New Morpher CV Utility RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

Boombastix wrote: ↑
21 May 2019
Is it a SDK limitation that the knobs don't update when Morpher is given CV inputs to morph the sounds. It looks like that in the video that it morphs but the knobs don't move?

I just got it and would like to know the answer to that too. I like visuals.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

djadalaide

21 May 2019

Its the morphing pad from camel audio alchemy!!

EpiGenetik

21 May 2019

djadalaide wrote: ↑
21 May 2019
Its the morphing pad from camel audio alchemy!!
Nah, NI Kore was about 3 years before Alchemy :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

Mataya wrote: ↑
21 May 2019
Boombastix wrote: ↑
21 May 2019

No it's different, it is a 4-way X-Y pad, so 4 values based on the X-Y position, and they depend on each other, but no scenes (or you could call it one scene). Morpher has 8 scenes each with 8 values, and no dependence, you can set each of the 8 CV values freely for each scene.
Oh right. I thought that with "snap"/quantise option you could get "scenes" in a way, but yeah I can see how different devices are. Still, you can get basic xy macro controller and more with quadelectra's.

M
I believe that quantize function is pretty unique. Haven't tried yet but it could be used for filter sweeps, like the old Casio FZ-1, some people buy the hw just for that reason, lol :roll:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

kraftf

22 May 2019

This RE is amazing and could be described as a small VOLT SL-1 which is way more manageable in size and via remote protocol.
it fits very nice instruments and adds a layer of morphing versions of a patch.
It's like the vst alchemy pad or even the 8 macro controls in Ableton.
Well done Retouch!!!

modecca

22 May 2019

kraftf wrote: ↑
22 May 2019
This RE is amazing and could be described as a small VOLT SL-1 which is way more manageable in size and via remote protocol.
it fits very nice instruments and adds a layer of morphing versions of a patch.
It's like the vst alchemy pad or even the 8 macro controls in Ableton.
Well done Retouch!!!
This re having a randomization feature means this is the first cv patch randomization device that i know of (even though only 8 knobs/cvs out).
I would welcome a big brother that has 32+ slots for complex patch randomization and morphing.

In comparison to the Volt, I do prefer the Morpher's slider over pressing buttons to transition.
That said the volt was the first device to offer this morphing feature, I have used it many many times and I would love to see an upgrade where they add knob value randomization.

With this being so easy to use and having the slot randomization, so far my first emphasis is on effect dedicated combinators: the range of sounds you could get out of each combinator means it would take a very long time to get bored of it.

This is the first re I have bought in a very very long time.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Trying to work this out and can't...because I'm just getting in to cv.
In some of the combinators...when I dial the knobs on Morpher I can see parameters changing on the connected device. That is to say the knobs on the connected device move in response to the knobs on Morpher. eg. Grain combi, MClassEQ and Redrum combi.
In the Subtractor Combinators however, moving the knobs on Morpher doesn't result in any corresponding movement on the Subtractor controls.
Is it something to do with having to assign cv stuff in the combinators?...I really don't know. Anybody tell me in simple terms? Thanks.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Loque

22 May 2019

MrFigg wrote: ↑
22 May 2019
In some of the combinators...when I dial the knobs on Morpher I can see parameters changing on the connected device. That is to say the knobs on the connected device move in response to the knobs on Morpher. eg. Grain combi, MClassEQ and Redrum combi.
In the Subtractor Combinators however, moving the knobs on Morpher doesn't result in any corresponding movement on the Subtractor controls.
Is it something to do with having to assign cv stuff in the combinators?...I really don't know. Anybody tell me in simple terms? Thanks.
If you see the knobs moving, they are controlled through the Combinator and there is no CV connecting, its more like automation.

Subtractor has lots of CV inputs and can be controlled directly via CV on its back. This can be combined with manual or automated knob movement in Subtractor.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Loque wrote: ↑
22 May 2019
22 May 2019
If you see the knobs moving, they are controlled through the Combinator and there is no CV connecting, its more like automation.

