To Ozone or no to Ozone?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

20 Jan 2015

Tried this & liked it. A nice simple way to boost levels up, no fuss, no mess, no skills required to be honest! Not pulled the trigger on this one yet though. Should I? Seems like a no brainer for $50. But what are the alternatives, if any, at this price point? Or should I spend more on an alternative RE & get something better / more capable? 

dreampolice

20 Jan 2015

Do it. Best maximizer in reason no question.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Onyx is a very valid alternative these days with ultra low latency and some analog saturation modelling.. I think you should test both head to head on a few mixes that represent your overall style of music, if possible. Cheers

Shed69

20 Jan 2015

Completely agree with dreampolice, easily the best - simple to use, always produces fantastic results. I honestly can't think of a single moment I've ever regretted pushing the buy button for that one, I'd be lost without it. I trialled it alongside Titan... which was nice enough but somehow lacking in comparison, just didn't sound as polished as Ozone to me.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Shed69 wrote:Completely agree with dreampolice, easily the best - simple to use, always produces fantastic results. I honestly can't think of a single moment I've ever regretted pushing the buy button for that one, I'd be lost without it. I trialled it alongside Titan... which was nice enough but somehow lacking in comparison, just didn't sound as polished as Ozone to me.
titan distorts a lot more in my tests, BUT... i have read some swear by it.. YMMV..

I'm with you though, Ozone over Titan for mastering limiter *for sure*.

But Onyx from the same company who made Titan, really IS worth a look.

Shed69

20 Jan 2015

Originally Posted by Theo.M
I'll admit to not really giving Onyx a fair run. I did try it, but with already having Ozone it didn't warrant a purchase for me. But, for anyone like the OP looking then I'd certainly compare both - may save you a little money if it fits the bill :)

CephaloPod

21 Jan 2015

Ozone is one of my very few "must have" REs.  It's at the end of the signal chain in every one of my songs.  It makes every song louder and punchier, and does so transparently unless you really abuse it.  And it gives you instant results.  You can go a long way just moving a single slider, not knowing WTF you are really doing.  It's like magic. 
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Faastwalker

21 Jan 2015

Thanks for advice. Going to get it finally ;)

Theo, I've already trialled Onyx as well. But I didn't really get to give it a proper test run before the 30 days flew past (as is so often the case). 30 days sounds like plenty of time for a trial. It isn't because something called 'life' tends to get in the way a little!! :frown:

ProfessaKaos

21 Jan 2015

Shed69 wrote:Completely agree with dreampolice, easily the best - simple to use, always produces fantastic results. I honestly can't think of a single moment I've ever regretted pushing the buy button for that one, I'd be lost without it. I trialled it alongside Titan... which was nice enough but somehow lacking in comparison, just didn't sound as polished as Ozone to me.
Theo.M wrote:
titan distorts a lot more in my tests, BUT... i have read some swear by it.. YMMV..

I'm with you though, Ozone over Titan for mastering limiter *for sure*.

I Agree Titan does seem to distort quite quickly compared to the Ozone and Onyx, can be useful in a mix because of its no latency and if you like its sound of distortion.
I would say go for the Ozone before the Onyx because I find the Ozone Maximizer to be more transparent sounding, I like them both but more so the Ozone.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

joeyluck

21 Jan 2015

I still use MClass.

Have had my eye on Ozone, but I became less interested after emailing iZotope about plans to develop other REs... The person I spoke to had no idea they already had a RE in the shop! Lol. So their response of having no plans to develop RE was much more resounding with that response.

Not to say it isn't a great RE and that anybody needs to steer clear for that reason. That's just my personal reason for losing interest...

joeyluck

21 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:No Joey, it's still more powerful than the MClass one, just try it & see! :)
I tried it when it first came out...  Admittedly I didn't try it it thoroughly as that was during the "OMG Rack Extensions!  Try them all!" period for me lol.  And I was on vacation for two weeks during that time.   

EpiGenetik

21 Jan 2015

Don't know of a better maximizer anywhere in musictechdom, and so easy to use! I've used the Waves stuff too in my time.

Would love to see more of Izotope's stuff ported over, specifically the rest of the Ozone suite, however it is less needed than the Maximizer was.

A crucial buy for any Reason user.

