Proton Granular Synth!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
hamzter
RE Developer

27 Jan 2017

Hi,
Marc64 wrote:Is it possible to make so the granual movements on the sample display moves more smoothly? or is it my computer.
What you are describing is probably a bug in Proton: the waveform display update rate is capped at 25 fps. I'll make sure that is fixed in the next update.

Best regards,
Gustav

Loque

27 Jan 2017

Benedict wrote:
Loque wrote:So, Benedict, your help was not realy helpful.
So with that attitude, I will probably not even try to help next time.

Geez what the hell is wrong with people.

:(
I thought the same (RTFM)...
Reason12, Win10

dioxide

27 Jan 2017

Benedict wrote:
Loque wrote:So, Benedict, your help was not realy helpful.
So with that attitude, I will probably not even try to help next time.

Geez what the hell is wrong with people.

I can't comment on the individual in question, but generally: welcome to the Internet in 2017.

I used to help people out a lot over at the old PUF forum but I stopped when the people who were asking questions changed in their attitude. It was almost as if they thought that the internet was some kind of AI system that spewed out answers when asked, rather than being made up of real people who are taking time to think about someone else's problem and type out a solution. At one point people had gotten so lazy that they couldn't be bothered to Google something and search for information on the subject despite being sat in front of an interface to the largest repository of information in the history of humanity.

In short, people are entitled and lazy. In some ways I am surprised you even got an answer! PS: Get off my lawn!! :lol:
Last edited by dioxide on 27 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

27 Jan 2017

Web Find: RTFM and etiquette Benedict. You might not have been aware:
"The RTFM comment is usually expressed when the speaker is irritated by another person's question or lack of knowledge."

I have used the comment a couple times here, but It was "Obviously" a joke, as there were only LOLs after.
I WINCED when I read what you wrote.

Easy Benedict... you clapped (RTFM)... and got clapped back. now.... Back to the Synth.

For every little action... there's a reaction.
Benedict wrote:Geez what the hell is wrong with people.

dioxide

27 Jan 2017

RTM is good advice sometimes. It's lazy to expect complete strangers to type out instructions when someone has already typed it out and you already have a copy.

O1B

27 Jan 2017

Yes, RTM is Good advice. But that's NOt what he said, is it?
RTFM, dioxide.
How slow will this resolution go if we misquote what was said, dioxide?

Enough of this though. It wasn't Loque who whined about it. He just responded - in Kind.
"Can't take the heat, then Watch your Mouth is the best advice".

If someone got mad at me for a RTFffM comment, I'd understand.... Not that hard...

Karim
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2017

Southgate wrote:
Peter wrote:
Southgate wrote:Thanks and kindest regards
Too hot!! I don't know why the brown color scheme to begin with. :think: Cool colors like blues and greens will ALWAYS be more attractive.

Here then... :D

I was really concerned with the space though! Don't expect a blue version though! :P
The green is A W E S O M E . it reminds the old 8086 - 8088 days...

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

dioxide

27 Jan 2017

O1B wrote:Yes, RTM is Good advice. But that's NOt what he said, is it?
RTFM, dioxide.
How slow will this resolution go if we misquote what was said, dioxide?

Enough of this though. It wasn't Loque who whined about it. He just responded - in Kind.
"Can't take the heat, then Watch your Mouth is the best advice".

If someone got mad at me for a RTFffM comment, I'd understand.... Not that hard...
What I saw was that the F was in brackets, which I read as a jokey reference to RTFM when he was actually saying RTM. This is the problem with text based communication unfortunately, it's a poor form of communication for the more subtle things and leaves too much open to interpretation. We can all argue facts effectively on the internet but anything that involves subtlety seems to result in everyone taking offence.

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2017

How about everyone just assumes that everyone else is saying whatever they're saying in the best possible way unless there's a good reason to believe otherwise? ;)

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2017

Dioxide you are right and the first to realize I was in fact (and fact is what matters) being misquoted and so misconstrued. The (f) was to complete the RTM as I was not sure that it would be understood without the "F" part. There was no offence intended or even construed. The manual will explain how an NN-XT Patch needs to point to a file on disc so it can call it up in future. I thought it most helpful to point to that info, as it is how the whole patch system works.

And yes Mr Spanner this would help a lot.

As for daring to help, well after being abused twice in a week by the very people I gave help requested, and these being far from the first in this place...

