Question about Rent to Own REs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

05 May 2019

So I see that Complex-1 is on sale for 1/2 price ($50). If someone has been renting Complex-1 for 2 months, does that mean they can now buy it for $30?

Also, if a train is traveling at 60mph from Baltimore to Chicago....
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

05 May 2019

challism wrote:
05 May 2019
So I see that Complex-1 is on sale for 1/2 price ($50). If someone has been renting Complex-1 for 2 months, does that mean they can now buy it for $30?

Probably not. Complex-1 was the first rent-to-own RE I went for as I just had to have it ASAP but didn't want to drop the full amount on it at the time. But I doubt I'd ever use rent-to-own again. Better to just hold out of the inevitable sale for most RE's. It would have to be Complex-1 level special for me to even consider it a 2nd time.

.................. if a train is travelling at 60mph from Baltimore to Chicago & whilst on the journey a new RE appeared that you really, really had to have. How stupid would you have to be to pay full price / rent-to-own to get it right away?! ANSWER: Pretty fucking stupid with the RE shop being in a state of near perpetual sale.

MannequinRaces

06 May 2019

challism wrote:
05 May 2019

I don't think they could be able to buy it for $30.
Faastwalker wrote:
05 May 2019
How stupid would you have to be to pay full price / rent-to-own to get it right away?! ANSWER: Pretty fucking stupid with the RE shop being in a state of near perpetual sale.
I've advocated before that it's smarter to wait for sales instead of doing rent-to-own but some people aren't that great at managing / saving money. For them paying monthly is a better option, even though they could save a lot by waiting it out. I came very close to buying Complex-1 at full price but knew it would go on sale eventually, never expected it to be deal of the week so soon. Kind of assumed it would be about 25% off for May Madness (is that even happening still)? Complex-1 is absolutely worth full price so don't feel too bad giving Propellerhead the full price for it. :)

challism

06 May 2019

That's kind of messed up, really. If an RE is on sale for $50 and you have already paid $20 via rent to own, you should be able to buy it outright for another $30. But a user would still have to pay $50 for the RE on sale? Not good. At least you got to use it for 2 months, I suppose.

This sounds very much like the upgrade price of Parsec 2 not proportionally dropping when the full license goes on sale. Not to reopen that can of worms, but many of us are unhappy about that. I think the Prop Shop needs another update to allow for some things (complete my bundle, update price sales, rent to own credit carried over to sale prices, etc).

Kategra

06 May 2019

challism wrote:
06 May 2019
That's kind of messed up, really. If an RE is on sale for $50 and you have already paid $20 via rent to own, you should be able to buy it outright for another $30. But a user would still have to pay $50 for the RE on sale? Not good. At least you got to use it for 2 months, I suppose.

This sounds very much like the upgrade price of Parsec 2 not proportionally dropping when the full license goes on sale. Not to reopen that can of worms, but many of us are unhappy about that. I think the Prop Shop needs another update to allow for some things (complete my bundle, update price sales, rent to own credit carried over to sale prices, etc).
Yeah, I bought Parsec 1, never going to pay that full price upgrade to Parsec 2.. better buy another new RE with those full $$. Better since one of my personal debit cards gets refused (only happens on PH store) I don't buy REs :))) I put in the chart, try to buy - ERROR, saved $$.. not worth the hussle to to use other credit cards for this. Only once in a blue moon I use another card for a must have RE or upgrade.. but it complicates the purchase. So somehow PH store has some good buy deterance mechanism embedded :)))

guitfnky

06 May 2019

challism wrote:
06 May 2019

it’s like going to Rent-To-Own, and agreeing to pay $100 a month for a thousand dollar TV, and complaining that you can’t buy it outright for three hundred, when two months later it goes on sale for five hundred bucks. there’s nothing shady, or messed up about that.

how and when you buy any product will *always* be a risk/reward.

you can (I would assume) cancel the subscription and buy it for $50 (which still saves you 30 percent of what you planned on paying for it). that’s a sweetheart deal.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

challism

06 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
06 May 2019
challism wrote:
06 May 2019

it’s like going to Rent-To-Own, and agreeing to pay $100 a month for a thousand dollar TV, and complaining that you can’t buy it outright for three hundred, when two months later it goes on sale for five hundred bucks. there’s nothing shady, or messed up about that.

you can (I would assume) cancel the subscription and buy it for $50 (which still saves you 30 percent of what you planned on paying for it). that’s a sweetheart deal.
Good point and I really can't argue with you.

boingy

06 May 2019

Well I, for one, feel it's a crappy way to treat loyal customers. If something goes on sale whilst you are still renting/paying for it they should cut you some slack and make you feel loved. Otherwise you may not rent anything again.

