Revolution Virtual Surround is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Tincture

18 Feb 2015

Oh oh... this looks nice, just watched the videos, I'm going to have to Try this! Congrats DLD! I recently got Snakebite and Speak n Tweak and love them both. This looks like another innovative and useful RE.

joeyluck

18 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:I'm not really getting a 3D feel from this...  

I'm also getting a warping effect. What causes that? The adjustment in delay?
normen wrote:
Depending what you mean by "warping" thats the doppler effect, like when a police car with a siren passes you and the pitch of the siren seems to become lower as it passes you.
The one I'm referring to is a little choppy.

It also occurs at any speed and without changing direction. And no matter speed change.

It doesn't really represent the doppler effect... Not sure why it behaves this way...

Perhaps it's tied to the same bug effecting the zoom?

Shokstar

18 Feb 2015

marcuswitt wrote:Normen, you can achieve the same thing by using your own RE, VMG-01, and two Synapse's GQ-7 EQs to emulate Blauert's directional bands. :thumbup:
would you like to share a combinator patch with us please?

lowpryo

18 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Try to with Revolution what you hear in the last video, I tried but I couldn't. The Dev already explained this RE isn't a Binaural effect while HD3 is

I'm no expert on the subject but I think the reason why the 2nd Longcat video sounds so great is because of the added reverb. It sounds like when the sound source moves to one side, you can hear more "room" reflections on the other side. Likewise, when the source moves further away, you hear less source and more "room". I think this is what makes it much more "real", and why it's much easier to "feel" the direction. i dunno how this was implemented, whether the HRTF was measured in a specific reverb-y room or if it's artificial reverb added afterwards. but i think that's what is happening.
on the other hand, Revolution (and the 1st Longcat video you posted) are trying to simulate 3D space in the far field with no early reflections. Which, even in real life, is much harder to pinpoint. so the RE is doing the job correctly, but maybe it's not the job you prefer.

joeyluck

18 Feb 2015

lowprio wrote:I'm no expert on the subject but I think the reason why the 2nd Longcat video sounds so great is because of the added reverb. It sounds like when the sound source moves to one side, you can hear more "room" reflections on the other side.
You can also achieve a similar effect on an audio in Reason by using a reverb as a send and panning the return.

And with Revolution, maybe you can play with the addition of reverb in the chain?

kloeckno

18 Feb 2015

Using a true stereo reverb (or 2 RV7000s panned left and right) should add a lot more realism to Revolution.

pushedbutton

18 Feb 2015

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ocean of Waves

18 Feb 2015

lowprio wrote:I'm no expert on the subject but I think the reason why the 2nd Longcat video sounds so great is because of the added reverb. It sounds like when the sound source moves to one side, you can hear more "room" reflections on the other side.
joeyluck wrote:
You can also achieve a similar effect on an audio in Reason by using a reverb as a send and panning the return.

And with Revolution, maybe you can play with the addition of reverb in the chain?
Lowprio might be on to something, I'll try to build it in a combinator. You can't get this effect with stock stuff alone ;)

JoshuaPhilgarlic

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:nice stereo pan but 3d LOL ?!!  

3d codecs and speakers woukd not work with a 2.0 or 2.1 system unless it got some THX or other 2.1 system but even then it's spatialisation and not 3d ! so yhea nice lie .....
Ah, the good old THX myth :D !

THX is a quality standard for speaker systems and room acoustics. It's meant to provide a listening experience as close as possible to the mixing studio. It has absolutely nothing to do with 2D, 3D or as many Ds you can emagine ;) . In cinemas, Dolby Atmos is used for some kind of 3D experience (even though there's no "bottom", 'cause that's where the audience is sitting ;) ). In good theaters there probably will be a THX system, but that's not essential for 3D to work.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

18 Feb 2015

lowprio wrote:I'm no expert on the subject but I think the reason why the 2nd Longcat video sounds so great is because of the added reverb.
Agree. I don't experience any noteworthy "behind" or "up/down" effect in both Longcat's first video and Revolution, but when reverb is added in the 2nd video, it's frightening good!

Maybe DLD should add an Aux send to feed a reverb device depending on angle and distance??

I think the models used in this RE just aren't compatible to my head - or vice versa ;) .

joeyluck

18 Feb 2015

I've achieved some cool sounds paired with reverb by having two Revolutions (one dedicated left and the other for the right).

