I can haz gate?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tibah

19 Jan 2015

So, I need a gate, occasionally...

This is also why I don't really have an idea what to look for when trialing one. I need it for vocal cleaning and guitar sometimes. Maybe it can be nice for additional processing, separating signals from a loop, processing them differently, etc.

There is Dragon Gate and G8. I did check the PUF for this. Not much to say. We have Theo raving about G8 (sorry! ;) ) and little to nothing for Dragon Gate, beside Bonkhead quite liking it. Is it really that bad? I would rather get that for the price point instead of getting a "better" one, that will not get used about 95% of the time. 

Input appreciated. :)

kloeckno

19 Jan 2015

If you don't need to use it very often, then you might be able to get away with the SSL's built in gate. But I have G8 and it is very good. It has a hysteresis function that stops the gate from rapidly triggering when the signal is lingering very close to the threshold, which is quite useful.

Olivier

19 Jan 2015

I have G8, i like it.
But lately i've been using the Valley People Dyna-Mite as a gate and prefer it over the G8.
Especially when working with guitar and loads of gain, i like the way the Dyna-Mite operates. The way the gate closes is much smoother on the Dyna-Mite then what i'm able to achieve on the G8. But that may entirely be my lack of skills :P

[edit] and then i read this...
kloeckno wrote:If you don't need to use it very often, then you might be able to get away with the SSL's built in gate. But I have G8 and it is very good. It has a hysteresis function that stops the gate from rapidly triggering when the signal is lingering very close to the threshold, which is quite useful.
Ok... that is exactly what i was missing :P Much smoother with hysterisis... still likeing the Dyna-mite though... Its easier to dial in.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

I hope this discussion gets a lot of comments. I use the gate on the mixing desk a lot but for a few current projects, it's just not working out for me. There is a significant amount of 'bleed through' between from on audio source to the other, and I have been manually slicing them out, which is time consuming and frustrating - so I'm also looking for alternatives.

My Words are my ART

tibah

19 Jan 2015

kloeckno wrote:If you don't need to use it very often, then you might be able to get away with the SSL's built in gate. But I have G8 and it is very good. It has a hysteresis function that stops the gate from rapidly triggering when the signal is lingering very close to the threshold, which is quite useful.
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, my "SSL" has no dynamics section, which means also no gate. I'm running Essentials 2.1.1. That's why I asked about the 2 REs in the shop.

The Softube is tempting but also too pricey for me in general. G8 seems to be preferred by most users, while the Dragon Gate at only 12€ fits the budget nicely. ;)

Fretless Fingers

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I hope this discussion gets a lot of comments. I use the gate on the mixing desk a lot but for a few current projects, it's just not working out for me. There is a significant amount of 'bleed through' between from on audio source to the other, and I have been manually slicing them out, which is time consuming and frustrating - so I'm also looking for alternatives.
You may want to look into seligs leveler RE. With the right settings it applies like a gate compressing anything below the set threshold while leaving all the top volume alone. I use it allot for vocals as it removes all those unwanted sounds in a bad room
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

djfm1983

19 Jan 2015

For me there's no substitute for manual editing. I do agree it's time consuming but it is well worth it in the end. As far as live sound mixing goes I don't like to mix workout it. It can take me a moment to get the settings right though.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

rcbuse
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

If you are looking to do things on the cheap with Essentials, you could create a poor mans gate using a combinator, MClass Compressor, and Line Mixer.

I've attached a combinator, but in a nutshell you use the gain reduction CV output of the compressor to modulate the output of the line mixer such that when the compressor is squashing down the signal, you do the opposite on the mixer and open it up creating a gate with threshold, attack, and release.  The audio output of the compressor isn't hooked to anything.

Attachments
PoorMansGate.cmb.zip
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

Cleaned up the combinator, now has dials labeled for easy use.

Attachments
PoorMansGate2.cmb.zip
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

tibah

20 Jan 2015

Thanks! Will give it a spin later tonight. :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2015

rcbuse wrote:Cleaned up the combinator, now has dials labeled for easy use.

Poor man's gate loool

virtualpt

14 Mar 2015

I have both G8 & Dragon Gate & I like them both. I like the filter section on Dragon Gate too :)

Bonkhead

14 Mar 2015

I tested dragon gate and really liked it, especillay due to the filter section.

Shokstar

14 Mar 2015

Bonkhead wrote:I tested dragon gate and really liked it, especillay due to the filter section.
yes the BP-filter is gold worrth :)

• Information