I really wish I knew what it was I was doing

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

22 May 2020

This is why I'm not completely sold on Players. I keep trying with them, because I like to tinker & experiment, but the results nearly always end up in the "frilly tinkly decorative background stuff" part of the mix. Which can be nice, but then I can always get that with PSQ 1684 - and have a much clearer idea of what I'm doing. There's too much happening under the hood with Players. I quite like Beatmap, and Evolution is really good. But none of the others have really done it for me

Here's how I set up Matrix to use with Players:

* Stick instrument in Combinator

* Create Matrix under instrument, hit Randomize Pattern, attach Gate output to Gate input in Combi

* Create the following under Matrix: Spider CV splitter/merger > Janitor CV shaper > Ochen K CV Tuner (CV Tuner isn't really necessary if you're going to use Scales & Chords, but I usually have it in there anyway)

* Flip rack, route the Note CV out of Matrix into the far left Spider CV merger input. Reduce the trim knob to about 15 or 20, this reduces the range of note values

* Note CV then from Spider into Janitor, then Janitor into CV Tuner, then CV Tuner into instrument Combi. Hit Play

* Mess around with Janitor's Scale and Offset knobs, adjust CV Merger trim to further adjust note range, keep hitting Randomize Pattern in Matrix

DougalDarkly

22 May 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 May 2020
Here's how I set up Matrix to use with Players:

* Stick instrument in Combinator

* Create Matrix under instrument, hit Randomize Pattern, attach Gate output to Gate input in Combi

* Create the following under Matrix: Spider CV splitter/merger > Janitor CV shaper > Ochen K CV Tuner (CV Tuner isn't really necessary if you're going to use Scales & Chords, but I usually have it in there anyway)

* Flip rack, route the Note CV out of Matrix into the far left Spider CV merger input. Reduce the trim knob to about 15 or 20, this reduces the range of note values

* Note CV then from Spider into Janitor, then Janitor into CV Tuner, then CV Tuner into instrument Combi. Hit Play

* Mess around with Janitor's Scale and Offset knobs, adjust CV Merger trim to further adjust note range, keep hitting Randomize Pattern in Matrix
I do a very similar thing, except I've taken to using THOR's sequencer instead of a Matrix - I really like the independent control (and randomisation!) of notes, gate-lengths and velocities.

challism

22 May 2020

@dvdrtldg - the idea that PSQ is easier or more simple than Players made me chuckle. Many seasoned users still haven't been able to successfully tame that complicated beast of a device. My hat's off to you. And I love the setup you described.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dvdrtldg

22 May 2020

challism wrote:
22 May 2020
@dvdrtldg - the idea that PSQ is easier or more simple than Players made me chuckle. Many seasoned users still haven't been able to successfully tame that complicated beast of a device. My hat's off to you. And I love the setup you described.
Believe me I'm far from being a PSQ1684 ninja :lol:

The Hydlide video series got me up & running with it, since then it's been a slow learning curve. But I like having at least the option of trying to figure out what's going on. Can't do that with Players. I guess I wouldn't mind if the results were pleasing, but mostly I find them very stiff & robotic (again, Evolution being the exception). I with there were more video tutorials - I'm quite prepared to believe the fault lies with me & my imagination

dvdrtldg

22 May 2020

DougalDarkly wrote:
22 May 2020
I do a very similar thing, except I've taken to using THOR's sequencer instead of a Matrix - I really like the independent control (and randomisation!) of notes, gate-lengths and velocities.
Nice! will give this a try

ravisoni

23 May 2020

demt wrote:
22 May 2020
organized kaos allways im actually adding sum structure to my music ive blown my own brain i need DIMNESS there again the yin and the yang symble has started to spin anything could happen including boring me to death with a missing audience , did i tell you the won about being the front man for 350,000 coders etc etc etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
One day, demt... one day I will have you all figured out amidst all this Ordus and Chaor.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

demt

23 May 2020

motuscott wrote:
22 May 2020
demt wrote:
22 May 2020
did i tell you the won about being the front man for 350,000 coders etc etc etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
No you didn't, Luv
basically back in the day when php coders could take down anysite in the world i appeared on their design forum with a retro website that blew there minds and lived on the qudos for the next 2 years preaching words of wisdom regs the better security changing their way of life and why submission is the only way forward unless youve got a mate on the phone by a server in russia witch quite a few had .
lively debates ensued and my work was seen by thousands and thousands of very middle class eclectic designers and coders.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

motuscott

23 May 2020

A veritable king among men.

Then I woke up.
😀
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

teddymcw

23 May 2020

Just want to chime that I love what this thread turned into! Not even Vtts could get in it's way.

Also, for me Evolution is the one that it's gonna take some real rtfm and maybe breaking out the wall abacus to figure out "how to make stupid beats" with bruv
Last edited by teddymcw on 23 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

motuscott

23 May 2020

That's not what yer mama said...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information