Subtractor has lots of CV inputs and can be controlled directly via CV on its back. This can be combined with manual or automated knob movement in Subtractor.
Aah...ok...so in the cases where I see the knobs moving it's because the Morpher is connected to the Combinator which in turn is the thing making the knobs turn on the device? Connecting Morpher directly into a cv on say an instrument only affects the cv value and doesn't automate the controls? Is that correct?
Messed about with the trim knobs on some cv inputs...guessing that narrows the range? Is that right?
Sorry for the beginner questions...I really should try and get a book.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

mjxl

22 May 2019

22 May 2019
Loque wrote: ↑
22 May 2019

Aah...ok...so in the cases where I see the knobs moving it's because the Morpher is connected to the Combinator which in turn is the thing making the knobs turn on the device? Connecting Morpher directly into a cv on say an instrument only affects the cv value and doesn't automate the controls? Is that correct?
Messed about with the trim knobs on some cv inputs...guessing that narrows the range? Is that right?
Exactemundo

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

mjxl wrote: ↑
22 May 2019
22 May 2019

Exactemundo
Thanks :). I just opened up a Grain Combi and reverse engineered (if you can call it that). Now I'm pretty sure I got it :). Thanks again :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Aye well...that's another RE added to the collection. This one will hopefully give me the inspiration to learn how to program combinators :).
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

mjxl

22 May 2019

If you need any assistance, you're at the right place !

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

mjxl wrote: ↑
22 May 2019
If you need any assistance, you're at the right place !
Ha ha :) I know :) Love it.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

zoidkirb

22 May 2019

Putting a Lectric Panda Skope between any of these CV utilities and a Synth that you're directly inputting that CV into is a huge help to let you know exactly what you're effecting.

mjxl

22 May 2019

zoidkirb wrote: ↑
22 May 2019
Putting a Lectric Panda Skope between any of these CV utilities and a Synth that you're directly inputting that CV into is a huge help to let you know exactly what you're effecting.
Exactly, SkopeM4 to see what 2 CV channels and both left and right audio are doing :thumbs_up: :mrgreen:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

Changed my mind. SL-1 rocks it.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

pongasoft
RE Developer

26 May 2019

In case you don't know Alchemy (the synth from Logic on macOS), this is exactly the same thing that is at the bottom...
0.png
0.png (38.16 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
I have been wanting to build this exact RE for 2+ years! I don't know how the author did it (since at least at the time you could not have a user turn a knob while the knob can be programmatically turned (as is demonstrated by automation btw...)) and maybe the latest SDKs allow this kind of feature...) but congrats!

Yan

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

pongasoft wrote: ↑
26 May 2019
In case you don't know Alchemy (the synth from Logic on macOS), this is exactly the same thing that is at the bottom...

0.png

I have been wanting to build this exact RE for 2+ years! I don't know how the author did it (since at least at the time you could not have a user turn a knob while the knob can be programmatically turned (as is demonstrated by automation btw...)) and maybe the latest SDKs allow this kind of feature...) but congrats!

Yan
Check out how to do it and do it :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2019

pongasoft wrote: ↑
26 May 2019

0.png

Yan
Nothing has changed in that regard - automation is still 'absolute" and CV 'relative", as it always has been (and probably always will be, at least with regards to CV).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

pongasoft
RE Developer

27 May 2019

selig wrote: ↑
27 May 2019
Nothing has changed in that regard - automation is still 'absolute" and CV 'relative", as it always has been (and probably always will be, at least with regards to CV).
:)
Then I am stumped. I have no idea how he implemented it since the video clearly shows him moving the knob (which is direct user interaction), then moving the rectangle which interpolates the values between A and B and moves the knob (which is programmatic). I even had exchanges with Props dev support about how to implement such a thing and there didn't seem to be a way (I described to them this exact interface with screenshot 2 years ago because that was going to be my next RE...).

Yan

kraftf

27 May 2019

26 May 2019
I own both.
SL-1 is a beast as you say. It's a bit more difficult to remote control because it has separate control definitions for each set. On the other hand morpher is much more usable in terms of rack space and organisation.
Both are very good.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 May 2019

kraftf wrote: ↑
27 May 2019
26 May 2019
I own both.
SL-1 is a beast as you say. It's a bit more difficult to remote control because it has separate control definitions for each set. On the other hand morpher is much more usable in terms of rack space and organisation.
Both are very good.
Just so I’m clear...when you say remote control you mean with some sort of midi controller right?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

kraftf

27 May 2019

Yes remote control from midi control surfaces

Bes
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2020

Update 1.1.0

MIDI notes C0 to F0 triggers snapshots A thru H respectively
- Certified Reason expert

• Information