Rumble Klank Singing Bowls Generator by Oenkenstein Audio released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Oenkenstein
RE Developer

08 Oct 2021

I just released a new Rack Extension called 'Klank'.
003ReasontalkKlankFrontPanel.jpg
003ReasontalkKlankFrontPanel.jpg (144.31 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Klank is a Singing Bowls Generator.

This Rack Extension has recordings of four different singing bowls, a metal lid and a glass stored in a sample bank. It has a ten channel mixer with controls for level, release, panning, tuning and fine tuning.

The singing bowls ranges from big to small in size. Two big bowls produce the lowest frequency and the little bowl together with the glass the highest frequency.

The sound of a singing bowl can be divided in stages: The attack phase where the bowl gets hit with different sticks at various velocity levels, the sustain phase and the resonance phase where the bowl is rubbed and finally muted with the hand. Klank Singing Bowls Generator has recordings of different stages of two big bowls, one middle bowl, one little bowl, one metal lid and a glass and are assigned in sections to independent mixer channels.

Klank Singing Bowls Generator comes with 31 patches, made for sessions with different settings of the bowls, like level and tuning.

Specifications:
- 10 stereo channel mixer with faders.
- Controls for level, release, panning, tuning and fine tuning.
- Convolution reverb with 6 modes.
- 30 CV input sockets for level, panning and tuning.
- 30 CV trough sockets.
- 2 CV input sockets for gate and note.
- 2 CV output sockets for velocity and key.
- 1 stereo channel master level output socket.

Minimum Requirements:
- Reason 10 or higher.

You can download Klank from:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ble-klank/

Hope you like it,

/Ed Gool
Oenkenstein Audio
Last edited by Oenkenstein on 13 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Bes
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2021

i think i'm going to really like this one :)
- Certified Reason expert

Steedus
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2021

Interesting device. Would be good for drones. The audio samples sound great.

littlejam

08 Oct 2021

hello,

congrats on the new release
i am interested, but i don't trial REs
(due to headaches of licensing and sync all issues)

i would like to know / hear examples of these instruments with the release(s) turned down
so it plays more like percussion instead of drones
especially because the RE is on sale now

also, if the 'tune' and 'fine tune' values are displayed to get everything cohesive
(the values are displayed i'm pretty sure (just double checking))

when co-teaching high school mindfulness class, we had a real bowl that a student would resonate while the class meditated

reading through the manual, it is neat that pictures of the actual bowls / lid / glass are shown
chef's kiss

future update: be able to load IRs would be a greatgreat addition

have a blessed day and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Ironaak

09 Oct 2021

If you like the sound of singing bowls have a look at this project https://longplayer.org/ It's only been playing for 20 years!

Such atmospheric sounds, thanks for this :thumbup:

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

09 Oct 2021

littlejam wrote:
08 Oct 2021
i would like to know / hear examples of these instruments with the release(s) turned down
so it plays more like percussion instead of drones
especially because the RE is on sale now
Updated the demo songs playlist on Soundcloud with a demo with a more 'plucky' sound.
The demo has a short release setting on the first big bowl from the Short Gathering patch.

https://soundcloud.com/oenkenstein/006- ... rt-release
or
http://www.oenkenstein.nl/uploadmap/sou ... elease.mp3
littlejam wrote:
08 Oct 2021
also, if the 'tune' and 'fine tune' values are displayed to get everything cohesive
(the values are displayed i'm pretty sure (just double checking))
The tune is in semitones ranging from -3 octaves to +3 octaves and the fine tune goes from -50 to +50 cents.
You can tune the bowls to each others pitch and use a spectrum analyser to see if two or more bowls match in tuning, but doing it by ear is more fun.
littlejam wrote:
08 Oct 2021
when co-teaching high school mindfulness class, we had a real bowl that a student would resonate while the class meditated
A collegue came to work after she visited a singing bowls session and she was so relaxed.
And that is how the idea started to make this singing bowls rack extension.
littlejam wrote:
08 Oct 2021
future update: be able to load IRs would be a greatgreat addition
The IR's in the convolution reverb are chosen to 'spread' the bowls and give them a 'far away distance' feeling.
There is no plan of updating the convolution reverb.
You can bypass the reverb and put a RV7000 with an impulse of your liking as an effect in the signal chain.

Thank you so much, thumbs up!
Last edited by Oenkenstein on 09 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

09 Oct 2021

Ironaak wrote:
09 Oct 2021
If you like the sound of singing bowls have a look at this project https://longplayer.org/ It's only been playing for 20 years!

Such atmospheric sounds, thanks for this :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing. 20 years.. that is insane. You might be also interested in an online Singing Bowls • Relaxing Meditation Soundscape Generator on myNoise.net:
https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/singi ... erator.php

Steedus
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2021

Hey Oenkenstein, I'm demoing it now. I have a slight nit-pick .. :puf_wink: the Pre and Decay knobs for the reverb look stretched out slightly, like oval shaped instead of circular.

Also feature suggestion: It would be nice if we could independently select different big bowls per Hit/Rub/Drone articulation. ie: have the Hit sound from the left bowl, but the Rub and drone sound from the right bowl.

But otherwise, the sounds in this are really rich. I've had nothing to do with singing bowls before, but I can see this kind of drone/scraping sound being a nice texture to add to songs. Nice work! :thumbup:

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

09 Oct 2021

Steedus wrote:
09 Oct 2021
Hey Oenkenstein, I'm demoing it now. I have a slight nit-pick .. :puf_wink: the Pre and Decay knobs for the reverb look stretched out slightly, like oval shaped instead of circular.

Also feature suggestion: It would be nice if we could independently select different big bowls per Hit/Rub/Drone articulation. ie: have the Hit sound from the left bowl, but the Rub and drone sound from the right bowl.

But otherwise, the sounds in this are really rich. I've had nothing to do with singing bowls before, but I can see this kind of drone/scraping sound being a nice texture to add to songs. Nice work! :thumbup:
Wow, the two reverb knobs are indeed out of proportion. I wil repair the issue and see if I can publish an update soon. I like you suggestion, but it will not be implemented in the update.

Thanks for kind words.

littlejam

12 Oct 2021

hello,

i just picked up rumble klank
very soothing and smooth sounds

also thank you for posting the other sound demos with the release turned down

it'll be neat to hook up klank to one of the generative sounds REs

thank you for a wonderful RE

have a blessed day and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

13 Oct 2021

I just released an update. Rumble Klank Singing Bowls Generator Rack Extension version 1.4.6. The update is free for current license holders.

The almost chicken egg shaped controls on the convolution reverb and an error in the header on the front panel have been fixed.

Cheers!

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2021

Good stuff. Thanks.

Bought! I had no idea I needed singing bowls :-)

challism

14 Oct 2021

The Klank Song Challenge has begun: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7525231&p=580184#p580184
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information