Preview and beta call for new Ochen K synth

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
hydlide

24 Jul 2015

EnochLight wrote: Just a heads up guys - Ochen doesn't usually read the forums:
Ochen doesn't read his mailbox either ;)

eusti

24 Jul 2015

hydlide wrote:
Not sure why you'd say that, but I'd thought the same at times too! ;)

D.

thala

25 Jul 2015

come on guys... ochen is a coder.
it is realy ineffective to stop coding to read some mails, if you are in the flow...
i would do it the same way. coding extreme in blocks. and when a block is ready, do a break and have a look what happens in the meantime (mails etc.)
Last edited by thala on 25 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

bpmorton

25 Jul 2015

I'd like to see velocity as a modulator. This is missing from many of the new RE synths.

boobytrap

25 Jul 2015

hydlide wrote:
indeed !
Waiting !.jpg
Waiting !.jpg (75.32 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

MirEko

25 Jul 2015

Phew I thought id missed out on beta, but looks like they haven't rolled out yet so I'm still in with a chance :D
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

ochenk

25 Jul 2015

Seriously? I posted the call for beta testers 3 days ago. I'm going to continue to let people sign up for at least another day or two. (I usually keep signups open for a week.) When I close sign ups, I'll post an update here and on Facebook, and I'll send an email to beta testers with instructions with next steps. (As I always do.)

K1TTENM1TTEN

25 Jul 2015

I would also like to beta test this, if possible.

My user name is: K1TTENM1TTEN

thala

25 Jul 2015

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:I would also like to beta test this, if possible.

My user name is: K1TTENM1TTEN
then you have to send him a mail

hydlide

25 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:Seriously? I posted the call for beta testers 3 days ago. I'm going to continue to let people sign up for at least another day or two. (I usually keep signups open for a week.) When I close sign ups, I'll post an update here and on Facebook, and I'll send an email to beta testers with instructions with next steps. (As I always do.)
Serious, I am not familiar with your process on how to do beta testing and stuff like this. No offense, but when I apply for beta testing I normally get a respond with in 24 hours. At this point I felt like I just send an email and it just ended up in your spam box? How should I know? I didn't get a reply... So all I did was already gave up on the idea of beta testing this device and moved along.

Hey, here is how the internet works in a nutshell: no responds no beta testing. So all I can figure out right now is that I am already moving along to build this massive framework I am working on and forget about the idea that I actually have filed a application about beta testing some device I already forget about.

Seriously?! Yes I am building a framework. So by now you may know why my timing is precious on this. If I don't get an email in lets say 24 hours, I usually assume that either:

- the guy isn't interested for me doing stuff for him
- the guy in question really doesn't give a crap about the contents of the mail I send him
- the guy that received his email has a different agenda and does something totally with my email address instead.
- the guy in question has received my email but just ignores it

Serious... I have seen these things happen in the past, so hence my comment. And since I am in the IT business of it all I normally expect an email in less then 24 hours. I will just assume that it isn't applicable with Rack Extensions. Sorry for troubling you with this wall of text. But there is the way I am normal custom to things happening on the internet these days.

jappe

25 Jul 2015

thala wrote:come on guys... ochen is a coder.
it is realy ineffective to stop coding to read some mails, if you are in the flow...
i would do it the same way. coding extreme in blocks. and when a block is ready, do a break and have a look what happens in the meantime (mails etc.)
+1 on that one.
There's nothing like mail stress and similar to break any creativity flow.
Every coder should have a secretary who takes care of the other important part: communication with the users.

hydlide

25 Jul 2015

I am a coder, your point being?

eusti

25 Jul 2015

As someone having taken part in some RE beta tests now I'll just share some of my feelings and insights:

Ochen's setup seems to work for him, but can seem at times a bit unusual for the uninitiated...
In the normal world a response / acknowledgement of receipt within 24hours is customary when sending emails.
I agree with hydlide there... I just think that we all need to keep in mind that some people do this in their spare time...
So, quick and constant response to emails will most likely take away from development time...
There is only a certain amount of time reserved for RE related stuff...

To limit frustration it might help for both sides to be clear about the conditions...
It might help for developers to outline the procedures to ensure that potential testers don't fear something got lost...
And it might help us willing testers to keep in mind that we all want to make this a stress free and enjoyable endeavor that will hopefully lead to another exciting RE for our favorite DAW...

As well, I find that for instance involving testers and us amateur GUI designers into the product development is a great way of making us part of the process... I think there is a big potential of feeling invested in the outcome of things... I found though that there is a flip side to this: As we (the others, non developers) become part of the process we would like to be able to make this a good a product as possible... And that might or might not be in directons the developer had in mind... We are only helpers... Enabling the developers to create (hopefully) the best tools possible... I know, I sometimes forget! :shock:

D.
Last edited by eusti on 25 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

eusti

25 Jul 2015

hydlide wrote:
I am a coder, your point being?
It might just be that some people have different ways of communicating with the outside world while doing their thing...

D.

eusti

25 Jul 2015

jappe wrote:
+1 on that one.
There's nothing like mail stress and similar to break any creativity flow.
Every coder should have a secretary who takes care of the other important part: communication with the users.
That would be ideal, but not necessarily financially feasible...

