New Synth in the Shop: Megasaur

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Despondo
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2015

Benedict wrote:Click the Number of Saws Box.

:)
Thanks! I failed to read previous posts. ;-)

freeQlow

16 Nov 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:

Messing wit Nu MegaSaur :puf_bigsmile:
This is why I love Reason.
if you gave me control of those racks and your mouse, you wouldn't get it back for 5 hours!

pjeudy

16 Nov 2015

DLDTech wrote:Hope everyone enjoys this one - tried to come up with something a bit different (as always!).

The introductory price is strictly for this month only - it will go up to full price ($29) in December.

Rich @ DLD.
Dedicated displays show the Supersaw frequency spread and amplitude, which can all be changed in real-time
The fact that you can Automate this is awesome !!
Reminds me of this :-)
Dune 2 detuned.png
Dune 2 detuned.png (82.86 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
.... The only thing I find is that it sounds better if you stick it in a combinator and use the builtin Reason Filter ECF-42 set it to receive notes...you can get wayyy better sounding Plucks !
would be cool if:
1. If Megasaur had an envelope amount...it would help with plucks !!
2. Had a stereo width knob or slider !
I find that yes the default stereo makes it sounds very wide, but the minute you add a stereo image on there at small amount..it sound wayy to wide...sure a way to fix this is use the width knob on the Mixer!

Did a little run through...using only POLY mode 3
Good job Dev...quick and EZ Super saw :thumbs_up:
Attachments
DEMOMegasaur.mp3
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

eusti

16 Nov 2015

Cool demo, pjeudy! Thx for sharing!

D.

Majestik Monkey

16 Nov 2015

Despondo wrote:
Majestik Monkey wrote:

Quick question....How'd you get different colors for each instance of the RE?
Top right hand corner ' Where the Saw count is displayed ' Just click it once or continue to change the colour's further . :thumbs_up:

electrochoc (PRX-A)

17 Nov 2015

I'm very curious to try that "human" knob... And with the three saw oscillators, I'm really curious to know what kind of synthetic choirs one can make with this synth... When I upgrade Reason, this might be one of the first synths I try! Early 2016 maybe?
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

TheFesta

17 Nov 2015

Can anyone tell me how you detune the oscillators? Cant see this fuction on the front panel and cant get the demo video to work.
I was hoping for some aggressive detuned saws - can this do it?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

Aquila

17 Nov 2015

Benedict wrote:I am struggling to come to terms with the relationship between LP Cutoff and Filter Env. I am not seeing a Env to Filt knob and it seems that this is hardwired in some way... Manual doesn't make this clear.

Anyone worked it out, or perhaps Mr DLD can explain?

Thanks

You mean like an Envelope Amount assigned to the filter? I'm curious about this too.

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2015

TheFesta wrote:Can anyone tell me how you detune the oscillators? Cant see this fuction on the front panel and cant get the demo video to work.
Each OSC Detunes within itself but not from one to another, which sounds like a fail but isn't at all as you can see with the detuning the Thor Multi OSC has no particularly useful effect. Just detune/spread one OSC more than the other.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Majestik Monkey

17 Nov 2015

freeQlow wrote:
Majestik Monkey wrote:

This is why I love Reason.
if you gave me control of those racks and your mouse, you wouldn't get it back for 5 hours!
Hi FQL this is the Template , Its the same Tune but with Subtractor / R8.3.1
do some stuff n pass it Back ! :puf_bigsmile:
Attachments
Trance Template V1 136 BPM.rar
(154.58 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

DLDTech

17 Nov 2015

I'll try to answer a few questions:
Benedict wrote:I am struggling to come to terms with the relationship between LP Cutoff and Filter Env. )
Yes - it's hard coded. IIRC it's one octave range, but would need to double check the code. You could always use an external envelope and the filter CV ins, or try pjeudy's technique of using an external filter.
TheFesta wrote:Can anyone tell me how you detune the oscillators?
The centre frequency is always in-tune, and the 6 side frequencies detune as you move the mouse left / right. A detune per oscillator doesn't make much sense when dealing with supersaws. (Of course, stereo and analogue do change all the frequencies, but in cunning ways!).
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:I'm very curious to try that "human" knob
Be careful with your wording :o. Human mixes in a formant filter which is tuned to the 'ahhhhh' sound. I did try other vowels, but this is the one that worked best. Ideally you want a rich sound within the human vocal range (not too high or low).
pjeudy wrote:Had a stereo width knob or slider
The stereo algorithm is an on or off thing - because it works on frequencies, having it halfway would sound nasty. Of course you can turn down the stereo spread on the main mixer.

