RE News: Lizard revealed he's working on Rack Extensions!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrochoc (PRX-A)

16 Jan 2015

I thought a good way to really feel the transition between the Propellerhead User Forum and ReasonTalk could be to bring some news published over there and bring them right here! And the biggest to me is the announcement made by Lizard that he has started working on Rack Extensions using the Instrument Development Toolkit technology.

Sure, those Rack Extensions are still at a relatively early stage of development, and won't be available anytime soon, but, still, Lizard published some screenshots of two REs he's working on to give us some idea of what we can expect from him! The first one, Three-P, is a "sampled synth" made of samples coming from the classic Roland JP-3X synth, a concept he already used for one of his first ReFills (Three-P samples won't be taken from that ReFill though, and will be totally redone).
The second one is a human beatbox, currently made of 120 samples consisting of noises made with different human body parts! The GUI is not finished, but here's a screenshot published by Lizard, as well as some sound demos for this particular Rack Extension.
Sounds: Modern Kit, Fat Kit, Dirty Works and Fresh Dig.

On a more personal note, I must say I was very happy to hear those news from Lizard, since he has been one of my favorite free ReFills developer (Clank! is still an essential ReFill given the kind of stuff I'm doing!)! I'll label his human beatbox as one argument, to me, in favor of upgrading Reason from 6.5 to 7 or 8 when it's released! :D
Attachments
Beatbox_800.png
Beatbox_800.png (657.38 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

eusti

16 Jan 2015

Thanks for getting this going, electrochoc! I'm glad some of the traditions are going to be carried over!
Always enjoyed your efforts!

D.

CharlyCharlzz

16 Jan 2015

Good idear , maybe we should invite the dev here and do a thread interview by users like riddit :)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

eusti

16 Jan 2015

@CharlyCharlzz: I think Lizard is already on board here... We could always ask... Not sure if he's ready to share more yet...

D.

Lizard

17 Jan 2015

Oh.. hey guys!  This is refreshing!  I didn't expect a post about my stuff.  But that's great!  I'm an open book... as much as I can be anyway.  But for one thing to be clear I'm not a real programmer by any means.  :) I like making sounds mostly.  Tweaking or sampling.  I dig em all.  But the Re technology has interested me a lot and the introduction of the IDT technology make regular guys like me able to put something in the rack.  It will take some learning for sure but I am optimistic.  The more I can learn the more I can make more intricate stuff.    I have lots of ideas and a long road ahead.  Thanks for your interest and wish me luck!

eusti

17 Jan 2015

@Lizard: Just before the bell I managed to get most of your drum kit selection work! Thank you for your efforts!

D.

Lizard

17 Jan 2015

@eusti :  Hey no worries bud.  I still have a few to work out how to convert with easy enough instructions to make it worth it for others.  I'm also going to try to get a more "article" kind of thing going on CombinatorHQ if I can. I need to show that place some love soon.  :D   But I may also transition all the drum thread stuff here too in the refills section for future users if it allows.  Thanks for noticing!

X1Lo

17 Jan 2015

The beatbox sounds like a really cool idea.  Unique devices like that are what excite me the most about rack extensions!
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

Sympleman

17 Jan 2015

Thanks for posting electrochoc.

Very inspiring lizard! Looks great! I will start looking at the script side again and as always you know I'm more than willing to help.

Btw very nice forum. Some big hitters here.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

17 Jan 2015

Sympleman wrote:Thanks for posting electrochoc.
eusti wrote:Thanks for getting this going, electrochoc! I'm glad some of the traditions are going to be carried over!
Always enjoyed your efforts!
Nicola wrote:
YUP & i would have missed that "Budgie"guy. ;)
My pleasure! It would have been hard to me though not to be genuinely excited by Lizard's announcement, especially in the case of the human beatbox! I already have some human beatbox patches from the "Vocal Expressions" ReFill, which are great, but I can only be greater to see some more options coming! :D

Lizard

18 Jan 2015

Nicola wrote:Ahhh, and i'm looking forward for the Three-P. Everything from Roland is ALLLL-RIGHTY to me. *tee hee*
Yes!  Me too Nicola!  I am surrounded by Roland gear that I have never been able to part with.  My JX-3P, 106 and SH-101 are always in my home studio.  Granted they get very little play time as everything is software these day.  But you don't throw away the Mona Lisa because it's not painted by a modern artist.
electrochoc wrote:It would have been hard to me though not to be genuinely excited by Lizard's announcement, especially in the case of the human beatbox! I already have some human beatbox patches from the "Vocal Expressions" ReFill, which are great, but I can only be greater to see some more options coming! [biggrin]

I've had it done in Refill format for quite some time actually.  Was going to make it my first commercial release but when the talk of IDT became available and something I might actually be able to do I held back.

A better description of the Beatbox device is that I want it to have 10 channels.  Each channel I hope to allow the user to choose from any of the approximately 120 multi-samples in there and should be able to adjust volume, pan, EQ, attack and decay and a few different effect routing such as Lo-Fi, distortion, chours, delay and reverb.  Each of these instruments I hope to be able to assign to a root note of your choice as well as be triggered externally by a device such as Kong or Redrum.

When coming up with the concept of beatbox I wanted to add variety and not just be a general beatbox.  I am trying to draft off of the artists that I was more familiar with.  It is more of a vintage art than is used today but hasn't truly gone away so more sounds may be circa 1985 like ones inspired by Doug E Fresh, Ready Rock C and the Fat Boys.  However I took a little more care to include  things more similar to Dub FX style.  Nothing is quite the same as a true performer but I hope this can achieve some level of believability.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

18 Jan 2015

Lizard wrote:A better description of the Beatbox device is that I want it to have 10 channels.  Each channel I hope to allow the user to choose from any of the approximately 120 multi-samples in there and should be able to adjust volume, pan, EQ, attack and decay and a few different effect routing such as Lo-Fi, distortion, chours, delay and reverb.  Each of these instruments I hope to be able to assign to a root note of your choice as well as be triggered externally by a device such as Kong or Redrum.
That sounds very interesting, and very handy also! If you add individual audio outs for each channel, this will bear all the features, and even more, that I could expect for such a device! :)
Lizard wrote:When coming up with the concept of beatbox I wanted to add variety and not just be a general beatbox.  I am trying to draft off of the artists that I was more familiar with.  It is more of a vintage art than is used today but hasn't truly gone away so more sounds may be circa 1985 like ones inspired by Doug E Fresh, Ready Rock C and the Fat Boys.  However I took a little more care to include  things more similar to Dub FX style.  Nothing is quite the same as a true performer but I hope this can achieve some level of believability.
Oh! I was not familiar with those artists... And I must say I was not that much concerned about believability, as I like to have sets of natural sounds (accoustic, concrete sounds like human voices and sounds, accoustic instruments and realistic sound effects) and twist them in unnatural ways! But that's just me! Let's just say that if I get your beatbox in the future, I might use it in non-traditional ways, like the way I used Radical Piano (and only Radical Piano) in this demo when it's been released over two years ago:

https://soundcloud.com/prx-a/fun-with-r ... sions-no-3
:D

• Information