New "Processed Pianos" RE from PH

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

You have one Processed Pianos in ID8, I think. And I only find 4 or 5 of the Pianos/mic combinations from the refill useful. And I like those for cutting through the mix type pop piano. But to pay the asking price for just maybe 3 new mic positions/sounds is a bit steep.
If you want a cost effective great grand concert piano, take a look (or listen) at XLN Audio.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

QVprod

26 Jul 2019

mcatalao wrote:
25 Jul 2019
Finally someone that thinks the same as me. Radical piano is to me the piano that could have been. It could be great, the features are great, and yet, the sound is crap.

Reason Pianos is great compared to it.

Still... I've recently been exploring the wonders of Soundfonts and the plethora of SFz files around. If you remember that NN-XT loads soundfonts, check out the salamander pianos.

I created a patch with a blend of a yamaha c5 salamander with a muffled Radikal piano for mechanics. And it sounds absolutely wonderful! For 0 bucks! Eye opening tbh... The only thing missing is string ressonance...
Yeah the Salamander grand is fantastic for a free piano. Especially if that particular mic position they recorded works for you. I tried similar with layering the Reason Pianos refill with Radical for the mechanicals and it does make a difference. Main issue with using the salamander grand with Reason is the way the NNXT handles large samples sets annoys me. I'm spoiled by quick loading times with disk streaming. Then again though, I didn't have an SSD when I tried it out back then either though. Nowadays I tend to gravitate more to Piano VIs I can tweak settings on.
antic604 wrote:
25 Jul 2019
Well, he said "The RE are better than Radical piano as far as real sounding pianos go" which should be obvious - Radical Piano is for ...radical sounds. If you look for a clean, concert piano you should look elsewhere. You're not buying "Psytrance Leads" sound pack to write meditative music only because it has "leads" in its name, right? ;)
That's the thing though. It makes sense to think of it that way but there are many people who think it sounds amazing as a natural piano. And I mean quite a few debates since the PUF, and they continued here. Now I personally wonder if those people who think it's a great natural piano have been around bad condition pianos their whole lives, but that's their opinion nonetheless. . Propellerhead even once marketed it as natural sounding though they don't seem to now. https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... ical-piano.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

QVprod wrote:
26 Jul 2019
(...)
Propellerhead even once marketed it as natural sounding though they don't seem to now. https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... ical-piano.
Didn't remember that. Imho, the base piano sound of that thing sounds as a toy. And you have to process the hell out of it for make it pass by.

And my question is this... A device that has so much exquisite controls (i mean what makes this piano radical is the amount of stuff you can control, but related to the instrument piano). So telling me it was created for radical sounds, and the what you change is particular stuff, like resonance, mechanics, and stuff that gets muffled inside a mix... Doesn't add up.

BTW, i don't see a reason to use Radical with RPi for mechanics. They're already there within the Refill. You cannot control it as you would with RP, but it's there. Without fiddling you can't exaggerate them as in Processed Pianos or Radical would but even today i think you can do more than in Processed Pianos and Radical Pianos.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

QVprod wrote:
26 Jul 2019

Yeah the Salamander grand is fantastic for a free piano. Especially if that particular mic position they recorded works for you. I tried similar with layering the Reason Pianos refill with Radical for the mechanicals and it does make a difference. Main issue with using the salamander grand with Reason is the way the NNXT handles large samples sets annoys me.
The salamander loads a bit slower than the Re, and you can't do anything about that because nn-xt still doesn't work with hdd streaming. But it's just a bit, considering the salamander is a 6 zone piano (i think the bigger one sampled all notes). I guess having a SSD for sounds and projects helps a lot.

But it's such a rich sounding piano. Something i always felt about the Reason Pianos Refill is that the pianos are all a bit muffled in the highs (ironically Radical is as muffled)... and the salamander has such rich higher octaves! Really nice. And the stereo image is huge.

Ok, enough derailing the thread tot he salamanders.
I hope these products have good results, and ideally Propellerheads considers the critiques as constructive and an opportunity to make things better, or create a piano product more natural sounding.

gregmarksimpson

26 Feb 2020

Just noticed that Reason Studios have published an update for Processed Pianos today:

Version 1.0.1 - Bug fix pops & clicks

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 May 2021

Steedus wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Brilliant use of rack space with this one :puf_wink:
I just happened to be using this today, as I've grown to quite like it as something different including the sexy black UI, and I've only just noticed the UI graphics were done by Ekss :D Never realised before.

epoch

23 May 2021

Steedus wrote:
21 May 2021
Steedus wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Brilliant use of rack space with this one :puf_wink:
I just happened to be using this today, as I've grown to quite like it as something different including the sexy black UI, and I've only just noticed the UI graphics were done by Ekss :D Never realised before.
I'm wondering if this device is how Robotic Bean and Erik Soderberg first start collaborating, as Erik also did the GFX for Sequences and Euclidean. Maybe he did those first actually, not sure of the chronology...

buddard
RE Developer

23 May 2021

epoch wrote:
23 May 2021
Steedus wrote:
21 May 2021

I'm wondering if this device is how Robotic Bean and Erik Soderberg first start collaborating, as Erik also did the GFX for Sequences and Euclidean. Maybe he did those first actually, not sure of the chronology...
We first started working together on Resonans and ES01 in 2016/2017. Since then, Erik has been a permanent member of the RB crew. :D

So we had already worked together for over 2 years before we helped PH with Processed Pianos in the spring/early summer of 2019.

epoch

23 May 2021

buddard wrote:
23 May 2021
epoch wrote:
23 May 2021

We first started working together on Resonans and ES01 in 2016/2017. Since then, Erik has been a permanent member of the RB crew. :D

So we had already worked together for over 2 years before we helped PH with Processed Pianos in the spring/early summer of 2019.
Good to know; keep up the great work!

Happy-Musician

29 May 2021

I bought this back when it was a refill. In fact I bought it just before it became a rack extension. Still feeling cheated that this didn’t count as an update for existing customers. Is there any difference to the refill? Or is it just the same as a rack extension with better ui?

• Information