3D gfx for RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

hi devs!
I've been doing gfx for a living for several years.
I am willing to collaborate (for free too) with any RE dev that is short in this kind of art.
Just PM me with your need and we'll talk about it, so I can set my schedulle acordingly.
Cheers
PD I am not looking for a job here but I am opened to it too.

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

I've just been informed...someone else told me that before but didn' remember it, that I'm gonna have to learn some re sdk stuff before being able to help.
I'll put my effort on that, and be bac soon for helping...
Cheers

normen

18 Jan 2015

You don't have to, really. If you can make 3D models, normal- and diffuse maps and export them to Collada files (yes, its an ugly format) you'll already be able to massively help people creating REs.

Babul

18 Jan 2015

there are some caveats/pits you have to avoid - if i remember correctly, the "vertexes should be normalized" or something, and there is a suggested collada-export script version (afaik 3.x.x instead 4.x.x ?) for 3DStudio.

also, you only need to provide a high-LOD model, there are no smaller-scaled models required anymore, so your "prototype" design should look excellent already, and youre done - the textures/materials/colors can be adjusted by the developer, so expect feedback for further changes on the models, esp. details.

btw, having that sort of skill and patience for creating new models is something i admire, so see that as motivation :)

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

normen wrote:You don't have to, really. If you can make 3D models, normal- and diffuse maps and export them to Collada files (yes, its an ugly format) you'll already be able to massively help people creating REs.
Babul wrote:there are some caveats/pits you have to avoid - if i remember correctly, the "vertexes should be normalized" or something, and there is a suggested collada-export script version (afaik 3.x.x instead 4.x.x ?) for 3DStudio.

also, you only need to provide a high-LOD model, there are no smaller-scaled models required anymore, so your "prototype" design should look excellent already, and youre done - the textures/materials/colors can be adjusted by the developer, so expect feedback for further changes on the models, esp. details.

btw, having that sort of skill and patience for creating new models is something i admire, so see that as motivation :)
Those things I can do.
I am a 3d studio user since 96. Thanx for the heads up.
Anyway I enrolled myself as a dev and gonna read up all the docs when the email arrives.
Thanx

Lizard

18 Jan 2015

tt_lab wrote:Those things I can do. I am a 3d studio user since 96. Thanx for the heads up. Anyway I enrolled myself as a dev and gonna read up all the docs when the email arrives. Thanx
Yes.  This is a good idea.  Even though in general terms a developer can speak about how the GUI comes together there is a risk of "saying too much" by NDA guidelines.  But there is a developers forum over there which is not going away as I hear so you can definitely get in touch with developers there as well.  Your skills could certainly come in use to many.  :)

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

tt_lab wrote:Those things I can do. I am a 3d studio user since 96. Thanx for the heads up. Anyway I enrolled myself as a dev and gonna read up all the docs when the email arrives. Thanx
Lizard wrote:
Yes.  This is a good idea.  Even though in general terms a developer can speak about how the GUI comes together there is a risk of "saying too much" by NDA guidelines.  But there is a developers forum over there which is not going away as I hear so you can definitely get in touch with developers there as well.  Your skills could certainly come in use to many.  :)
You gave me the idea with your modwheel...as you said you have little skils for 3d modelling so thank you too... ;)

Lizard

18 Jan 2015

tt_lab wrote:
You gave me the idea with your modwheel...as you said you have little skils for 3d modelling so thank you too... ;)

Hey yeah!  That's great!  I think just to create some simple decorative type things would be great.  Rack handles and raised panels and stuff like that.  Of course different knob styles, switches levers and so on would be all welcome too.  I have a bunch of the more affordable 3D programs and can do simple stuff but getting it into the required format and scaling it as such... I'll leave it to the pros.  ;)

BTW.... I'd LOVE a 3P Modwheel.  Just sayin'

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

I'll see what I can do when I arrive home on tuesday...maybe I can make the chrome knob and those click buttons too to look more like the 3p if you want...

Lizard

18 Jan 2015

tt_lab wrote:I'll see what I can do when I arrive home on tuesday...maybe I can make the chrome knob and those click buttons too to look more like the 3p if you want...
I would be grateful for whatever is possible.  Let me know what you come up with.  :s0221:

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2015

I would just say to all 3d designers sign up so that you can get the tools to test your models, especially if you're using something like Blender :)

Well in any case, good luck on your endeavours.

Lizard

18 Jan 2015

tt_lab wrote:I've just been informed...someone else told me that before but didn' remember it, that I'm gonna have to learn some re sdk stuff before being able to help. I'll put my effort on that, and be bac soon for helping... Cheers
Nicola wrote:
As Normen said you don't have to BUT IF you want to explore the RE sdk you need to be a freelancer or company.
And to be real specific Nicola all you have to do is "create" a company.  This is in name only to start.  If you want to actually sell a product well then you have to have tax ID and all that other stuff associated with selling stuff within your local laws.  But it is not mandatory just to get started.  Comapny name, developer name contact info.  That's about it.  Someone like tt_lab can easily promote his talents within that community without ever having to sell a thing.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2015

Lizard wrote:
And to be real specific Nicola all you have to do is "create" a company.  This is in name only to start.  If you want to actually sell a product well then you have to have tax ID and all that other stuff associated with selling stuff within your local laws.  But it is not mandatory just to get started.  Comapny name, developer name contact info.  That's about it.  Someone like tt_lab can easily promote his talents within that community without ever having to sell a thing.
Exactly, I was signed up as a developer long before I had a registered company.

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

I already am a freelancer and have a tax ID.
I'll be asking for VAT Id ...although I have no interest in making my own REs since programming is not among my skills.
As said before I've already signed in this afternoon. Just waiting for PH to activat my acount.
At first I thought it would be more like..."Make me a model and textures of this or that part(ej modwheel)". But if being enrolled can get me a better contact with devs and knowing the ins and outs of the sdk docs can make me more valuable for helping then, I don't have any objections to study those.

Faastwalker

21 Jan 2015

Lizard wrote:And to be real specific Nicola all you have to do is "create" a company.  This is in name only to start.  If you want to actually sell a product well then you have to have tax ID and all that other stuff associated with selling stuff within your local laws.  But it is not mandatory just to get started.  Comapny name, developer name contact info.  That's about it.  Someone like tt_lab can easily promote his talents within that community without ever having to sell a thing.
Funny I never thought of it like this but it makes sense. I went the whole hog, set up up a business, paid for registration, got an Australian business number! Didn't even occur to me that I could just register a name with Propellerhead and do the rest if I had something ready for the shop!

FATCheese

24 Jan 2015

The big question is: What if you only make RE that are free? Can you get away with only registering a name?
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

• Information