Blamsoft and eXode present: eXpanse - Hyperwave Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Nirude

07 Feb 2017

I'm back.....

Well actually I haven't been anywhere.
Just too busy with many things :|
3d man.

scratchnsnifff

08 Feb 2017

eXode wrote:
Shokstar wrote:I guess there is a bug in Expanse.

I created a wavetable of one of my growl basses and the first works it well with Expanse via drag and drop. But on a second try with the same sample was the sample shown as a flat line and it wasn't audible anymore. The same result after deleting the device and using a new one.
It's not too clear what you have done or what you're trying to achieve. Could you elaborate a little on how to reproduce the error, perhaps provide the file in question? :)
I made a bass using predator and tried it times 4 across all of expanses oscillators, had the same flatline issue It only appears to happen when you try loading the same sample over and over, I did this a few times and it's hard to recreate as for myself it randomly happened but I can second the flatline error or what ever you want to call it I found that you pretty much have to quit out of reason to have it work, its weird be cause one sample will flatline but then you go and find another sample you weren't planning on using and then it works lol, this is quite the random occurrence il try to recreate the scenario tonight unless the problem has already been addressed :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

08 Feb 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
eXode wrote:
Shokstar wrote:I guess there is a bug in Expanse.

I created a wavetable of one of my growl basses and the first works it well with Expanse via drag and drop. But on a second try with the same sample was the sample shown as a flat line and it wasn't audible anymore. The same result after deleting the device and using a new one.
It's not too clear what you have done or what you're trying to achieve. Could you elaborate a little on how to reproduce the error, perhaps provide the file in question? :)
I made a bass using predator and tried it times 4 across all of expanses oscillators, had the same flatline issue It only appears to happen when you try loading the same sample over and over, I did this a few times and it's hard to recreate as for myself it randomly happened but I can second the flatline error or what ever you want to call it I found that you pretty much have to quit out of reason to have it work, its weird be cause one sample will flatline but then you go and find another sample you weren't planning on using and then it works lol, this is quite the random occurrence il try to recreate the scenario tonight unless the problem has already been addressed :)

If it helps this has happened with me with each type of file iv thrown at expanse. A cymatics wavetable a virtual riot sample pack one shot and even a self made predator RE growl

eXode

08 Feb 2017

Please send a bug report to info@blamsoft.com. Also test if there's a difference between the various morphing modes (does some work or do they all flat line, etc).

scratchnsnifff

08 Feb 2017

eXode wrote:Please send a bug report to info@blamsoft.com. Also test if there's a difference between the various morphing modes (does some work or do they all flat line, etc).
It only happens with one sample if you keep using it, like if you keep repetitively use the same snare as a wavetable I like to use the same sample across 4 oscillators so one can have GN one have saturation and one with bending etc does that make sense?

Marco Raaphorst

08 Feb 2017

I get weird random glitches. Can anyone check? Using one instance of Expanse. Download my example:
expanse-glitches.reason.zip
(166.89 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

WongoTheSane

08 Feb 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I get weird random glitches. Can anyone check? Using one instance of Expanse. Download my example:
expanse-glitches.reason.zip
I get them as well, I think it's the Quantize mode of the Distorsion effect. It's not quantizing exactly the same data with each pass (as 2 of the Oscs have a random start phase), so it's expected that there's a variation (you can check by switching to Decimate: different sound each time, but no glitches); I first thought it was just the consequence of the quantization frequency occasionally clashing with some other modulation, but Bounce in place doesn't produce the glitch!

So I think you're definitely on to something...

Blamsoft
RE Developer

08 Feb 2017

Correct, the quantize distortion effect is turned up high enough so that it mostly does not produce any output at all. Occasionally the incoming signal is loud enough to be quantized above zero. Since the distortion mix is 50% you still hear the signal from the other distortion unit. I'm not sure why there are random fluctuations in volume, that is an interesting question. Bounce in place must send a reset command to the device so the bounce is repeatable. That reset command helps in situations like this.

22ndCenturyStudio

11 Feb 2017

Holy bloody hell...I was impressed with some of the sounds I've perused on YouTube,regarding this synth...but just 20 minutes ago,I downloaded the trial and never in my puff,have I encountered so many inspirational presets!!
This synth reminds me very much of AIR's Loom synth(but Expanse is like having Loom and Alchemy,all rolled into one!)Even better still,with expanse,it's a Loom replacement for me(as I have the VST version of Loom and it's still buggy!) :evil:
I was thinking of buying Behringer's DeepMind keyboard,but once I purchase Expanse...I don't think I'll need it!I rarely go outside of my Reason,to make music and with Exapnse,I think it will be months,before I use my other DAW's!

