VST in reason, effects on the rack extension market?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
-008'

01 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:I'm keeping that garbage ass nexus out my reason tracks regardless.
That's reserved for those wack ass fl studio collabs I be involved in lol :lol:
LMAO!

The worst is when they load Nexus just for a super simple sine lead or something.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Oquasec

01 May 2017

Meh, I'm just hating on it. It's a time saver in fls though when you just want to get a groove goin in some songs and whatnot.
[I don't want any refx stuff in my propeller]
Last edited by Oquasec on 01 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

-008'

01 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:Meh, I'm just hating on it. It's a time saver in fls though when you just want to get a groove goin in some songs and whatnot.
Oh yeah, of course.

FL users have to use it (and others) because FL doesn't have any good instruments included until you get into the XXL versions.

Not us Reason users tho. ;) we get way more love right out of the gate.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Karim
Competition Winner

01 May 2017

-008' wrote:
Oquasec wrote:Meh, I'm just hating on it. It's a time saver in fls though when you just want to get a groove goin in some songs and whatnot.
Oh yeah, of course.

FL users have to use it (and others) because FL doesn't have any good instruments included until you get into the XXL versions.

Not us Reason users tho. ;) we get way more love right out of the gate.
AFAIK Cytrus and Harmour kicks asses (and Maximus IMO is best multiband limiter so far)
It was ironic, isn't it?

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Oquasec

01 May 2017

Not trying to be that one absolutely egregious hipster [LMFAO] But yep, pretty much what I'm gettin at when it comes to nexus, specifically.
Producer/Programmer.

Pralijah

02 May 2017

Who knows if RE will create its own graveyard, or will rise on to thrive. I hope the latter. But truth is usually not black and white, but somewhere between, so some RE:s that do not update, will fade away, and other more dedicated developers will find new ways in the new environment. It might be a good thing in the end. As long as the RE format are moving forward.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

RequiemMachine

02 May 2017

Just wanted add a few things that I hadn't noticed through this thread....while all devs are in business and make money...not all of them are in it "for the money". Take Rob Papen...he is passionate about what he does. It's obvious he wants to make the best plugins he can for his customer. Also, it's obvious he wants to make REs, since he's made synths that are RE exclusive as well. There are dev's out there that legit like the RE format and it comes across in what the release. Especially devs that use reason themselves. That's a big reason why I believe the RE format will grow and continue. Also, I feel like the majority of us that buy into REs do it because we want to...not because we have to. I think that will continue after 9.5 as well.

After looking at the RE SDK and VST SDKs....the RE SDK seems far more appealing to me and my coder partner as well.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Oquasec

08 May 2017

Because there's a reason rack extensions are still getting bought, vsts now have cv ports at the back like reason devices which I think makes it EASIER FOR PEOPLE ON THE FENCE ABOUT MIGRATING TO REASON FOR EVERYTHING AND GETTING INTO THE ECOSYSTEM.

The emi module was the first step in making reason accessible for everyone interested in modular world, so how would vst support ruin what propellerhead has been doing in the rack extension market for years? :lol: Did rewire harm reason?
Did all of those workarounds for vsts people had to use previously before emi and emi 2 hurt reason?
:lol: making reason more accessible to it's userbase in the form of updates will do the opposite.
Producer/Programmer.

Lov2sing

09 May 2017

If we think about all the things we have been asking for and think about the gift we have received then we all should be happy; however some think this is the end of Reason which that is not so. The people that have always had VST's are not in arms in fact they welcome the idea. We need to just calm down for RE's is Reason and if they let them die then so will the core base of Reason. So enjoy the gift and think of it as just another tool instead of the down fall of all things. Anyway I been using VST's since I had the ability to do loop-back and other than UA and a couple more high end VST's the sound and the function are about the same. The real difference is all the other big DAW's have hardware to go beside their software. Until Reason joins with a company to add hardware, then it is no better than FL studio or other smaller DAW's on the market. The difference is hardware not VST's. Other than being able to use anyone's interface Reason is just a great software platform, which I have enjoyed since 2.5. IMO I'm sure Mackie or some other hardware company would love to have a great dedicated software platform partner to join with. My hope this will attract just that type of venture. Oh for all you dooms day pundants you are still able to keep any version you like which make Reason great.
We make music for a reason

ltbrunt00

09 May 2017

From the videos the Props seem to have the best implementation for VST and can only get better from here. This could be the new battleground with who can best integrate VST functionality into their DAW.

Would it be possible to add VST's right into the Reason rack. Maybe if your monitor was detected as a certain size this would be allowed.