Would be cool to be able to add/control multiple speakers within the same unit/display.

joeyluck

18 Feb 2015

One thing I certainly like is the 'ghosting' of the speaker in the display via CV modulation. Finally some visual feedback without the use of a Combinator.

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:nice stereo pan but 3d LOL ?!!  

3d codecs and speakers woukd not work with a 2.0 or 2.1 system unless it got some THX or other 2.1 system but even then it's spatialisation and not 3d ! so yhea nice lie .....
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Ah, the good old THX myth :D !

THX is a quality standard for speaker systems and room acoustics. It's meant to provide a listening experience as close as possible to the mixing studio. It has absolutely
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:nothing
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: to do with 2D, 3D or as many Ds you can emagine ;) . In cinemas, Dolby Atmos is used for some kind of 3D experience (even though there's no "bottom", 'cause that's where the audience is sitting ;) ). In good theaters there probably will be a THX system, but that's not essential for 3D to work.
I know, thx is not a encoding sound tech but there is 3d thx sound systems that let you feel a 360 sound more or less and it is ideal to play a 3d codec with .

thx works in stereo 2.1 or above  but it's not a real stereo this is why you get a 3d type of experience the same way in a movie theatre if you sit on middle front raws or anywherew else even corners ...... right ? :D

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

normen

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: I know, thx is not a encoding sound tech but there is 3d thx sound systems that let you feel a 360 sound more or less and it is ideal to play a 3d codec with .

thx works in stereo 2.1 or above  but it's not a real stereo this is why you get a 3d type of experience the same way in a movie theatre if you sit on middle front raws or anywherew else even corners ...... right ? :D

Actually you don't, you just get the next best thing which is a halfway similar experience in all seats..

And as Joshua indicated, THX is not a certain technology, its a specification for movie theater rooms. It means that the system and room plays back the audio as it was mixed in a Skywalker Sound studio (or at least as similar as possible). Its a combination of speakers, their setup, the room layout and more. They actually put the THX tag on way too many things (obviously because they get money out of it). But if you buy a DVD with the "THX" label on it that basically means nothing, just as speakers with a "THX" label say nothing if you put them on the shelves in your living room. Sure these items would perform correctly in a complete THX chain (source to seat) but having only one of the things in the chain won't do much.

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: I know, thx is not a encoding sound tech but there is 3d thx sound systems that let you feel a 360 sound more or less and it is ideal to play a 3d codec with .

normen wrote:
Actually you don't, you just get the next best thing which is a halfway similar experience in all seats..

And as Joshua indicated, THX is not a certain technology, its a specification for movie theater rooms. It means that the system and room plays back the audio as it was mixed in a Skywalker Sound studio (or at least as similar as possible). Its a combination of speakers, their setup, the room layout and more. They actually put the THX tag on way too many things (obviously because they get money out of it). But if you buy a DVD with the "THX" label on it that basically means nothing, just as speakers with a "THX" label say nothing if you put them on the shelves in your living room. Sure these items would perform correctly in a complete THX chain (source to seat) but having only one of the things in the chain won't do much.
I anderstand , I do anderstand because I played a lot of music into a z623 speaker system and it's stereo but not all the way if that make senss , it's like a mide/side mixed with stereo or something .
I noticed that the day I played with the pan on reason will being hooked to it , great thing to discover your projects are not mixed the way your ears was telling you they was .

JoshuaPhilgarlic

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:thx works in stereo 2.1 or above  but it's not a real stereo this is why you get a 3d type of experience the same way in a movie theatre if you sit on middle front raws or anywherew else even corners ...... right ? :D
Nope. All this has nothing to do with the THX lable! THX is a quality standard established by Lucas Film for speakers and room acoustics. So even a single loudspeaker box can be labled as "THX". It would be THX indeed, 'cause it accomplishes their standards, but it's still mono, without any 3D ;) !

I think what you believe to be 3D is a normal 5.1 or 7.1 system: although the best listening position would still be in the center, it's not a big issue to sit in a corner. But that's not because of any kind of THX voodoo, but because there's an extra speaker in the center of the screen. So unlike pure stereo playback (with a speaker for left and right), there's also a stable center source for most dialogue and effects.

