New extension from DLD - chose the layout!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
PadShifta

27 Jan 2015

We love screens, don´t we?? First design will do great. Thank you :thumbup:

PadShifta

ImageImageImage :rkjb93K: ImageImageImage

Djstarski

27 Jan 2015

The first one looks good to me .

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2015

I'm gonna be the dissenter here as while the first definitely looks more exciting I think the second is going to make far more sense in use, esp if those knobs are in order of use. I think the first breaks the flow which makes it seem all funky but will see the user darting all over the place. That Mod Wheel is a broken convention if ever I saw one which is either a master stroke or just asking for trouble from confused users.

#2 is more elegant with the possible exception of the Zoom slider which seems over-sized so maybe use a knob that is plainer than the main knobs to denote lesser function.

:)

Wha! no snake heads  :s0717:
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Olivier

27 Jan 2015

I'm with Benedict on this.
Whenever there's a workflow scenario that dictates the order in which to alter parameters then i would like to see this reflected in the order of the interface elements.
In that respect #2 seems to be more elegant to me too. Granted, i don't know the exact purpose of the device... but i have a hunch :P

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

snowcat

27 Jan 2015

The first one.
Invent the life you want to live.

craven

27 Jan 2015

Grinder One wrote:I like the simplicity of the 2nd one as well as the symmetry. The rotaries are spaced better and the thing just looks less clustered as a whole. I also prefer the centered patch window. I really do like the meters on the top one though, but it does look like everything has been squeezed in and I think the elevation would be better off being replaced with a matching fader type like the zoom.

The more I look at it, the more the top one screams 'show off...look at all my buttons and lights, but I feel  messy', where as the bottom one speaks, sense, organisation and job done.

Final verdict, the bottom one for me.

Mart.
same here, the second one is much cleaner. Then again, not knowing how central the screen is for the usage, makes it tough to decide.
:ugeek:

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2015

The first one draws me in much more than the second - like so many others have said, that's about all we can comment on not knowing the application. And it would be a shame to make a decision based on looks alone IMO.

I agree the "mismatch" between the Zoom slider and the Elevation wheel is odd. They should both the the same control type IMO. Again, like all other comments this one is in a vacuum because we have no idea the importance of each control.

But it seems like a very interesting device regardless - can't wait to see what you've come up with here!

Selig Audio, LLC

DLDTech

27 Jan 2015

OK - Thanks all - I think the current version is the clear preference.

Will release more info as we get closer to release!
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

scifunk

27 Jan 2015

Only rough:  Image 
Attachments
revolutionXX.jpg
revolutionXX.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2015

scifunk wrote:Only rough:  Image 
That is far more usable whilst staying exciting

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

joeyluck

27 Jan 2015

Benedict wrote:
That is far more usable whilst staying exciting

Could it be that it was a pitch wheel rather than a mod wheel because they want 'elevation' to spring to center?  Would be helpful to hear more about this.

Rice

27 Jan 2015

I'm digging the first one

Grinder One

27 Jan 2015

Yea, I like that too.

Grinder One

27 Jan 2015

jonheal wrote:I think the second option with the grouped knobs works better visually, but they are both very professional looking and worlds beyond most of the REs in the Shop. And this statement is in regards to how REs look, not sound. No personal disrespect aimed at RE developers, but if you are not a designer, beg borrow or steal one to help you with your interface!
Agreed. I think a RE should look like a piece of equipment, some of them look like toys. I think the above prototype would sit very nicely underneath the NNXT for example, and that's the standard I would set myself if I were to develope RE's.

Some of my favourite RE's are free ones, CV8 from aftermath and MorfinXF from Groovy Melon aswell as Blamsofts polymodular...just because they don't cheapen my rack. And look at how great DLD's own CV Gateway looks in your rack. There are other favs of course but these few spring to mind because they're well built yet, free.

I also think it should be mandatory to fit the bypass switch. And CV in/out for as much as possible...I just love wires :)

Mart.

jjpscott01

27 Jan 2015

First one wins for me 
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X5 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

Karim
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2015

First one with no doubt!
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2015

First one.

Ocean of Waves

28 Jan 2015

I wanna know what it does! Some sort of Binaural Convolution panner thing?

CharlyCharlzz

28 Jan 2015

1st one , meters and center .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

sharpblue

29 Jan 2015

if you shrank and stacked the 6 knobs in the second version on top of one another would you still be able to fit the right/left meters on each side of the knobs ?

Janvier

30 Jan 2015

The first one ! But here some idea

1. Personally I would say, remove the fader and works only with Mod Wheel for elevation and zoom parameters.

2. Left/Right bar graph display are to big. I would use something slicker. Combine each side on one bargraph. Reduce Y axis, add some 
column to the bargraph (if possible) to spread over X axis). Position it to bottom left. 

3. Reduce size of knobs Angle, Distance, Feedback, position them on the horizontal between Revolution and the bargraph explain in 2)

4. Move faders or ModWheel Zoom, Elevation on the right side beside the room display.

5. For Dry/Wet, use a bigger knob than Angle, Distance and Feedback. Positionned on the Right side

selig
RE Developer

30 Jan 2015

Can I change my vote to this one?!? ;)

This looks damn near perfect ("only rough" - really?), said as before without any knowledge of whether it makes any sense or not in the context of the intended function of the device. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

scifunk

30 Jan 2015

Thanks Selig. Rough as in a few bits dont line up and the faceplate colouring is a bit off here and there where I just clone stamped it. But it gives the idea. 

Someone mentioned that the elevation might need a pitch wheel for the 'spring back', I would imagine you could code a slider to do the same thing, or map it to a physical pitch wheel. 

• Information