StringWERK new RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Lov2sing

26 May 2016

Wow this is great. I'm hoping they will create a percussions RE. Strings sound great but are better with percussions. All in all this is on the wish list.
We make music for a reason

esselfortium

26 May 2016

This is awesome. Everything I've been hoping for in a strings library for Reason. (It has legato samples! OMG!) Absolutely can't wait to try it out tonight!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

sdst
Competition Winner

26 May 2016

That sounds really good in the video. :)

C//AZM

26 May 2016

OUCH! this thing is an insta buy. $100 ouch but still, I'm buying this soon. I demoed projectSAM and it didn't seem to be as versitile.It sounds beautiful and I dunno if it was the price to value ratio or versatility or something else but I stuck with using Miroslav string refill but this... This seems made for me.
We shall see.

joeyluck

26 May 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
joeyluck wrote:The articulation switching from a keyboard is a bit awkward on my end because it is playing really low notes. Not sure if this is intended?
That always tends to be the problem with keyswitches - they have to be lower than the lowest note of the instrument!*

Of course, if the instruments were separate, bass, cello, viola, violin, one could adjust the keyswitch as convenient. But if, as it seems from the video, they're all effectively one map, from, say, C0 to C6, (does that mean there's no overlap in instrument ranges?) then yes the keyswitch need to be B-1 and lower and in the words of Roy Scheider, you're gonna need a bigger keyboard.

edit: *yes, or higher than the highest note :p
Whoops. User error! Doh!
Of course I had the Player connected playing octaves :redface:
Good morning, everybody!

There is in fact silence in the range of the switching (which is assignable anyways). My bad.

Ottostrom

26 May 2016

Really wish there was a way to solo the instruments so you could play just the cellos or just the violins. A full string ensemble is a bit much sometimes.
But it sounds fantastic!
Last edited by Ottostrom on 26 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Stranger.

26 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

C//AZM

26 May 2016

Ottostrom wrote:Really wish there was a way to solo the instruments so you could play just the cellos or just the violins. A full string ensemble is a bit much sometimes.
But it sound fantastic!
Aww Naww no solo instruments? Really? Now that you mentioned it, I haven't seen anything in the very concise video about it. Hmmm....

joeyluck

26 May 2016

Ottostrom wrote:Really wish there was a way to solo the instruments so you could play just the cellos or just the violins. A full string ensemble is a bit much sometimes.
But it sound fantastic!
You could always send in the suggestion. I guess it depends on how the strings sections were recorded...

Ottostrom

26 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:
But it sound fantastic!
You could always send in the suggestion. I guess it depends on how the strings sections were recorded...
Yeah i guess. But i think this would already be a feature if the instruments were recoded separately.

QVprod

26 May 2016

Ottostrom wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
But it sound fantastic!
Yeah i guess. But i think this would already be a feature if the instruments were recoded separately.

This is essentially a port of Session Strings Pro, with a better UI. It wasn't built for solo instrument use. Nonetheless its great for what it is.
That said the product page does say this
Capturing the sound of a small premier ensemble, StringWERK consists of 4 violins, 3 violas, 2 cello and 2 basses. It is simple to use, the instrument groups mapped across the full keyboard range, with double bass on the lower keys and violins at the top end.

joeyluck

26 May 2016

QVprod wrote:
Ottostrom wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
But it sound fantastic!

This is essentially a port of Session Strings Pro, with a better UI. It wasn't built for solo instrument use. Nonetheless its great for what it is.
That said the product page does say this
Capturing the sound of a small premier ensemble, StringWERK consists of 4 violins, 3 violas, 2 cello and 2 basses. It is simple to use, the instrument groups mapped across the full keyboard range, with double bass on the lower keys and violins at the top end.
If it is like Session Strings, here is a image of how that is mapped:

decibel

26 May 2016

finally! sounds pretty decent eh ;)

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 May 2016

Wow nice. A synthesizer with such controls would be awesome.

zeebot

26 May 2016

Sounds really nice but I wouldn't use it enough to justify buying it. I'm sure others who are string heads will get tons of use because it is quality.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 May 2016