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

dioxide

27 Jan 2017

Well hopefully no-one's feelings were too badly hurt and we can all carry on as normal. Text communication is a double edged sword but it's good for detailed replies.
Benedict wrote:Dioxide you are right
Ahh, music to my ears ;)

Creativemind

27 Jan 2017

selig wrote:
aRiver wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:In Proton, is everything automatable with a right click like with most Reason devices? I'm asking because with Vibro you couldn't do that with most controls if I remember correctly.
Just came in to ask the same question, as it seems you can't automate anything at the moment.

You can automate everything in both Vibro and Proton, and access them all from a Combinator as well. But you cannot right-click to access the automation. You must access the controls from the sequencer since these devices use custom displays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry if this has already been asked as I haven't read all the pages of this thread yet, but will right click automation be something available in the future?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

teddymcw

27 Jan 2017

dioxide wrote: It was almost as if they thought that the internet was some kind of AI system that spewed out answers when asked, rather than being made up of real people who are taking time to think about someone else's problem and type out a solution.
What, you all are realll people? I thought you all were just a collection of 'rack extensions' in this forum. Gonna have to rethink some things now and maybe make an industrial batch of amends.

Sorry couldn't resist. Agree with that statement about the web in general, however IME this forum is incredibly corgile and helpful, rarely not an awesome place.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2017

Now the question is, is it worth paying 184 euros for Proton and the Expanse update? That will be the price if I upgrade Reason and buy Proton. I already own the earlier version of Expanse.
I'm still on Reason 7 because I haven't really felt the need for the things included in the recent Reason upgrades. But with v 9.2 it might be worth it.
I've actually avoided an upgrade because I don't want that browser taking up space on the screen. I know you can close it but it's gonna pop up everytime I want to load a patch, right?

I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade sooner or later but right now I'm busy playing with all my rack extensions I've gathered so far. Still got so much to learn and try with the stuff I already own. Do I really need more stuff?

Also maybe it's better to wait a little longer so that some potential technical issues can be figured out with the new SDK.

I just hope that developers will make it clear what Reason version is required for a particular rack extension or update.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 27 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

27 Jan 2017

selig wrote:
Southgate wrote:
Peter wrote:
Southgate wrote:Thanks and kindest regards
Too hot!! I don't know why the brown color scheme to begin with. :think: Cool colors like blues and greens will ALWAYS be more attractive.

Here then... :D

I was really concerned with the space though! Don't expect a blue version though! :P
If it was up to me, and possible to do so, I'd add a knob that dials through all possible colors so you can choose your own… ;)

Yeah that would be the ideal solution. Some of the colours though in the colour pallet are horrid...lemon for instance.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

dvdrtldg

27 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote: I've actually avoided an upgrade because I don't want that browser taking up space on the screen. I know you can close it but it's gonna pop up everytime I want to load a patch, right?
This has always irritated me, I wish there was some way to make it so that the browser was hidden by default. Although then there'd probably be issues with it disappearing when you wanted it to be displayed. But I do get sick of making it go away all the time

Heater

27 Jan 2017

It's synths like this that will ultimately force me to upgrade from Reason 7.

WongoTheSane

27 Jan 2017

hamzter wrote:Hi,
Loque wrote:But, the sample is not within the patch. Weird stuff... So, Benedict, your help was not realy helpful.
The SDK is designed in such a way that Rack Extension patches can only refer to samples. There is currently no way to store the actual sample data inside the patch.

Best regards,
Gustav
Actually, that's how *all* patches work, including natives (NNXT, Kong, Redrum, etc). Samples are always separate files on disk, and when moved or deleted, a dialog offers to locate them. Samples are never saved with the patches in Reason. This isn't a limitation, it allows re-use of the samples.

hamzter
RE Developer

28 Jan 2017

Hi,
Creativemind wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked as I haven't read all the pages of this thread yet, but will right click automation be something available in the future?
It would require an update to the API for custom displays in the Rack Extension SDK. I don't know what Propellerhead is planning for the SDK, but as a developer who uses custom displays a lot I would love to see them extend the functionality of that widget even more.

Best regards,
Gustav

chimp_spanner

28 Jan 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
Loque wrote:But, the sample is not within the patch. Weird stuff... So, Benedict, your help was not realy helpful.
The SDK is designed in such a way that Rack Extension patches can only refer to samples. There is currently no way to store the actual sample data inside the patch.