And of course there are the surround channels (two for 5.1 and four for 7.1). They do exactly what their name says: they surround the audience, play sounds that come from the side or from behind. But again: this has absolutely nothing to do with THX magic. Those signals are fead by descrete channels and played by any kind of speakers.

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:thx works in stereo 2.1 or above  but it's not a real stereo this is why you get a 3d type of experience the same way in a movie theatre if you sit on middle front raws or anywherew else even corners ...... right ? :D
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Nope. All this has nothing to do with the THX lable! THX is a quality standard established by Lucas Film for speakers and room acoustics. So even a single loudspeaker box can be labled as "THX". It would be THX indeed, 'cause it accomplishes their standards, but it's still mono, without any 3D ;) !

I think what you believe to be 3D is a normal 5.1 or 7.1 system: although the best listening position would still be in the center, it's not a big issue to sit in a corner. But that's not because of any kind of THX voodoo, but because there's an extra speaker in the center of the screen. So unlike pure stereo playback (with a speaker for left and right), there's also a stable center source for most dialogue and effects.

And of course there are the surround channels (two for 5.1 and four for 7.1). They do exactly what their name says: they surround the audience, play sounds that come from the side or from behind. But again: this has absolutely nothing to do with THX magic. Those signals are fead by descrete channels and played by any kind of speakers.
I anderstand what you say now , I was thinking that them 360 thx surround sound speakers from Logitech are not a fake stereo thingy because of THX , THX is a certification for callity .

I was thinking that the 360° fx was from thx surround tech's in those but it was hard to get for me LOL

gak

18 Feb 2015

I'm not ready to try this yet, but could be a very interesting way of mixing guitar parts imho. 

dvdrtldg

18 Feb 2015

Interesting device, I'm not sure that the 3D modelling is completely convincing but as a weird stereo imager it has all sort of cool applications. Seems like great value at the price too.

Becoming a big fan of DLD - Snakebite and the AS-16 sequencer always seem to make it into my tracks, and this one looks like it'll do the same.

Theo.M

19 Feb 2015

would have liked this to have a tempo synced pattern ability..

Gaja

19 Feb 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Nope. All this has nothing to do with the THX lable! THX is a quality standard established by Lucas Film for speakers and room acoustics. So even a single loudspeaker box can be labled as "THX". It would be THX indeed, 'cause it accomplishes their standards, but it's still mono, without any 3D ;) !

CharlyCharlzz wrote:
I anderstand what you say now , I was thinking that them 360 thx surround sound speakers from Logitech are not a fake stereo thingy because of THX , THX is a certification for callity .

I was thinking that the 360° fx was from thx surround tech's in those but it was hard to get for me LOL

From what I understand, standards like dolby or thx are maainly money making machines. Basically if you want your movie to be in surround, that's not a big deal. If you want it to be dolby surround, ten you'll have to use the dolby plugins for measuring and so on, but that's not all. Of course you have to send the mix to dolby, because tey have to check it before they put their seal on it. Yes of course that costs money. Basically it's the same with thx. But it doesn't mean, that a surround mix that is not dolby is worse in any way.
Don't buy into it too much. These labels don't mean anything really...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ocean of Waves

19 Feb 2015

Very cool, when I searched for Binaural mics a couple of years ago 3Dio wasn't making any mics yet I guess, because I never heard of them. $499,- is affordable for these type of mics.

I eventually bought a pair of 'Soundman OKM' Binaural mics.
They're a bit cheaper and as a plus you use your own head, so it's much discreter. Nobody knows you're recording. The sound-quality is remarkable similar to those used in the video.

joeyluck

19 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Very cool, when I searched for Binaural mics a couple of years ago 3Dio wasn't making any mics yet I guess, because I never heard of them. $499,- is affordable for these type of mics.

I eventually bought a pair of 'Soundman OKM' Binaural mics.
They're a bit cheaper and as a plus you use your own head, so it's much discreter. Nobody knows you're recording. The sound-quality is remarkable similar to those used in the video.
Very cool. I was only aware of the binaural mics like the Neumann.

Was taking a look at the ones by Microphone Madness as well as the ones by Roland.
I like the idea of dual functionality of being able to use them as mics and headphones at the same time. So I could capture audio on my Zoom H5 and then listen to the playback...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... hones.html
Any knowledge of these? The reviews seem to be good...

Ocean of Waves

19 Feb 2015

The thing with my Soundmans is that they're omni-mics, so it also records inside my head.

• Information