Do you ever buy stuff on sale “just in case”?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

26 May 2019

I bought all the REs by The Chronologists (they're now free) because I had this idea I was going to become a James Bond supervillain style CV master, my dark nerd genius creating electronic glitchery that would bring the free world to its knees, muhahahahaha

Fast forward to 2019 and I use them occasionally for randomised CV mayhem, but really have no fucking clue what I'm doing

zoidkirb

26 May 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 May 2019
I bought all the REs by The Chronologists (they're now free) because I had this idea I was going to become a James Bond supervillain style CV master, my dark nerd genius creating electronic glitchery that would bring the free world to its knees, muhahahahaha

Fast forward to 2019 and I use them occasionally for randomised CV mayhem, but really have no fucking clue what I'm doing
Skope Jr is free but the rest of their lineup ranges from $9 - $25.

MannequinRaces

26 May 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 May 2019

I did the same thing man, lol. Although my ambitions weren't as high as yours.

Jmax

27 May 2019

If I could do it over again, I would purchase maybe 10 percent of what I have now. I've realized that you can get most of the sounds you want out of 1 or 2 synths. Most plugins you're not going to use much. The endless compressors etc..

I find that using what you have, re exploring things and tweaking knobs is a way better experience and more satisfying then just buying the latest and greatest. Took me a while to realize this!

reggie1979

27 May 2019

It would be keen if we could sell RE's, as I'm kinda doubled up on some stuff.

tibah

27 May 2019

1. GAS
2. Buyer's remorse

Rince & repeat.

:D :oops: :lol:

dvdrtldg

27 May 2019

I have something like 300 REs and the only ones I'd get rid of would be one or two CV utilities that have become superceded by later, superior utilities. Shape LFO, for example, means I no longer reach for older LFOs that I bought because they offered crazy waveforms

But I love sitting on a giant pile of synths, filters, compressors and other shit. There's a bunch of go-to workhorses that I know well, but every now and then it's great to pull something unfamiliar out of the box and get better acquainted. It's always a learning experience, and the devices you don't know like the back of your hand tend to be the ones that deliver those precious happy accidents while you're figuring them out

I think the whole "You can do everything with Thor and two compressors" mentality is sort of anti-experimental, and misses a big part of the joy of making music

• Information