D.

thala

25 Jul 2015

hydlide wrote:
ochenk wrote:Seriously? I posted the call for beta testers 3 days ago. I'm going to continue to let people sign up for at least another day or two. (I usually keep signups open for a week.) When I close sign ups, I'll post an update here and on Facebook, and I'll send an email to beta testers with instructions with next steps. (As I always do.)
Serious, I am not familiar with your process on how to do beta testing and stuff like this. No offense, but when I apply for beta testing I normally get a respond with in 24 hours. At this point I felt like I just send an email and it just ended up in your spam box? How should I know? I didn't get a reply... So all I did was already gave up on the idea of beta testing this device and moved along.

Hey, here is how the internet works in a nutshell: no responds no beta testing. So all I can figure out right now is that I am already moving along to build this massive framework I am working on and forget about the idea that I actually have filed a application about beta testing some device I already forget about.

Seriously?! Yes I am building a framework. So by now you may know why my timing is precious on this. If I don't get an email in lets say 24 hours, I usually assume that either:

- the guy isn't interested for me doing stuff for him
- the guy in question really doesn't give a crap about the contents of the mail I send him
- the guy that received his email has a different agenda and does something totally with my email address instead.
- the guy in question has received my email but just ignores it

Serious... I have seen these things happen in the past, so hence my comment. And since I am in the IT business of it all I normally expect an email in less then 24 hours. I will just assume that it isn't applicable with Rack Extensions. Sorry for troubling you with this wall of text. But there is the way I am normal custom to things happening on the internet these days.
you are not the only one, who gave him some feature requests. and if everybody did so... he has to work through maybe hundred emails, while getting the baby ready for beta.
my experiences from the driver beta tells me: if ochen decides to bring in another feature, it will be implemented already next week (just a fictive date), when the beta starts. he is a pretty straight forward guy, not wasting any time to reach his goal: Release.
if you wanna work with ochen you just have to deal with the fact that he is working in blocks. sometime this time-management is a bit wierd for the tester/customer, but it is the fastest way for him and us to get this baby in our hands...

ochenk

25 Jul 2015

Thanks hydlide and others. It's good to get your perspectives.

1) I'm hoping to send out an email to beta testers tomorrow with next steps. If at that point, you or anyone else is no longer able or interested in testing 4MER, that's totally fine. You can ignore the email. No hard feelings. It won't exclude you from any future testing or anything.

2) There are many many things that I wish I could do as a RE developer that I'm not doing. I wish I could read this forum every day. I wish I could work on a better website for my REs. I wish I could be on more social media. I wish I could do more videos. I wish I could do manuals for my REs. And I wish I could respond to every email. But if I did even just a few of these things, I would have exactly zero time left to make any REs. And hiring anyone to help would instantly make my RE business unprofitable. Hell, my REs don't even pay for me. I have a full-time job. RE development is something I do on nights and weekends. So, in terms of emails, I read every single one. I file beta signups until signups are closed and then add everyone to a private mailing list and communicate that way. With other emails, I prioritize bug reports and try to respond to those as best as I can. With other things like feature requests, idea pitches, press inquiries, etc., I try to respond, but I don't get to all of them. It's not ideal, but it's how it has to be for now.

3) Based on this thread, I'm going to add an auto-response for anything sent to my RE email (reinfo@ochenk.com) that basically says the above.

Thanks again.

jfrichards

26 Jul 2015

Strange to see the most accessible developer ever who just initiated and completed the most open pre-beta gui design thread ever being criticized for not responding quickly to emails. Having been involved with many betas, I find the assertion that 24 hour response is some kind of norm to be sort of funny. For those new to helping out with betas, I should tell you that response time can vary from instant to several months.

Tincture

26 Jul 2015

jfrichards wrote:Strange to see the most accessible developer ever who just initiated and completed the most open pre-beta gui design thread ever being criticized for not responding quickly to emails. Having been involved with many betas, I find the assertion that 24 hour response is some kind of norm to be sort of funny. For those new to helping out with betas, I should tell you that response time can vary from instant to several months.
Well said John. I've always found Ochen to be very methodical anđ organised and his record for user interaction is up there with the very best IMO.

I just signed up on his beta-testing site, very simple and straightforward.

EnochLight

26 Jul 2015

jfrichards wrote:Strange to see the most accessible developer ever who just initiated and completed the most open pre-beta gui design thread ever being criticized for not responding quickly to emails. Having been involved with many betas, I find the assertion that 24 hour response is some kind of norm to be sort of funny. For those new to helping out with betas, I should tell you that response time can vary from instant to several months.
+10. THIS.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

geronimo

27 Jul 2015

In the same time, at the rate where this editor produces News Rack Extension format, we can understand the lack of answers . :)

MirEko

27 Jul 2015

geronimo wrote:In the same time, at the rate where this editor produces News Rack Extension format, we can understand the lack of answers . :)
:cool:

He is a very prolific RE programmer. I can truthfully say that there is a ochen RE in pretty much every song I make
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

mojo

27 Jul 2015

I won't test it but I'll buy it !!!

Arrant
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2015

mojo wrote:I won't test it but I'll buy it !!!
I'm sure Ochen won't mind that either :thumbs_up:

mojo

27 Jul 2015

Maybe or maybe not and i don't care. A good synth is a good synth whoever made it.

• Information