Request to tonicmint - octave consolidator player RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Ok so as you all might have also noticed, that the randomize function in a lot of Players generates notes in different octaves. Which may be useful sometimes, but a lot of times like triggering a drum machine for example or a bass Synth it's not really what you'd want.

So I'm asking the Dev's to make a player RE which consolidates the incoming notes into one octave.
It has an octave select button, suppose you select octave 1.
The if the RE receives, let's say C-2 note, it transposes it to C1, if it receives F#4, it transposes it to F#1 etc.
If there are two incoming C notes on different octaves, then the RE could have an algorithm to determine which note to use and which to discard.
Perhaps it chooses the note closest to the specified octave and filters out the same notes on other octaves.
And then as usual it passes on the notes to the below player.

I'm requesting this to tonicmint, because he generally builds note filter, note negate type of REs,
If anyone else would like to build this it would be great.
👍
(Hope the idea makes sense)

Vil
RE Developer

04 Dec 2022

Not a bad idea.
I hope, you can find a workaround with AB Transpose and InRange (or with other multiple players) for this, until me or someone else implement this.
I dont want to promising, but worth to thinking on it.

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2022

DELTA MIDI Computer could do this
- Certified Reason expert

Vil
RE Developer

04 Dec 2022

Ahh, yes, good point. Delta really powerful!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2022

Vil wrote:
04 Dec 2022
Ahh, yes, good point. Delta really powerful!
S’what I thought too but I couldn’t remember the name of it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Thanks tonicmint.

Please do create this RE.
Btw just bought note filter.
Would be nice if you could add fit notes outside range to range function in it.
I'll save some money if you do, probably for your other cv devices.
Bought a lot of your stuff.

😀

selig
RE Developer

04 Dec 2022

You may also be able to do this with Thor as well (of course, Thor again). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Thor ?
Care to elaborate?
Or maybe upload an example patch if you have the time...

dvdrtldg

04 Dec 2022

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this exactly what InRange was designed to do?

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2022

haha the CNU/CNL function of InRange. so simple

visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Oh ok !
I didn't know!
But i just bought note filter thinking i could try to use it for that purpose...oh well, nevermind,
Will buy the in range thingie later.

challism

04 Dec 2022

Something I would love to see added to InRange would be a operation mode that transposes notes from outside of the green area(s) BY OCTAVE, so they will keep their original note letter value but have the octave fit inside the desired range. To me, that is the only operation mode that is missing from an otherwise excellent player tool. I would use InRange for this all the time (would be an excellent update). One reason we might not ever see this update is because it would force InRange into the newest RE SDK thus making the InRange unavailable for Reason users of older version to be able to buy (or use if they hadn't already bought it). Kind of a shortcoming of the SDK and the shop.

For now, Delta is your best best. Attached is a patch built by Marcos himself. I know it was on his list to add this patch to Delta's FSB in the last update. I'm not seeing it in there, though. Maybe I'm just missing it, maybe Marcos forgot. Anyway, here's the patch:
Force-Range-C3-to-C4.zip
(940 Bytes) Downloaded 27 times
And this is what it looks like.
delta.jpg
delta.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2022

but challism thats what CNU/CNL function of InRange does, if the Range is >C3 and the incoming note a C#2 then the outgoing note is C#3 etc

huggermugger

05 Dec 2022

TonicMint InRange will do it. It can transpose notes outside a certain range up or down by octave to put them in range. It can do other things too. Very handy.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/inrange/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 7.27.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 7.27.35 AM.png (160.01 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 05 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.

huggermugger

05 Dec 2022

challism wrote:
04 Dec 2022
Something I would love to see added to InRange would be a operation mode that transposes notes from outside of the green area(s) BY OCTAVE, so they will keep their original note letter value but have the octave fit inside the desired range.
InRange does this already. But it's expensive for such a singular purpose. Delta is a much better deal!

ljekio

05 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
04 Dec 2022
You may also be able to do this with Thor as well (of course, Thor again). :)
Dunno about Thor but RPG-8 solution is there
viewtopic.php?p=393945#p393945

(and i have little tweak of it with switches 1-2 octaves and shift -3 +3 octaves)

Vil
RE Developer

05 Dec 2022

It seems, I was sleepy yesterday. ;)
But what a great community! ;)

This is why good to be here.. ;)

challism

05 Dec 2022

EDIT: I guess I never realized what CNL mode was doing. Thanks Huggermugger and Bes. :)
huggermugger wrote:
05 Dec 2022
InRange does this already. But it's expensive for such a singular purpose. Delta is a much better deal!
How does it do this? I would love for it to shift by octave into the range, but I don't see that feature/operation mode. Please explain how I can make InRange do this.

huggermugger

05 Dec 2022

challism wrote:
05 Dec 2022
huggermugger wrote:
05 Dec 2022

How does it do this? I would love for it to shift by octave into the range, but I don't see that feature/operation mode. Please explain how I can make InRange do this.

These are the operation modes. I see nothing about octaves.
Screenshot 2022-12-06 050831.jpg
CNU and CNL. They take any note outside the range and drop or raise it by octaves until it gets into range. Here's a demo.

challism

05 Dec 2022

Thanks for that. I dont know how I didn't see this before. Probably because I'm too busy acquiring new devices before I fully learn how to use the devices I already have! ha ha ha

Is there any way for it to shift by octave AND also to the nearest neighbor (if one of the notes is outside of the scale)? I think this is where I got my initial confusion about InRange not shifting by octave.

selig
RE Developer

05 Dec 2022

visheshl wrote:
04 Dec 2022
Thor ?
Care to elaborate?
Using the “Voice Key/Note 2 (octave range)” source and send to CV output. You’ll have to do a few other things like set Thor to mono mode, and scale the CV output for note so it lines up correctly (I did this earlier and forgot to save it). I can provide a file tomorrow if anyone is still interested.
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

06 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
05 Dec 2022
visheshl wrote:
04 Dec 2022
Thor ?
Care to elaborate?
Using the “Voice Key/Note 2 (octave range)” source and send to CV output. You’ll have to do a few other things like set Thor to mono mode, and scale the CV output for note so it lines up correctly (I did this earlier and forgot to save it). I can provide a file tomorrow if anyone is still interested.
Im interested, because i could never solve the zero problem.
the voice output in the thor is bipolar and the main difficulty is that zero (note off) will also be a note (C -2)

Stygian Abyss

06 Dec 2022

ljekio wrote:
06 Dec 2022
Im interested, because i could never solve the zero problem.
the voice output in the thor is bipolar and the main difficulty is that zero (note off) will also be a note (C -2)
You cannot solve this problem because it doesn't exist. The zero (Note off) you're writing about is a velocity CV value and not a note CV value.
But what you actually have to do is to convert the bipolar pitch modulation value from Thor (Also used in Neptune) into the general unipolar note CV value used by all Reason instruments.
I can't find the correct formula right now, but you just need to scale and offset the output of Thor with correct values.

ljekio

06 Dec 2022

Simple UNI transformation in BI will give the middle of the range, which turns on when not a single key is pressed.
It will be an extra and unwanted note

• Information