Best regards,
Gustav
Actually, that's how *all* patches work, including natives (NNXT, Kong, Redrum, etc). Samples are always separate files on disk, and when moved or deleted, a dialog offers to locate them. Samples are never saved with the patches in Reason. This isn't a limitation, it allows re-use of the samples.
So if you were releasing proton patches you could just use the refill maker and everything would work fine?

WongoTheSane

28 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:

Best regards,
Gustav
So if you were releasing proton patches you could just use the refill maker and everything would work fine?
Yes, exactly like NNXT refills for instance.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jan 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote: I've actually avoided an upgrade because I don't want that browser taking up space on the screen. I know you can close it but it's gonna pop up everytime I want to load a patch, right?
This has always irritated me, I wish there was some way to make it so that the browser was hidden by default. Although then there'd probably be issues with it disappearing when you wanted it to be displayed. But I do get sick of making it go away all the time
I hide the browser by default with my startup template. I'm not sure how one would browse without some sort of browser window popping up and taking up space. It's always been that way, either with a floating window or a sidebar.

Are there examples of other apps that work the way you'd both prefer?

Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2017

selig wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:
I hide the browser by default with my startup template. I'm not sure how one would browse without some sort of browser window popping up and taking up space. It's always been that way, either with a floating window or a sidebar.

Well, I kind of wish the browser could be optional in later Reason versions.
I don't know how other DAWs/apps work in this regard. The issue is not that the window/browser pops up when chosing a patch, it's that it stays there after the patch is chosen. In Reason 7 (which I'm still on) the menu disappears as soon as you've chosen your patch. Or you can scroll through the presets on the synth itself by clicking the "select next patch" arrow without having any window popping up.

With my workflow I contantly switch between the different windows (F5, F6, F7) because I prefer to work in one full screen window at the time. The browser just makes the screen more cluttered, making the rest of the screen smaller.
I've tried Reason 8 at my brothers place so I already know that I find the browser a little annoying, especially when working in the sequencer window.

I guess I'm missing out on the drag an drop feature, but I rather have it clean with less clutter/stuff on the screen.
The browser is not the end of the world though and when I do decide to upgrade I know I'm just gonna have to deal with it.

It's funny, I've watched other people using Reason and depending on their workflow I've sometimes found myself getting annoyed by the way they use the program, for example not minimizing stuff in the rack, turning the rackview into a big scrollfest :)

selig
RE Developer

28 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
selig wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:

Well, I kind of wish the browser could be optional in later Reason versions.
I don't know how other DAWs/apps work in this regard. The issue is not that the window/browser pops up when chosing a patch, it's that it stays there after the patch is chosen. In Reason 7 (which I'm still on) the menu disappears as soon as you've chosen your patch. Or you can scroll through the presets on the synth itself by clicking the "select next patch" arrow without having any window popping up.

With my workflow I contantly switch between the different windows (F5, F6, F7) because I prefer to work in one full screen window at the time. The browser just makes the screen more cluttered, making the rest of the screen smaller.
I've tried Reason 8 at my brothers place so I already know that I find the browser a little annoying, especially when working in the sequencer window.

I guess I'm missing out on the drag an drop feature, but I rather have it clean with less clutter/stuff on the screen.
The browser is not the end of the world though and when I do decide to upgrade I know I'm just gonna have to deal with it.

It's funny, I've watched other people using Reason and depending on their workflow I've sometimes found myself getting annoyed by the way they use the program, for example not minimizing stuff in the rack, turning the rackview into a big scrollfest :)
Good suggestion to have the browser close after making a final patch selection, though not sure how to 'tell' the browser you're done browsing.

In earlier version you DO close the browser when you click "OK" - until you do that it stays open, right (hoping I remember correctly). So it takes a single click to close it in earlier versions, and takes a single click to close it now too! I'm in the habit of using F3 to open/close the browser, and I don't believe it's taking me any more total clicks than before, but I could be mis-remembering how things used to work!

Selig Audio, LLC

KirkMarkarian

28 Jan 2017

Man, this synth works great even as it's own wavetable synth! I trimmed a single cycle sine in Audacity, then manipulated it's points in the zoom view. Nice!

• Information