How do I force Players to treat input as monophonic?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
groggy1

27 Aug 2018

So I have a basic arp setup using DualArp Player:

Basically going playing notes at 1/8 speed, first the played note, then one octave up (repeat).
This is the basic arp from New Order's Blue Monday, for example.

I'm able to start by playing C2 on keyboard, then let's say D#2. What I want the arp to OUTPUT is:
C2-C3-C2-C3
D#2-D#3-D#2-D#3

BUT, if I play any legato from C2 to D#2, the DualArpPlayer thinks the input chord should include both C2 and D#2 - that's not what I want at all.

How do I force DualArp to treat the input as monophonic, and not treat what I'm playing as chords?

Does this make sense?

Libraquaricorn

27 Aug 2018

groggy1 wrote:
27 Aug 2018
So I have a basic arp setup using DualArp Player:

Basically going playing notes at 1/8 speed, first the played note, then one octave up (repeat).
This is the basic arp from New Order's Blue Monday, for example.

I'm able to start by playing C2 on keyboard, then let's say D#2. What I want the arp to OUTPUT is:
C2-C3-C2-C3
D#2-D#3-D#2-D#3

BUT, if I play any legato from C2 to D#2, the DualArpPlayer thinks the input chord should include both C2 and D#2 - that's not what I want at all.

How do I force DualArp to treat the input as monophonic, and not treat what I'm playing as chords?

Does this make sense?
I'm not an expert but I do not think this is possible. You just have to avoid the legato, but the best setting for the player to do the thing you ask is (as far as I can tell): ARP 1: On - Rate: 1/8 - Octave: 2 - Direction: Up+Down - Repeat: Off - Steps: On - Nuber of steps: 1 - ARP2: Off

If you record the sequence of of single notes you want to play in the reason sequencer first, it's pretty easy to "clean up" the overlapping notes so you avoid the legato. Hope this helps....

emilng

27 Aug 2018

You can do this with note echo instead with 1 note repeat and pitch up 12 semitones at 1/8 speed. This will give you a single C2-C3, D#2-D#3. If you need to repeat these more than once you can use another instance of note echo with note repeat without pitch change and speed set to 1/4 speed going into the first note echo.

groggy1

27 Aug 2018

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give it a shot tonight!

ljekio

27 Aug 2018

2018-08-27_19-16-15.jpg
2018-08-27_19-16-15.jpg (64.69 KiB) Viewed 983 times
And bonus - arpeggios will played with snap to grid.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2018

Try using the Dual Arpeggio with the hold on, makes it easier to play.

if you were only playing C2-C3-C2-C3 D#2-D#3-D#2-D#3 you can use the pattern function and just press C2 and D#2 at the same time to play the sequence..

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2018

ljekio wrote:Use RPG-8 :)
RPG8 has exactly the same problem that the Dual ARP has, as described by the OP. I even tried using it’s CV out to the MIDI-CV player and into the Dual ARP, but no joy - you need to send the note off of each individual note, and CV does not allow this. Also tried Thor to convert note to CV with the “Last Note” option, but again it’s a imitation of Reason’s CV that prevents it from working as requested by the OP

The suggestion for Note Echo comes can give the desired result, but you have to keep hitting the same note over and over unlike with an arpeggiator.

But this gives me an idea to see if I can add this capability to my NoteView Player, since if you can restrict the polyphony at the Player level you should be able to get the Dual ARP to respond ONLY to the last note played even when you play with legato or actually play two notes at once.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2018

ljekio wrote: And bonus - arpeggios will played with snap to grid.
That’s a pretty annoying “feature” of the Dual ARP, always restricting the arpeggiator to the 16th note grid even when using an 1/8th (or other) note rate.

At least the RPG-8 adapts to the current rate setting.
:(

Selig Audio, LLC

groggy1

27 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
27 Aug 2018
RPG8 has exactly the same problem that the Dual ARP has, as described by the OP. I even tried using it’s CV out to the MIDI-CV player and into the Dual ARP, but no joy - you need to send the note off of each individual note, and CV does not allow this. Also tried Thor to convert note to CV with the “Last Note” option, but again it’s a imitation of Reason’s CV that prevents it from working as requested by the OP

The suggestion for Note Echo comes can give the desired result, but you have to keep hitting the same note over and over unlike with an arpeggiator.

But this gives me an idea to see if I can add this capability to my NoteView Player, since if you can restrict the polyphony at the Player level you should be able to get the Dual ARP to respond ONLY to the last note played even when you play with legato or actually play two notes at once.

That's a good idea to add it to your player! I.e. we need a "mono Player" to force mono behavior!

I haven't bought NoteView yet, but I would buy it for this. (Heck, I buy most of Selig's stuff anyway :))

ljekio

27 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
27 Aug 2018
You tried to play to RPG (with ARP off) as MIDI-CV convert and wired CV inputs to CVPT and Dual Arp after it?

groggy1

28 Aug 2018

Am I the only person trying to play Blue Monday in Reason? :)

selig
RE Developer

28 Aug 2018

ljekio wrote:
selig wrote:
27 Aug 2018
You tried to play to RPG (with ARP off) as MIDI-CV convert and wired CV inputs to CVPT and Dual Arp after it?
Yes, mentioned in the second sentence above (I prefer LoveOne’s MIDI-CV for the option of full poly conversion).

Again, the problem is with Reason’s Note CV allowing poly values for notes (but not gates) rather than restricting the values to a signal value (as to the other CV types).

Selig Audio, LLC

Reasonable man

28 Aug 2018

i cant figure out the dual arp from a playing perspective ...only a programmed one. It kinda shits itself once i change a chord off beat and has a little jitter/wobble to itself ....i dont think the original problem has been properly fixed?

anyway im off topic..... dosn't mater

manisnotabird

29 Aug 2018

Blamsoft Distributor set to 1 voice, gate and note CV from the 1st output of the Distributor to the input on a CV Player Tap, then put the DualArp under the CV Player Tap.

• Information