Well....for the folks at Exode/Blamsoft....absolutely superb work,gentlemen!!
:thumbs_up: :mrgreen:

FGL

16 Feb 2017

My Problems are gone. But I still don't know what happens. It was only with Expanse and now it is gone. The computer was short of the power supply. Because sometimes dust had to be removed at the ventilation ducts. I'm still riddling.
Music:
My Songs on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@FGLucas-wj1eg.
My Songs on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/frank-georg-lucas.

stxlm

16 Feb 2017

Is this the best channel to give praise?

I used my trial period when it came out, I guess. But I wanted to try it with the new features. Two things made me decide it is worth the cost: Looking at the back panel of the RE, and reading the manual. It really is a beautiful, professional manual. I got tears in my eyes browsing it, I'm not kidding.

Much love.

scratchnsnifff

17 Feb 2017

Blamsoft wrote:Correct, the quantize distortion effect is turned up high enough so that it mostly does not produce any output at all. Occasionally the incoming signal is loud enough to be quantized above zero. Since the distortion mix is 50% you still hear the signal from the other distortion unit. I'm not sure why there are random fluctuations in volume, that is an interesting question. Bounce in place must send a reset command to the device so the bounce is repeatable. That reset command helps in situations like this.

Hello blamsoft, was wondering how do the FM and RM modifiers work? Like usually FM is something along the lines of osc3 will be touted to osc 2's FM amount, I suppose I'm asking where does it come from? And will it ever be able to do it between oscillators? Don't get me wrong the way the FM works is fine ATM and I have zero but I just thought it'd be interesting to apply FM from some of the sine wavetables to some of my downloaded wavetables thanks :)

Blamsoft
RE Developer

17 Feb 2017

In the FM mod, there is a magic "ghost" oscillator with a sine wave at the same frequency as the actual oscillator. There is no capability for routing between oscillators, you'll have to use Zero for that.

eXode

18 Feb 2017

There's a actually a trick in Expanse to make it seem like you are changing the ratio of the carrier while keeping the modulating sine at the root frequency. You simply set the mod slot with FM enabled to act Post Harmonics instead of Pre Harmonics. If you then change the partial in the harmonics editor the modulating FM sine will still stay at the root. Experimenting with the MOD post instead of pre can yield different results on some of the other mods as well, but you need to draw at least the 2nd partial in isolation to hear an effect (i.e. not leave it with the default 1st partial).
FM_Ratio.png
FM_Ratio.png (36.54 KiB) Viewed 2376 times

FGL

24 Feb 2017

Bug was confirmed by Blamsoft. It did not cause the problems I had first. But due to the problems that occurred at a time, I have noticed.

There is a problem when you run Expanse with the Matrix. Each note programmed in the matrix is played seperatly. For longer marked notes, one has then very fast Arpeggios. What, coupled with CPU intensive patches, then probably requires more processor power.

But there is, as I have found, a way to get around this. As long as the update is not yet out, one can set expanse, if one Expanse with the matrix operate, into a Combinator.

The error does not appear within a Combinator. But then not rewire directly, use the CV inputs on the Combinator.
Music:
My Songs on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@FGLucas-wj1eg.
My Songs on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/frank-georg-lucas.

scratchnsnifff

24 Feb 2017

Blamsoft wrote:In the FM mod, there is a magic "ghost" oscillator with a sine wave at the same frequency as the actual oscillator. There is no capability for routing between oscillators, you'll have to use Zero for that.
That's fine with me!! I love how zero can do those insane squarified FM sounds and how expanse can make ridiculously movement filled growls happy to finally know how that is happening :) can't wait to see what you guys do next

EnochLight

26 Feb 2017

Hahah - this is pretty cool. I answered Computer Music's poll on Facebook several weeks ago (that asked what 1 synth you would choose if you had to).
They just published my answer in the April 2017 issue 241. Check it out:
CM_desert_island_synth__poll.jpg
CM_desert_island_synth__poll.jpg (444.06 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
:D ;) :) :lol:

The original post:
CM_FB_poll.JPG
CM_FB_poll.JPG (74.1 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

The_G

26 Feb 2017

Expanse has become my favorite RE synth (along with The Legend). Just love it for the kind of music I'm making (touch spacey synthwave).
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

• Information