Do you still buy REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

If so what were you last 3 RE purchases?

Even though new REs are still being released I feel like many of them don't get as much attention as they used to. Maybe a lot of people has moved on to VSTs and there's simply a lot more competition? Or perhaps some people have everything they need already?

moneykube

06 Apr 2020

all the time... perhaps too often lol ... my last 5
Spectra Additive Resynthesizer 1.0.2
B.I,T
scenic Hybrid instr
Matchlock
Torsion Texture Lab

was hopping for the 50 percent off voucher for new Maia ... Spectra was slightly cheaper then maia intro price and seemed more my thing, so went with that. :puf_wink: Although... since I own maia and luna and a voucher magically appeared... I would get the new maia as well. :lightbulb:
Last edited by moneykube on 06 Apr 2020, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

antic604

06 Apr 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Apr 2020

Even though new REs are still being released I feel like many of them don't get as much attention as they used to. Maybe a lot of people has moved on to VSTs and there's simply a lot more competition? Or perhaps some people have everything they need already?
I think I already have all (or majority, at least) of instruments & FX I wanted, so now I'm buying Players - the last 4 devices I got were:
Phrase - https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/
QNG - https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/
Sequences - https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequences/
Euclidean Rhythms - https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n-rhythms/

Considering Bitwig is my main DAW, I couldn't be more happy with those purchases when MIDI out was announced :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

xboix

06 Apr 2020

I think the market is saturated and it's hard to get excited about another new synth or effect, because chances are you already have several similar things. I buy an occasional VST and that's about it. Anyone who has owned Reason for a few versions has probably been tempted to buy one of more of the rigs or bundles so getting them to spend more money on single REs is harder I think. I like players but even they are getting a bit samey.

I never used to trial anything but now, whenever I'm tempted to buy, I hit the trial button and then am underwhelmed at the thing I'm trialling (most recently Scalematrix and Autotheory).

In summary, I have more stuff than I am ever going to understand so I don't need any more. That doesn't stop me looking though!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

My last 3 RE purchases:

F-16 Analog Filter
VK-1 Viking Synthesizer
Delta MIDI Computer

Yonatan

06 Apr 2020

My interest seem to lately be pointed towards Players RE, so yes I do still buy but not at full price.

Kalm

06 Apr 2020

if a new one comes out that's useful with a decent GUI and allows me to avoid using the VST version. Like the Blamsoft Pultec's
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Jmax

06 Apr 2020

AutoLatch - Static Cling. It was like 9 bucks, I may or may not ever use it. But I like what the developer puts out.

Mixfood Drum Player - Note sure why I bought this to be honest, I mean seemed cool at the time but it's kinda of hard to get notes to track and there's a million things going on. Again it was very cheap.

Sequences - Paying monthly. I'm quite happy with this, and I find it's nice to get a little melody happening. I love the def as well. So money well spent in my opinion.

But hey I'll be spending $460 on a racing wheel and pedals soon, so no biggie.

gullum

06 Apr 2020

No but yes. I don't need more RE's but there is occasionally that RE I think I need like Kuassa everytime :D but I have not bought 1 VST yet.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

Yep. Last two were the last two Kuassa fx. Just can’t go wrong.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

06 Apr 2020

I used to buy REs all the time and at one point, owned the majority of the REs available. I have way more REs in my rack than I ever seem to have time to use. As far as instruments, effects and utilities are concerned, I think I'm well covered. I've been trying to use my time to actually use the REs I own, instead of lusting after the ones I don't have. It's always fun to have a new device, but sometimes dusting off an old purchase can be just as much fun. I don't see many things hit the shop these days which explore new areas I don't already have covered with some other device in my rack. All that being said, I've been buying more players than anything. I find the players, especially when stacked, can open up many new musical directions that I might not have otherwise discovered. Is that cheating? Maybe. But I've been having a blast with my players lately. 9 out of my newest 10 REs are players. I don't see much else in the shop I want/need other than Delta, I'll probably get it on sale sometime in the future.

ScaleMatrix, ChordLine, Quad Note Generator
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

motuscott

06 Apr 2020

Of course I do
Wait, is this a pop quiz?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

rgdaniel

06 Apr 2020

I'm going to try to make a real effort to work with what I already have.... says the guy who wasn't going to upgrade to R11 but did anyway...

superpop

06 Apr 2020

Yep

Glitch, Synapse Bundle e KHs One,

BradfordMoeller

06 Apr 2020

Mhm, just bought the Forgotten Compressor & love it.

Currently, however, I think I am only in the market for more acoustic/non-synth instrument REs, and maybe whatever Kuassa does next. Who knows though.
:reason:)))

Faastwalker

06 Apr 2020

Less & less to be honest. But I'd still rather have RE's than VST's. I'm buying less because I've got a lot of ground covered with the RE's I've already bought & there's less & less RE's appearing these days. But if interesting stuff still appears or maybe older stuff I've considered in a sale I'd be all over it ;)

I think these are last three bought;

CV-I/O Converter
Delta MIDI Computer
Complex-1

Steedus
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

Very rarely. I just find VSTs just way more interesting, and I pretty much never use CV stuff in Reason so that kind of integration doesn't matter to me.

In 2019 I bought the Synapse bundle and The Animus. In 2017 I bought 4 REs, 1 in 2015 (DR-1), and 1 in 2012 (Uhbik A). Definitely a few I regret buying.
Last edited by Steedus on 06 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

friday

06 Apr 2020

Less Synths and Effects but still invest in Players.

Zac

06 Apr 2020

No, not since I can use VSTs in Reason. I will always buy the VHS over the betamax unless I can only get it in betamax :P even though betamax is better than VHS in many ways :?

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

Nope.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

zoidkirb

06 Apr 2020

It's been a little while but I think: arcus user knobs, delta midi computer, loopcracker bundle.
Things I'm coveting: step sequencer, auto latch.

PhillipOrdonez

06 Apr 2020

I do. I buy mostly players because I like them and find them a source of inspiration. But I never buy instruments.

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Apr 2020

Yea I still do.

Drop and Lift Semitone Transpose FX (my first turn2on purchase ever)

ModularRE Multi-Effect Processor

Forgotten Compressor

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2020

aeox wrote:
07 Apr 2020
Yea I still do.

Drop and Lift Semitone Transpose FX (my first turn2on purchase ever)

ModularRE Multi-Effect Processor

Forgotten Compressor
How's the ModularRE Multi-Effect Processor? Is it any good?
I don't want to "waste" my trail right now since I've spent enough money on REs already lately. Better to save the trial for another time.

Michaellos

07 Apr 2020

As a Reason user I like both Re's and VST's, but I already have enough tools for making music, so it's really more and more hard to get excited about new synth. However, I'm looking forward to get Scenic in some perspective, waiting for May Madness to happen :)

• Information