particular order. There are beveled outlines that appear to split it into sections, but they don't always correspond to functionality. Reverb is split across three different sections on the left, with voice polyphony, mod/pitch wheels, and an "imager" knob arbitrarily placed alongside them. The buttons to enable reverb and delay are nowhere near the most important controls for those effects. If you have a bunch of controls that all affect a single thing, you'll usually want to visually group them together. Assuming that the user will read (more or less) from left to right and top to bottom is also helpful, both in arranging the controls for each group, and in determining where to position the groups in relation to each other, and what to make larger or smaller. What are the most important controls for shaping the sound? I can't really tell right now.

The fonts aren't antialiased and have jaggy edges. Antialiasing would look more appealing, and also more consistent with other Reason rack devices. If you want to use a font without antialiasing for the patch-selection display, make sure to scale it so that it doesn't display uneven scaling artifacts when drawn at the standard Reason rack size. (The current font looks like it has, at the least, kerning issues caused by uneven scaling and/or lack of antialiasing.) I think there are a couple of standard fonts for the patch selection displays in Reason. Using one of those would be the easiest way to make it look right.

The beveling around edges looks very awkward and unnatural, both due to the shapes used and the blurry 'pillowish' appearance of the highlights and shadows. The worst offenders are the cable/plug coming from the MIDI light, and the r-shaped indents to the sides of the HP and LP knobs, but this applies to many of the other pieces as well. They end up looking more like filtered blobs than real materials.

The fully-saturated cyan, green, and magenta make for an unappealing combination. Cyan, green, and magenta can work well together, but would look better with different hue and saturation values picked by an expert with an eye for color. Generally the more colors you're using together, the more of a challenge it will be to make them work together appealingly. There also seems to be some inconsistency in what each color represents -- sometimes purple and green are used to signify high pass and low pass, respectively, but other times those colors are used for entirely different things. As a result, it looks like a random jumble of cyan, green, magenta, and gray. For this device, you would probably be best off using just the neutral gray plus a single highlight color, rather than three.

There's a bunch of wasted space in the middle from the giant MIDI light thing(?), and other parts could probably be rearranged to take up less space. Take a close look at how similar functionality has been set up in the stock Reason devices, there are lots of good examples.

I hope some of this advice is helpful!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

28 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:This must be a mockup?  Because the label wouldn't look like that would it?
I'd say yes it's a mockup based on the text used for the tape strip, which dev's have no control over. 

The graphic isn't necessarily lo-res - check out the smooth curves of the background/panel - nice and smooth. It's only the text that is suprer-pixelated as far as I can see. Could also be the image has been stretched (unintentionally, I'd guess), as even the bypass text looks a bit odd. 

Interesting that it's a sample player, but there's only FX controls on the front panel (besides the global ADSR). Could be it changes substantially by the final release, who knows!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

JoshuaPhilgarlic

28 Jan 2015

selig wrote:Interesting that it's a sample player, but there's only FX controls on the front panel (besides the global ADSR). Could be it changes substantially by the final release, who knows!
:)
Yep, the website says it's a sample-based instrument. But where can the sound be selected? And what the hell is the Bypass switch good for in an instrument :? ???

MDTerps2015

28 Jan 2015

I always ask the question in Props forum if this company was reputable because of their synth page. Never heard of them and their synth combis look a little weird. Does anyone have any of those synths combis, do they look like that in the rack, and what do they sound like????????? I ran into their page a while back but wouldnt buy anything because I didnt know what the heck i was looking at on their page. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Jagwah

29 Jan 2015

redmanmasonji wrote:I always ask the question in Props forum if this company was reputable because of their synth page. Never heard of them and their synth combis look a little weird. Does anyone have any of those synths combis, do they look like that in the rack, and what do they sound like????????? I ran into their page a while back but wouldnt buy anything because I didnt know what the heck i was looking at on their page. 
Looking at their VST page and I can't tell if it's real or a scam, certainly questionable.

MirEko

29 Jan 2015

:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

DOKTOR242

01 Feb 2015

Indeed, looks very unattractive....

secretservkgb

17 Feb 2015

I bought a few of their refills.  They know how to make some very unique sounds.  I go to those refills a lot...

On the same hand, they have a lot of sounds that are a miss (low quality, too much reverb, high treble).

EnochLight

18 Feb 2015

MirEko wrote:Image
LMAO!!!!!  I have no idea how I missed this, but thanks.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

motuscott

18 Feb 2015

MirEko wrote:Image
I absolutely must find a use for this GIF 
and yet I'm uncertain what is being expressed.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information