Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ebeneezer

29 Jun 2022

This is obviously something the developers must have considered, but something that seems to be missing for me is any use of inversions. I can guess why, because if you started adding inverted chords into the "connect 4" grid then that would leave less space for other suggestions. But maybe it could work so that if you drag your chords into the sequencer window then there's a button in that which lets you test out different inversions of your chosen chords? I can see the"edit" button which you could use but it's quite a hassle to test out inversions that way.

fceramic

29 Jun 2022

No inversion and no strumming, and they charge 74 €! Reason Studios really are in their own little bubble these days.

Rising Night Wave

29 Jun 2022

few moments ago i installed that chord player and it is quite interesting and useful thing.
nice phylosophy around how you make a playing notes - it predicts via colours what chord is best for next one.
nicely done Reason Studios. thumbs up.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jun 2022

Wait, no inversions? But I will assume the suggested chords will be in the appropriate inversion already right? Can't imagine every chord being in root position 😂 nah, they must be already voiced appropriately and from there you can alter it to suit your fancy. I'll check it out when I have time to test this 😀

Tweak

29 Jun 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Wait, no inversions? But I will assume the suggested chords will be in the appropriate inversion already right? Can't imagine every chord being in root position 😂 nah, they must be already voiced appropriately and from there you can alter it to suit your fancy. I'll check it out when I have time to test this 😀
This'll be important for sure, otherwise they'll be loads of manual adjustments needed.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Jun 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Correct, the chords were chosen and played by musicians and are in voiced in a way that suits the chord set. Of course you can edit the notes in a chord or play a new one, too.

It's best to not think of Chord Sequencer as one of those "music theory libraries" that gives you all possible chords in all keys in their most logical voicing plus their inversions. It's quite far from that and there are many other products that give you the keys to the college course on harmony so to speak. Chord Sequencer is more about curated chord sets for moods and genres that includes both theoretically "expected" chords and more bold choices, including how they're played, so the music maker can try and listen for something they like.

Aosta

29 Jun 2022

Tend the flame

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2022

Still in Scotland. Pishing down with rain outside. New player in the Rewards section. On sale. €50 rewards voucher. Bang!!! €4. New player. Home tomorrow. Magic.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Kilsane

29 Jun 2022

Some chords for Latin music styles (Salsa, Rumba, Samba, Bossa nova, Merengue ...) would be welcome and why not many other styles

Overtherainbow

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
including how they're played, so the music maker can try and listen for something they like.
Mattias, the RE is great, I'd say the best since Scales and Chords, but it immediately brought two questions to mind:

1. can we expect the timing/strumming feature in the F8 tool window?

2. the more cheeky one - is there a possibility of a chords/bass generator bundle? :D

selig
RE Developer

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
1. No, it's designed for exploration and listening so there's no randomize functions. You can of course slap on some kind of random Player before hand to randomly select chords, but with chords it's often less pleasing. That's why we have the color coding, you often want a way back to the home key for example.
IMO randomize functions (as I had also hoped for on this device) are EXACTLY for exploration and listening.
It was the color coding I had hoped would be able to be exploited so you would have control over the randomization amount that would have made this device unique, being able to choose to lean more towards the ‘green’ or more towards the ‘black’ choices!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

29 Jun 2022

Looks amazing. Ryan video is excellent as always.

Really looking forward to using this, great job.

EDIT: am now playing with this thing (advantages of Reason on work laptop and a quiet day at work :-) ) and it's pretty damn awesome. If you have Reason+ check out the new sound pack that's just dropped. So good for sparking ideas.

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Correct, the chords were chosen and played by musicians and are in voiced in a way that suits the chord set. Of course you can edit the notes in a chord or play a new one, too.

It's best to not think of Chord Sequencer as one of those "music theory libraries" that gives you all possible chords in all keys in their most logical voicing plus their inversions. It's quite far from that and there are many other products that give you the keys to the college course on harmony so to speak. Chord Sequencer is more about curated chord sets for moods and genres that includes both theoretically "expected" chords and more bold choices, including how they're played, so the music maker can try and listen for something they like.
Thanks for confirming. Flott!

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Jun 2022

A delightful Player device!