QVprod wrote: This is essentially a port of Session Strings Pro, with a better UI. It wasn't built for solo instrument use. Nonetheless its great for what it is.
This has got to be Session Strings as Session Strings Pro is 48GB. Nonetheless it's fantastically great for what it is ;)

sonicbyte

26 May 2016

At last a decent string RE for Reason :)

PurpleMonkeyDishes

26 May 2016

It's ok, and nice to see a company that has worked in Kontakt for so long in the rack.. but honestly there is refills that are better & bigger than this.. and less than half the price, I suppose there is people who really want everything to be RE now and kill off refills, so this is right up their street. And that is good for them, but me personally I look at the bigger picture over impulse and convenience. And to have choice for needs, is what is best of all.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

decibel

26 May 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:It's ok, and nice to see a company that has worked in Kontakt for so long in the rack.. but honestly there is refills that are better & bigger than this.. and less than half the price, I suppose there is people who really want everything to be RE now and kill off refills, so this is right up their street. And that is good for them, but me personally I look at the bigger picture over impulse and convenience. And to have choice for needs, is what is best of all.
any recommendations mate ? im still happy to use refills if they do a better job ;)

tibah

26 May 2016

This sounds gorgeous!

esselfortium

26 May 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:It's ok, and nice to see a company that has worked in Kontakt for so long in the rack.. but honestly there is refills that are better & bigger than this.. and less than half the price, I suppose there is people who really want everything to be RE now and kill off refills, so this is right up their street. And that is good for them, but me personally I look at the bigger picture over impulse and convenience. And to have choice for needs, is what is best of all.
What have you seen that competes with this? StringWERK features some long-needed functionality that's presently not possible to achieve in a ReFill. You can't get true legato note transitions, for instance, without scripting that's not doable in NN-XT/Combinator.
Sarah Mancuso

PurpleMonkeyDishes

26 May 2016

decibel wrote:
any recommendations mate ? im still happy to use refills if they do a better job ;)
Nothing that people don't already use I suppose.

Euphonic Strings
A Reason For Strings Chambre
Miroslav

I use them all the time as my main work is scoring, After trialing the RE today I cant hear anything that I don't get with any of these refills. ? And it's much more limited.
But that is just my opinion. Don't eat me :shock:
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

PurpleMonkeyDishes

26 May 2016

esselfortium wrote:
What have you seen that competes with this? StringWERK features some long-needed functionality that's presently not possible to achieve in a ReFill. You can't get true legato note transitions, for instance, without scripting that's not doable in NN-XT/Combinator.

Am I not allowed have an opinion?
You can do anything in reason, to say "You can't do something without scripting etc.." I don't buy into that.

Granted you may need to actually work on your sequencing and automations but never say "it cant be done"
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

esselfortium

26 May 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:
esselfortium wrote:

Am I not allowed have an opinion?
You can do anything in reason, to say "You can't do something without scripting etc.." I don't buy into that.

Granted you may need to actually work on your sequencing and automations but never say "it cant be done"
I didn't say anything about opinions, actually! You claimed that there are ReFills that do more than this does, and I explained what benefits this has over them.

To give another example that makes for easy comparisons, Archtop for Kontakt has 1) actual recorded note slides between any given two notes, playable just by playing those two notes in sequence on your midi keyboard, and 2) plays notes from the correct string based on the other notes you're playing, so the same note can have a different tone depending on what chord you're playing it with. The ReFill version of Archtop still sounds nice and you can do good work with it, but it isn't nearly as powerful because it lacks both of these features. You can't just sequence them in manually -- the samples for them are not included because there's no effective way to configure that in Reason using the stock devices. This isn't about what you as a user are willing to do in the sequencer, but actual library functionality that is only currently achievable in REs (or of course in Kontakt, but we're talking Reason here).

No, StringWERK isn't the end-all-be-all of string libraries. It doesn't have solo strings, it doesn't have absolutely everything and if you need those then you'll have to get them elsewhere, but it is an undeniable fact that it is currently the only library available for Reason that has its specific set of functionality. People aren't excited because we "really want everything to be RE now and kill off refills". We're excited because we've been seeing this kind of stuff in Kontakt libraries for years now and developers have finally started bringing it over to Reason.
Sarah Mancuso

• Information