EpiGenetik

21 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote: I tried it when it first came out...  Admittedly I didn't try it it thoroughly as that was during the "OMG Rack Extensions!  Try them all!" period for me lol.  And I was on vacation for two weeks during that time.   
Yeah this bugs me about the shop just now. I reckon the trials should reset every once in a while.

motuscott

22 Jan 2015

Lowlifebware wrote: Yeah this bugs me about the shop just now. I reckon the trials should reset every once in a while.
I think a 30 day restriction free trial is plenty generous.
Did I click trial w/o thinking about whether I had the time to do it properly?
Several times.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Spryx

22 Jan 2015

I love oZone.... but it has crashed Reason a few times... I hope iZotope plans on actually updating it.

latest:

Theo.M

22 Jan 2015

Spryx wrote:I love oZone.... but it has crashed Reason a few times... I hope iZotope plans on actually updating it.
That's unfortunate. Have used it ALOT here with no issues.. I have even had "test" projects cause i put all re's "through the ringer" and make sure they are rock solid before purchasing, where i had like 30 ozones going all at different latencies and being measured in VMG etc, no issues.

May i ask your system specs? This is honestly the first time I read about an ozone RE crash ever.

Dabbler

23 Jan 2015

Anyone using Ozone 6 stand alone?

lowpryo

23 Jan 2015

Lowlifebware wrote: Yeah this bugs me about the shop just now. I reckon the trials should reset every once in a while.
motuscott wrote: I think a 30 day restriction free trial is plenty generous.
Did I click trial w/o thinking about whether I had the time to do it properly?
Several times.

30 days is SO long! i don't think it's ever taken me more than 1 day with a rack extension to know whether i was going to buy it or never touch it again.
Last edited by lowpryo on 19 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

doctecazoid

23 Jan 2015

All the limiters in Reason (native and RE) have their relative strengths and weaknesses.  Speaking from personal experience: I like the warmth imparted by the tube limiter setting in the Onyx RE.  When used judiciously, it does some kind of magic to the signal that my ears really like.

EnochLight

24 Jan 2015

Spryx wrote:I love oZone.... but it has crashed Reason a few times... I hope iZotope plans on actually updating it.

Wow - it crashed Reason??!  Have you reported this to Propellerhead as a bug?  I've had an RE or two crash inside of Reason, but it never brought Reason itself down. :frown:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Bonkhead

24 Jan 2015

I bought ozone limiter when it came out, and used it often.
But in the end I like onyx more, less harsh, easier interface imho, cheaper (if you don't already own the ozone).
The biggest plus of onyx is that if you know what settings do what, it will always stay clean, no matter how hard you cranck it up. The ozone always gets in some distorted area with the mode I used most. If you want to get as loud as that with onyx just use the tube settings for that little extra loudness. I wish onyx came out before ozone, but it had its use the first year. Onyx sounds a bit better on the bass freqs aswell imho, something to do with less squaring off bass sinewaves afaik.

Faastwalker

24 Jan 2015

Thanks for all the replies. Some interesting views on both Ozone & Onyx. I just realised as well that Onyx is only $35! I had thought it was the same price as Ozone. That makes it a very interesting proposition as well as Ozone. I did try Onyx when it first appeared but only for a short time. Then before I knew it the 30 days was up! Wish I could give it another TRY. But will definitely consider it now as well as Ozone.

pedrocaetanos

26 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:
EnochLight wrote:  
Wow - it crashed
EnochLight wrote:Reason
EnochLight wrote:??!  Have you reported this to Propellerhead as a bug?  I've had an RE or two crash
EnochLight wrote:inside
EnochLight wrote: of Reason, but it never brought Reason itself down. :frown:
Same thing with me, only RE crashes, and most of those crashes was because system memory was exhausted. Reason kept rock solid, after freeing some memory things were back to normal.

Spryx, why don't you try deleting the Re and downloading it again? maybe you have a case of corrupted binaries (I have no idea if the RE platform has any kind of error detection, CRC, whatever...)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Spryx

28 Jan 2015

I just forgot I had replied on this topic... sorry guys.. I worded that poorly. It has crashed reason, but only once. The few other times it did crash was just a RE crash.

It is not something that occurs all the time...and it really does make your mix stand out.
Either way....it needs an update.

latest:

• Information