Tsar-1 vs Tsar-1R

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2018

I’m guessing this has probably been covered before. Probably a lot. But anyway...those two. I’ve got 1R already. Anybody enlighten me as to how it compares to the dearer one? I’m really all verbed out but I do like 1R so was just wondering. Thanks for any thoughts. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

17 Nov 2018

Its a bit more tweakable, that's all. And for that Softube wants the 10 times higher price.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
17 Nov 2018
Its a bit more tweakable, that's all. And for that Softube wants the 10 times higher price.
Thanks Loque :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ottostrom

17 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
17 Nov 2018
I'm not gonna defend the big price difference, but the extra tweakability is definitely useful!
I use it a lot on acoustic material to get a realistic room sound and often have to manually adjust most of the parameters before I'm satisfied.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2018

Ottostrom wrote:
17 Nov 2018
I'm not gonna defend the big price difference, but the extra tweakability is definitely useful!
I use it a lot on acoustic material to get a realistic room sound and often have to manually adjust most of the parameters before I'm satisfied.
I agree with this.

I actually bought it for full price, which maybe wasn't the smartest since it does go on sale sometimes. But I just didn't have the patience to wait for that at the time I wanted it.
Despite being my most espensive RE I don't regret the purchase because I've used it quite a bit. I personally think the extra tweakability is worth getting. But I understand if the price is off putting.

It's a good reverb, especially on "real" instruments like Ottostrom mentioned, though I use it on other stuff too.

jayhosking

17 Nov 2018

I demoed both, and found I didn't need the extra that TSAR-1 provided over TSAR-1R. They're both great, but between TSAR-1R and DR-1, I don't ever think about or regret not buying TSAR-1.

Ottostrom

17 Nov 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
17 Nov 2018
I agree with this.

I actually bought it at full price, which maybe wasn't the smartest since it does go on sale sometimes. But I just didn't have the patience to wait for that at the time I wanted it.
Despite being my most espensive RE I don't regret the purchase because I've used it quite a bit. I personally think the extra tweakability is worth getting. But I understand if the price is off putting.

It's a good reverb, especially on "real" instruments like Ottostrom mentioned, though I use it on other stuff too.
I also remember buying it at full price when it first came out, despite being a teenager at the time with almost no income :P
Felt like an idiot for a few days after cause it was like half the price of Reason itself! But I'm super glad I bit the bullet so early, since it's probably my most used RE to date.

motuscott

17 Nov 2018

intro price IIRC, no regrets.
This and Titus BBD delay are my standard insert FX
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Kalm

17 Nov 2018

I bought it when it went on sale. I don't regret.. Losing the ability to choose the decay time for certain tones made me have to upgrade at some point, but catch it on a sale.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Loque

17 Nov 2018

I am more and more a fan of impulse response. Try this before you buy the next reverb.
Reason12, Win10

toddbooster

18 Nov 2018

I have the VST of 1R from a past life, and I chose it over it's big brother specifically because I find reverb fussy and this is easy as pie to quickly set something nice.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2018

Pretty much what I expected. I guess I’m set with the verbs I’ve already got. Thanks for the input. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:I am more and more a fan of impulse response. Try this before you buy the next reverb.
Definitely check out Reverberate by Liquidsonics, one of the most amazing convolution reverbs out there IMO.
$125
https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/reverberate-2/

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

18 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
18 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:I am more and more a fan of impulse response. Try this before you buy the next reverb.
Definitely check out Reverberate by Liquidsonics, one of the most amazing convolution reverbs out there IMO.
$125
https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/reverberate-2/

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Thanks for the hint, but i am actually not in the mood to pay more than 100 for a reverb. Maybe if there is a sale on BF. In the meantime i try more to experiment with IR and to generate them, also for creative purposes.
Reason12, Win10

miscend

20 Nov 2018

They are both great. You could get both! I would wait for Softube to put their REs on sale. Because of the interface differences and the fact that you have way more parameters to adjust, I tend to coax very different sounds out of Tsar1 compared to its smaller sibling.

If you are on the market for reverbs you should also check out Acon Verberate and Eventide SP2016 which are both on Black Friday sales at Audiodeluxe. Exponential Audio’s R2 and Pheonixverb will also be on sale soon.

ljekio

20 Nov 2018

I guess TSAR-1 must read any presets created in TSAR-1R. VST users of TSAR-1 received TSAR-1R for free, but TSAR-1 RE users can't open project with TSAR-1R and can't use presets for it.

Nielsen

20 Nov 2018

I had both on trial a while back and found TSAR-1 superior to the point where the 1R almost seemed poor in comparison. That's not to say there isn't use for the latter, but in my experience the bigger device is the way to go between the two.

• Information