Especially for me, as it covers the stuff that Agnostik won't be doing once I get around to finishing it :D :D :D

In all seriousness though, this is a really well designed and fun to use plugin, hats off to RS!

jam-s

29 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Still in Scotland. Pishing down with rain outside. New player in the Rewards section. On sale. €50 rewards voucher. Bang!!! €4. New player. Home tomorrow. Magic.
Same. ;)
(not the Scotland part, but the rewards story.)

challism

29 Jun 2022

Here are a few chord sets I think they missed.
chord sets.png
chord sets.png (358.88 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

29 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
29 Jun 2022

chord sets.png
Sorry but it’s the country songs that use three chords (and the truth…) ;)
(Google Harlan Howard quotes)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ottostrom

29 Jun 2022

Kilsane wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Some chords for Latin music styles (Salsa, Rumba, Samba, Bossa nova, Merengue ...) would be welcome and why not many other styles
Feels like it would be pretty easy to expand on the chordsets for future updates (like they did with the maps for beatmap) so lets hope they do that :)

Very interested in this device overall as I really agree with the design decisions behind it

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Wow, so even Dylan does a little sampling here and there then :D

MuttReason

29 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
29 Jun 2022
challism wrote:
29 Jun 2022

chord sets.png
Yes, and it's missing a Status Quo chord set too. Very disappointed :D

Reminds me of the old joke about the difference between a rock gig and a jazz gig.

A jazz gig is playing hundreds of chords in front of three people, and a rock gig is playing three chords in front of hundreds of people.

I started off as a jazz musician and can confirm this joke is founded on a deep and universal truth. I've played big band gigs where we massively outnumbered the audience, and I've played in horn sections in R&B bands where every song was a 12-bar blues but we managed to fill 5,000 seat theatres every night...

Anyway, new Player is just fantastic, am well into it now and it has so many uses. Great job RS team.

mjxl

29 Jun 2022

Can't go wrong with 4 euro's price tag (50,- discount!). I bought it

Chi-Individual

29 Jun 2022

I've only played the Jazz & Fusion set of chords and I already LOVE this player. I wish I understood theory better cause I'm finding it interesting how you can go to a bright green chord in the progression and the previous chord becomes black. I know it makes sense but I thought the previous chord would've stayed bright green. This will def be a good learning tool for me. BRAVO REASON STUDIOS :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

moalla

29 Jun 2022

Bought it instantly with my rewards for 4€, this reward discount are big gesture from Reasonstudios thanks :D
So I really hope and I can only repeat please Robotic Bean update Sequences with unquantized rec option than apart from missing comping for saving files and the promised R12 features Reason becomes mor and more the best live tool at all :clap:

Really amazing big tool for the 3rd decade of Propellerheads Reason, HAMMMER BESTE no scaller needed at all i would say, first seconds i played with it
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

So I've watched the video
I've read the blog
Studied the manual

All that's left is to actually trial the device, but I see a few are already owners so I thought that it might be worth asking here first.

When creating your own chord set
  • Can you name them and put them in a custom style categorie?
  • Does chord sequencer process the set and colour it automatically?
  • Is it possible to add a single chord and automatically populate the other 15?
My next question is when will dual arp be updated to allow for 5+ notes to work (I've always wanted full spread access arp1+arp2 8 notes ) and pattern selection like the newer devices have ;)

chimp_spanner

29 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022
So I've watched the video
I've read the blog
Studied the manual

All that's left is to actually trial the device, but I see a few are already owners so I thought that it might be worth asking here first.

When creating your own chord set
  • Can you name them and put them in a custom style categorie?
  • Does chord sequencer process the set and colour it automatically?
  • Is it possible to add a single chord and automatically populate the other 15?
My next question is when will dual arp be updated to allow for 5+ notes to work (I've always wanted full spread access arp1+arp2 8 notes ) and pattern selection like the newer devices have ;)
1) No. You basically have one blank/user area called Empty (I know, kinda weird) and if you put your own chords in there, you can save a patch for the whole device and recall it later. But you would have to build your own library of chord styles outside of the device itself, with one chord set per-preset.
2) I haven't tested this extensively but from what I can tell, chord suitability is worked out even on custom chords (I think it works best when you also specify the root note of the chord while editing).
3) No
4) Yeah this is the main reason I use Kompulsion instead of Dual Arp.

• Information