AutoLevel / Gain Level Normalizer (Turn2On)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

19 Jun 2024

AutoLevel Gain Level Normalizer
Gain Leveler effect

• Powerful auto level normalizer fx
• Perfectly control dynamic balance
• Maintain vocals, balance tracks, smooth listening

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ormalizer/

Introducing AUTOLEVEL, the essential audio tool for musicians and studio engineers seeking perfect dynamic balance in their recordings. AUTOLEVEL is a powerful level normalizer that ensures your audio never gets too loud or too quiet, delivering a consistently polished sound. This leveler effect is particularly valuable for maintaining vocal consistency, balancing instrumental tracks, and ensuring a smooth listening experience.

AUTOLEVEL is the ultimate tool for achieving consistent audio levels, enhancing the quality and professionalism of your recordings. With its intuitive controls and advanced normalization algorithms, this plugin is an indispensable addition to any musician’s or audio engineer’s toolkit. Experience the difference of precise level control with AUTOLEVEL and elevate your sound to new heights.

madwurmz

19 Jun 2024

cool new stuff! the tumbnail got me excited for a fun colorful effect but I see now thats just some cool promotional image. :lol:
I tried it , but I found it not so intuitive, I mean I have no idea what I'm doing! that's very normal for me , but then some guidance could help , like presets, or some visual feedback, some wav signal visible, to see the peaks, even if it wasn't colorful :puf_wink: like those meters on the right could've overlap the Target / Floor so I can cut or boost depending on the actual metered volume?
I tried to discover what's going on by bouncing a sample with various settings, I can see it works , thats cool :thumbup: , just need more time with it I guess :clap:

I could argue, the purple border is kind of ridiculous it makes it look like in a constant state of being selected but now I'm just talking too much :redface:
madwurmz from planet verbs

stratatonic

19 Jun 2024

madwurmz wrote:
19 Jun 2024
like those meters on the right ....

Where are you seeing a meter?

madwurmz

19 Jun 2024

stratatonic wrote:
19 Jun 2024
madwurmz wrote:
19 Jun 2024
like those meters on the right ....

I mean there's moving level indicators on the most right side of the rack?
:puf_smile:
madwurmz from planet verbs

stratatonic

19 Jun 2024

turn2on wrote:
19 Jun 2024
AutoLevel Gain Level Normalizer
Gain Leveler effect

• Powerful auto level normalizer fx
• Perfectly control dynamic balance
• Maintain vocals, balance tracks, smooth listening

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ormalizer/
I'm guessing that you click and drag (up/down) in the Target and Floor boxes to change those values, yeah? How about the Recovery? Drag to the left/right?
madwurmz wrote:
19 Jun 2024
stratatonic wrote:
19 Jun 2024

I mean there's moving level indicators on the most right side of the rack?
:puf_smile:
Oh...those meters... :redface:

turn2on
RE Developer

22 Jun 2024

Central display is visualisation of the balance between Target and Floor.
As you can look, blue and red vertical lines near to values show range limits of Target (0.. -24 dB) and Floor (0.. -60)

Recovery is controllable as values display digits, and horizontal fader

As in the manual and product info,
https://shop-20220407094725533500000002 ... oLevel.pdf

TARGET AMT: Determines the strength of the level correction applied to the audio.
Use this control to set how aggressively effect should correct deviations from the target level. Higher values result in more pronounced level adjustments.

FLOOR LEVEL: Effect will not boost audio signals quieter than this level.
Set this to prevent boosting very quiet sounds that may include unwanted noise. Only signals above this floor level will be normalized. Do not boost if the input is quieter than this.
OLED DISPLAY Display show Target / Floor levels balance

RECOVERY TIME: Adjusts the response time of the level correction. This control determines how quickly AUTOLEVEL responds to changes in audio level. Shorter recovery times are ideal for dynamic performances, while longer times provide a more gradual adjustment.

gbuck

22 Jun 2024

Hey, would you have any signal chain diagrams or usage video? I grabbed it from the shop. Thanks

A.sch3

23 Jun 2024

Looks like some other form of the famous "Leveler" from Selig, can you tell me what are the differences with it ?

Bes
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2024

auto
- Certified Reason expert

Theo.M

25 Jun 2024

Hi, is there a sidechain function to keep say the vocal at a consistent level vs the mix?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra/64Gb/Apollo T-Bolt 3/OS 14.6.1/PT 2024.6/R13.02/Logic 11.01
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/PT 2024.6/R13.02/Low DPC latency tuned

Theo.M

25 Jun 2024

BTW that's a really great price, very cool of you. If I am understanding it correctly, seems a great compliment to Selig Gain.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra/64Gb/Apollo T-Bolt 3/OS 14.6.1/PT 2024.6/R13.02/Logic 11.01
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/PT 2024.6/R13.02/Low DPC latency tuned

turn2on
RE Developer

27 Jun 2024

Good, I try to make more clear info for this RE:

Understanding AUTOLEVEL
1. Target Level: This parameter sets the desired output level for your audio. By specifying this level, AUTOLEVEL adjusts the volume of your audio so that it hovers around this set point.
Usage: Choose a target level that matches the typical loudness level you want for your recordings. For instance, if you want your audio to consistently peak at -1 dB, set the target level to -1 dB. This helps in maintaining a uniform volume across different tracks or segments of your audio.

