Idea: Player for Modulation

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ambi

06 Sep 2023

Wouldn't it make sense to have a player device that contains several modulation sources like LFO's, amplitudes and maybe even a simple sequencer?
You could attach that player to any instrument so that the modulation source would automatically get triggered when you play the instrument?
What do you think?

Loque

06 Sep 2023

Can make sense to have the modulations synced.

Sadly, there is no auto-connect for the modulations, which is a bit weird in a Player...
Reason12, Win10

ambi

06 Sep 2023

Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2023
Exactly. I think for that purpose alone I would be interested in such a Rack Extension.
It would make things a lot faster and easier.

Take ShapeLFO as an example and make it a player. Would be very handy I think.

rmtcvolte

06 Sep 2023

ambi wrote:
06 Sep 2023
Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2023
Exactly. I think for that purpose alone I would be interested in such a Rack Extension.

Maybe something like this one?: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/map-64/

ambi

06 Sep 2023

rmtcvolte wrote:
06 Sep 2023
ambi wrote:
06 Sep 2023

Maybe something like this one?: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/map-64/
Partly, yes. As far as I remember Map64 can map certain notes to certain keys and add modulation. It's a great player in my opinion even though I always considered it to be a bit complicated to use and you are not able to remap all keys on your keyboard.
I'd rather like to have something like ShapeLFO that is triggered whenever I play a note. ShapeLFO is really powerful. It can be used as LFO, amplitude or sequencer and is super easy to work with.
I heard that Lectric Panda is now in the VST business but maybe he can make an exception? He could recycle most of the code from ShapeLFO.

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2023

As far as I can see the only advantage is a few less clicks setting things up, and maybe that’s enough of a difference?
Otherwise this would not offer anything new, right?
Selig Audio, LLC

ambi

06 Sep 2023

selig wrote:
06 Sep 2023
As far as I can see the only advantage is a few less clicks setting things up, and maybe that’s enough of a difference?
Otherwise this would not offer anything new, right?
Yes, you're right. It would make things easier, faster and maybe even a bit more ressource friendly.

huggermugger

06 Sep 2023

The internal design of a Player was only ever meant to transmit note and gate data. The signal path that travels 'invisibly' thru the Player stack can't carry CV, pitch bend, etc. Players such as Sequences can generate independent CV data, but they'll always have CV outputs on the back for that data.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 10.04.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 10.04.26 AM.png (436.34 KiB) Viewed 14492 times

huggermugger

06 Sep 2023

Sequences has a 1-Shot playback mode, so you can trigger it at will to play one time thru. It can function as a note/gate sequencer and/or two independent CV sequencers.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 10.15.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 10.15.09 AM.png (31.05 KiB) Viewed 14492 times

ambi

06 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote:
06 Sep 2023
Sequences has a 1-Shot playback mode, so you can trigger it at will to play one time thru. It can function as a note/gate sequencer and/or two independent CV sequencers.
That's some useful advice. The method that I usually used requires a Combinator.

ambi

06 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote:
06 Sep 2023
The internal design of a Player was only ever meant to transmit note and gate data. The signal path that travels 'invisibly' thru the Player stack can't carry CV, pitch bend, etc. Players such as Sequences can generate independent CV data, but they'll always have CV outputs on the back for that data.
I'm aware of that. A player device how I described it would of course need CV outputs.

huggermugger

06 Sep 2023

ambi wrote:
06 Sep 2023
huggermugger wrote:
06 Sep 2023
I'm aware of that. A player device how I described it would of course need CV outputs.
Then what would be the point of making a Player?

joeyluck

06 Sep 2023

I actually think modulation sources built into the Combinator would be great. Similar to working in something like Snap Heap / Multipass. Then you could just throw a device into the Combinator and be able to assign modulation without adding additional devices or routing CV.

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote:
06 Sep 2023
ambi wrote:
06 Sep 2023

Then what would be the point of making a Player?
The only difference I can think of is if it's an RE you'd need to put it in a Combinator with the instrument to allow the same functionality as a Player device. I wouldn't find that to be all that different workflow wise, and in most cases I'd probably already be using a Combinator for a project that's going to use CV modulation.

Because, if you just want key synced modulation on a single instrument, they all already got you pretty much covered. The primary advantage of a separate device would be for more complex setups. The type you'd likely be building inside a Combinator in the first place! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Dionisio

06 Sep 2023

Hi ambi

Maybe Delta MIDI Computer is what you need. Is a player device with 4 CV inputs...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -computer/

SebAudio

09 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
06 Sep 2023
I actually think modulation sources built into the Combinator would be great. Similar to working in something like Snap Heap / Multipass. Then you could just throw a device into the Combinator and be able to assign modulation without adding additional devices or routing CV.
I totally agree. Perhaps Combi v3 ? I mean, never we’ll see it !

ambi

19 Sep 2023

After thinking more about it I came to the conclusion that you guys are right and a modulator in form of a player is not really needed.
Dionisio wrote:
06 Sep 2023
Hi ambi

Maybe Delta MIDI Computer is what you need. Is a player device with 4 CV inputs...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -computer/
Hi Dionisio. I was more looking for a RE that has many forms of modulation integrated and a lot of CV outs.

antic604

25 Sep 2023

It doesn't have to be a Player per se, but some version of new Pulsar would be great! Basically separate the modulation section out of Grain/Europa/Algo + add audio env. follower from that filtering FX that was added in 11 (I always forget the name :) ).

I really find it wasteful to load full synth to just use LFO or the MSEG.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

w1pl0c

25 Sep 2023

I want patterns for fancy envelopes and all the sync options and envelope follower or cv in as an option. AND I want it to visually monitor incoming cv

BHK INSTRUMENTS
RE Developer

09 Oct 2023

Take a look at our Parafilter sequencer RE; it has the functions you're suggesting for a player. It also has enough CV outs to create playable automation for parameters of other instruments and effects.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equencer2/

challism

09 Oct 2023

It's not a player, but this device might work for you... Enlightenspeed LaunchEon
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... launcheon/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mimidancer

20 Oct 2023

Reason's modular nature does not require the modulation source to be inside of a player. One can pick a module source and trigger it with many different rack extensions. One can stack players and rack extensions to do almost anything in reason. The cords may be on the back of the rack but Reason is one of the most powerful virtual modular systems made. Sometimes I think people forget to download utilities. You need them to make everything work harmoniously.

• Information