With these recent rack extension releases the people putting out RE's are getting better with every device. Some of these RE's would make a pretty penny if turned into VST.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

09 May 2017

If they add VST to the Prop shop along side RE's I am guaranteed to go broke. Maybe the Props can do an RE Layaway or Rent to own like that splice site. Don't act like you wouldn't do it.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

kitekrazy

10 May 2017

ivar wrote:hi
reason is now in challenge with fl studio. you can use extra fl studio plugins as an vst version - witch are more expensive or as an fl studio only product witch are cheaper but cant be used outside fl studio. maybee the RE go the same way who knows. but the real big thing is: you dont pay for fl studio DAW updates. you get them for free. they earn money with selling the plug ins to the old users base. a fine way of keeping every user DAW up to date.
maybee PH are forced to go the same way.

regards
Maybe in a couple of decades. FL is the most downloaded DAW out there. There income is based on getting new users. Their business model is much different. They don't have a large staff. They are in constant communication with their users. They thrive on service after the sale. When they release a new version it is not a dud. They work very hard on being the most popular DAW. They also lose users to other DAWs. The lifetime updates bring insecurity issues to some users and those in charge have to remind them everything is fine. I'd bet Props has 3 times the staff of Image-Line.

Pretty interesting when Cakewalk was doing their "subscription" model, Props was interested in that. Under that model Sonar was being updated or giving stuff away every month. Then they also offered lifetime updates for a price and it was a 6 month window. I took advantage of that. I think Props would have failed at that.

I think the Reason $129 upgrade is is very fair. I don't complain about that one. You can't upgrade Live, Sonar, Studio One, for that amount. Cubase will even ask you to pay for a .5 upgrade. I'm in no hurry for Live 10 and I have the Suite. Just think Props could have jumped to 10 and made you pay for the VST upgrade. I could see some developers doing that a decade ago but the DAW market is a lot more competitive. But.......if Props went to lifetime updates, I'm in. The only thing I wish they would do is make it difficult to say "no' to an upgrade. Sonar 8 was to be my last version but they offered free stuff that made you more interested in the free stuff than the app. I think it would be nice say when Reason 10 comes out they could give upgraders one of the Props REs or stop making REs and make something like Parsec or the A-Lists part of Reason. No more Props REs. I think the last time new users got a better bargain than loyal users.

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

Should I be worried about the future of REs?
I have already gone through the whole rigmarole about a year ago of VST or no VST. and I have already made my decision as to what I like and it's definitely the RE. Simply for the reason they are super easy to keep track of and super easy to download.
But with this new addition of VSTs I am a little worried that my favorite ways of getting FX and synths is going to be a thing of the past.
Can somebody relieve my worries and tell me everything's going to be ok :?

danc

10 May 2017

Not sure I can relieve you unless we get a proper road-map announcement from PH confirming their intentions that RE will be actively considered/supported going forward. History tells us they will be tight-lipped and surprise us at every turn. This is fine for hobbyist types... but for those where it is their livelihood, a clear vision would help so that financial decisions are made with insight, not guessing/hoping/assuming.
Check my Soundcloud:

QVprod

10 May 2017

danc wrote:Not sure I can relieve you unless we get a proper road-map announcement from PH confirming their intentions that RE will be actively considered/supported going forward.
There is viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7500301&start=25#p322527

I'm sure Propellerhead in contact with developers who may be concerned about this.

tumar

10 May 2017

kitekrazy wrote:I think the Reason $129 upgrade is is very fair. I don't complain about that one. You can't upgrade Live, Sonar, Studio One, for that amount.

But Studio One gets many free updates with many features and at least once a year upgrades are on sale. I have S1 Pro 3.4. Started from S1 Artist 1, never paid full price for
any upgrade.

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

Advanced Suite wrote:Should I be worried about the future of REs?
I have already gone through the whole rigmarole about a year ago of VST or no VST. and I have already made my decision as to what I like and it's definitely the RE. Simply for the reason they are super easy to keep track of and super easy to download.
But with this new addition of VSTs I am a little worried that my favorite ways of getting FX and synths is going to be a thing of the past.
Can somebody relieve my worries and tell me everything's going to be ok :?
For Propellerhead to drop RE's they'd have to waste time converting all of their existing RE's to stock devices, which would take a lot more effort.

It wouldn't make any sense for them to stop supporting Rack Extensions, so you've got nothing to worry about.

Re8et
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

DLDTech wrote:
esselfortium wrote: DLDTech are you in the BETA?
No, I've not got a beta copy so can't comment on how it works.
avasopht wrote: Well Propellerhead can have them purchase at the Prop Shop so there's no need for Apple's to take a cut.
I think Apple always take a cut for any purchase, and don't normally allow purchasing of add-ons outside of their app store.. Could be wrong though as I haven't looked into it recently..

Anyway, it's great news for everyone except developers!! More choice = more competition = lower prices :)
Man, the AS-16 sequencer was one of the reasons I got into Reason 9, with the Vikings Synth.
I know there is an Analogue sequencer emul of the doepfer out there, but it ain't the cv stuff.
I don't know how tight the notes really are, I still own an Atari ST and I doubt both gets even close to him sequencer.
Keep developing! Don't get loose tight fast! :PUF_figure:

devilfish

10 May 2017

Buy Reason 10 and get over 200 RE for free !!!

Could be the new PH way.. VST Support kills all RE-dev's to have a lot of (all) RE for free :D

NICE! (Not for every one)

• Information