2. Target Amount (Target AMT): This control determines how strongly the AUTOLEVEL effect will correct the audio to meet the target level. A higher value means more aggressive normalization, while a lower value allows for more natural variations in volume.
Usage: Use a high Target AMT for tracks that require strict volume control, such as podcasts or voiceovers. For music tracks or more dynamic content, a moderate Target AMT preserves the natural dynamics while still preventing extreme volume fluctuations.

3. Floor Level: This parameter sets a minimum threshold level below which the audio will not be boosted. It prevents the amplification of very quiet parts of the recording, which might include unwanted noise.
Usage: Set the Floor Level slightly above the background noise level of your recording environment. This ensures that only meaningful audio signals are normalized, avoiding the amplification of noise.
Without the Floor setting, it would keep applying more gain until you hear the background noise floor (if it's not digital silence). Setting the range to -40 dB means that signals quieter than -40 will not have more gain applied to bring their level up.

Automatic Processing Capabilities
Effect quickly normalize tracks without having to manually adjust volume levels.
It changing the gain, not like a compressor, it's trying to normalize the signal level without noticing the gain changing, automatically.
How well it works depends on the signal. It can work well for vocals as a first step before FX applies other processing. But for a mix or drum track it's can be not helpful as there you don't want the level to be changing.

Using AUTOLEVEL Effectively
1/ Set Appropriate Levels:
- Start by setting the Target Level to the desired output level based on the context of your audio (e.g., -1 dB for music instruments, -3 dB for speech).
- Adjust the Target AMT based on how much dynamic variation you want. For strict level control, set it higher; for more natural dynamics, set it lower.
- Determine the Floor Level based on your recording environment to avoid amplifying unwanted noise.

2/ Test and Iterate:
- Apply the AUTOLEVEL effect to a test segment of your audio.
- Listen to the output and adjust the parameters as needed to achieve the desired balance between consistency and naturalness.

3/ Monitor Levels:
- Continuously monitor the output levels to ensure they remain within the desired range.
- Use metering tools to visualize the dynamic range and make further adjustments if necessary.

4/ Integration with other Effects:
- Combine AUTOLEVEL with other effects such as compression, EQ, reverb for a polished final mix.
- Apply AUTOLEVEL early in the signal chain to ensure a consistent input level for subsequent effects.

Practical Example
Imagine you are mixing a podcast, or vocal track. The host's voice fluctuates in volume, making parts of the recording too loud and others too quiet.
- Set the Target Level: For a voice, you might set the target level to -3 dB to ensure clear and consistent speech/vocal.
- Adjust the Target AMT: Set the target amount to a high value (e.g., 80%) to aggressively normalize the audio, ensuring all parts of the speech are at a similar volume.
- Set the Floor Level: Determine the background noise level (e.g., -40 dB) and set the floor level slightly above this (e.g., -35 dB) to avoid boosting background noise.

This can help you achieve a balanced audio recording, saving time and effort in the post-production process.

turn2on
RE Developer

27 Jun 2024

A.sch3 wrote:
23 Jun 2024
Looks like some other form of the famous "Leveler" from Selig, can you tell me what are the differences with it ?
Selig Leveler is a very cool device with various flexible possibilities and complex controls based on upwards compression.
Our AutoLevel, more simple and help to fast normalize the signal level without you noticing the gain changing. Use it first at raw signal (first in chain) before additional FX processing.
Theo.M wrote:
25 Jun 2024
Hi, is there a sidechain function to keep say the vocal at a consistent level vs the mix?
How effect work in concrete situation - it's more about nature and kind of the signal. Autolevel works well with Vocal and types of signal.
As example, with new in R13 SIDECHAIN TOOL, you can test it for CV Inputs of this RE, starting with Target Input. Sidechain in this FX may be more experimental feature. Can be realised, if this hardly needed in work for users. But idea of the device - to normalize the signal level without you noticing the gain changing.

A.sch3

29 Jun 2024

turn2on wrote:
27 Jun 2024
Our AutoLevel, more simple and help to fast normalize the signal level without you noticing the gain changing. Use it first at raw signal (first in chain) before additional FX processing.
All right thanks for the explanation ! I'll give it a look on trial, this indeed could be very cool to "normalize" in real time any sound

• Information