The whole rental, reward, perpetual sale thing pushes me away from the PH ecosystem towards VSTs, which are more flexible, better supported and will still exist in the unlikely scenarios where PH disappear, go bust or run away.

Plus, those VSTs are easier to read on my display, even the ones that don't support Ui scaling. I have some VSTs that duplicate my REs and I always use them because I can read the text easier...

joeyluck

06 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
06 May 2019
challism wrote:
06 May 2019

Well actually, that is a thing that stores nowadays do honor—buyer/price protection. Usually within 30-90 days though. They've gotten much more flexible with the amount of competition out there (brick and mortar, but especially Internet). But in this case for REs, you can't take advantage of a sale price even if you start your RTO on the same day anyways, so there's that understanding already...

I do think the system would work better if honoring sale prices because I think it all evens out. You're going to have customers who might only pay 1 or 2 months ($10-$20) into a $100 RE and then stop and never continue. But if enticed by a sale in the middle, then they might cash in to complete the purchase...and maybe you get $40 from them you wouldn't have gotten otherwise (at a total price you're getting from other people anyways). Propellerhead could even have a rule that if a RE goes on sale for equal or less than what you've already paid, you still need to pay 'x amount' to buy it outright during the sale...

Alternatively, I don't think devs do their RTO products justice if they put them on sale. Great candidates for RTO would be Sonic Charge. Those REs are never on sale and customers can be confident that they won't be. So I think if the system doesn't offer flexibility to the customer, it's best for the dev pick and choose if something will go on sale from time-to-time or be available for RTO.

Faastwalker

06 May 2019

The moral of the story is - Wait for the sale, ALWAYS. however, I just had to have Complex-1 as it was so, so good. I'm happy with the rent-to-own for this RE. But as I said before, I think it would be a Summer's day in the Antarctic before I use rent-to-own again. Maybe if Complex-2 comes out?! Otherwise it's WAIT FOR THE INEVITABLE ......... and save a bit of hard earned.

sleep1979

07 May 2019

Yeah i think you should get some buy now price deal against what you have paid , i think the more people who want things ,

Ie should comment “yes i want it too “

Or make petitions on these pages to get things .
As i dont think companies would take notice untill they see a substantial amount of people asking for a certain thing .

Because if people are still using rent to own and there earning a lot and only a few people shout about it things wont change .

I for one think you should get some offers when there on sale to save a bit at least i agree

reddust

07 May 2019

I am in that same situation, started paying for Complex-1 as a rent-to-own product two months ago, but I can't complain, it was my decision to buy it that way and I did fully on purpose because I think it's worth the full price.

If I wanted I could buy it now for 49 Euros and still save 20 to 30 Euros because the reduced price is still less than the rest I have to pay in my rent-to-own plan. If I'd do that I'd pay just 20 Euros more than people who buy Complex-1 directly on sale, I don't see any reason to complain as even that way I would be getting some discount over the full price and it was my decision to buy it that way instead of waiting for a sale when we all know that at least one of the Reason devices have a sale price every week.

I'm personally not taking advantage of the sale price by now because I don't want to give 50 Euros at once in a single device at this moment, so I'll keep paying the full price even when it's not the cheapest option, but sometimes money saving is not the highest priority. I think there is nothing wrong with this paying system as it's definitely a two sided decision, I have more issues with one sided decision by PH like the rewards system for example.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

I guess the point is that they are totally clear that Rent to Own price will not change in the event of a sale. They’re not trying to cheat anyone. I said when they introduced it that if you can wait a few months, in most cases no matter what the RE is, it will go on sale. May Madness, Black Friday, End of Summer etc.
Same can be said (though not exactly) of the Rigs. I’ve spent a small fortune buying the REs individually only to see them bundled for as low as €129. I guess you take your chances.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sleep1979

07 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 May 2019
I guess the point is that they are totally clear that Rent to Own price will not change in the event of a sale. They’re not trying to cheat anyone. I said when they introduced it that if you can wait a few months, in most cases no matter what the RE is, it will go on sale. May Madness, Black Friday, End of Summer etc.
Same can be said (though not exactly) of the Rigs. I’ve spent a small fortune buying the REs individually only to see them bundled for as low as €129. I guess you take your chances.
I haven't lost out to bad yet i only paid one month for rob papens predator that i have decided i wont carry on with so I've lost £7.99 so far , i did that before the one months trial which was a bit dumb of me 😂

• Information