Hope that answers most of the questions.. Megasaur was always designed to be simple - I know some people would prefer more routing options, but I did try a lot of clever stuff and most of it sounded 'meh'. Of course there's nothing stopping you putting it in a combinator and going wild!
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

Nirude

17 Nov 2015

I´ve been thinking what to render next (although I haven't done the keyboard-Snakebyte yet...).
But as I saw this, I feel my rendering-fingers tingling. Maybe this weekend I´ll sprout this out.
3d man.

TheFesta

17 Nov 2015

Benedict wrote:
TheFesta wrote:Can anyone tell me how you detune the oscillators? Cant see this fuction on the front panel and cant get the demo video to work.
Each OSC Detunes within itself but not from one to another, which sounds like a fail but isn't at all as you can see with the detuning the Thor Multi OSC has no particularly useful effect. Just detune/spread one OSC more than the other.

Thankyou
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

DLDTech

17 Nov 2015

Nirude wrote:I´ve been thinking what to render next (although I haven't done the keyboard-Snakebyte yet...).
But as I saw this, I feel my rendering-fingers tingling. Maybe this weekend I´ll sprout this out.
I already have it in Blender format if that helps..
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

Nirude

17 Nov 2015

DLDTech wrote:I already have it in Blender format if that helps..
Please, If you can send me, that would help a lot. I had to google about Blender, never used that before.
Could you open your file and save as .OBJ (and if possible, save a .FBX too, I´ll try which one opens the best)
And also, if you can provide, send me the texturemaps also.
> > niiranen@gmail.com
3d man.

joeyluck

17 Nov 2015

This is becoming one of my favorites!

Perhaps I've come to realize how much I enjoy simplicity... And how much more productive I am when it comes to creating patches. My focus is often lost with synths jam-packed with features.

More like this please :)

chimp_spanner

17 Nov 2015

Wow! Nice surprise. Great stuff. I'll be getting this for sure!

boobytrap

17 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:intuitive interface! I like the use of the custom displays. This is a fun one!
Very nice :)
indeed :thumbs_up:
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

riemac

17 Nov 2015

This synth is very nice and the supersaw oscillators sounds very good. And what is also very importand, the CPU usage is very low. Other synths with supersaws use much more CPU. I wish the Multi Osc from Thor would sound as good as this one.

The only things which are a little strange are the envelopes, which are not behaving as expacted. For me it would be importend to implement an envelope amount for the filter. The second thing is the LP filter which doesn't close fully.

At the moment this synth is very good for fat supersaw pads. For plucks it is not as good because of the missing filter amount and the strange envelope behavior.

I would be glade if this could be fixed in an update, then this synth would be one of my favorates in the reason rack.

jonheal

17 Nov 2015

Why not Megasawr?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2015

DLDTech wrote: Of course there's nothing stopping you putting it in a combinator and going wild!
What a splendid idea . I think that's just what I will do !!

Seems an excellent buy, really good value :thumbs_up: Thanks

Dance FX 21

19 Nov 2015

DLDTech wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Easter-Eggish? It is in the manual after all...
If you click the saw count display, the custom display and sync gate color change!
If you look at the demo video, you'll see I colour coded them all with the track colours!
I saw that myself - cool idea!

Tincture

20 Nov 2015

Nice one DLD! I'm really having fun with this, sounds great, and some really nice features. Quite a diverse sound palette it can produce too for saying it's a simple synth.

joeyluck

22 Nov 2015

Be sure not to overlook this one before or during the Black Friday sale!
Get a jump on checking it out while it's still on sale during November. Great synth!

max|waves

23 Nov 2015

Perfect for Ehtnicolor II intro voice-pad! :thumbs_up:

• Information