Reason Electric Bass - new RE from Props, 99EUR

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rgdaniel

15 Jul 2018

My copy of the Refill version was one I just found lying around on the internet, many years ago... so I felt like buying the RE was the right thing to do, karmically... I did use the discount code though... already digging the efficiency of it, though I acknowledge that it's less flexible, perhaps... the default patch is usually enough to get going with right away, maybe tweak it later...

Catblack

15 Jul 2018

How long does the coupon last? I really have no use for this, but I might consider it at $39 this fall.

But then Propellerhead are notorious for their short term sales, so my fear is the coupon code has expired while we've all been talking about it. (Still a bit bitter about that single day voucher, grrrr...)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2018

Catblack wrote:
15 Jul 2018
How long does the coupon last? I really have no use for this, but I might consider it at $39 this fall.

But then Propellerhead are notorious for their short term sales, so my fear is the coupon code has expired while we've all been talking about it. (Still a bit bitter about that single day voucher, grrrr...)
What single day voucher?!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

15 Jul 2018

softska wrote:
15 Jul 2018
Jmax wrote:
14 Jul 2018
If your hardcore into the basses etc.. then this is for you.
If you're hardcore into bass I'd imagine you'd want access to sample zones and reroute the FX.. Which you now no longer can. Refill is the better package (not necessary the UI, just flexibility wise)

Hard to not be disappointed how long NNXT had been lay dormant for so long
Why would a person hardcore into bass need access to the sample zones? A typical person using the refill isn’t remapping or editing samples. The RE version has the same articulations and keyswitches to my knowledge as well as the same ability to mix a direct signal with an amped one. There isn’t a practical bass thing the refill can do that RE can’t.

Not speaking for or against it. I can completely understand someone not wanting to buy the same thing twice.

Catblack

15 Jul 2018

MrFigg wrote:
15 Jul 2018
Catblack wrote:
15 Jul 2018

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7504355
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2018

Catblack wrote:
15 Jul 2018
MrFigg wrote:
15 Jul 2018

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7504355
Aaaa....that one. Right. Thanks:)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Dante

15 Jul 2018

InstaBought - and got the discount. Having this packaged as an RE makes it convenient - an RE more than the sum of its parts.

Suges

15 Jul 2018

InstaBought...like all Props' first party plugins over the years (except Umpf)!

ltbrunt00

16 Jul 2018

After using this RE I will say that the samples are exactly the same as the refill. I for one do like just dropping this in and spending less time tweaking. In the refill I usually strip out half devices or start with the nnxt file then spend time adding all the effects. If you like having devices that you can kind of set it then forget it then this RE is perfect.

If you are new to reason or never owned the original bass refill then I would say this is definitely worth buying. If you are like alot of the old timer Reason users hell bent on sticking refills then this is not for you.

I for one in the past have obtained refills in back alleys but I do see the greater need for all these developers to paid for their work. I can see eventually the Reason bass refill will be phased out.

I only hope with devices like these is that they continue to add updates or features in the future. Maybe allow people to import their own bass samples.

I am still trialing this device. I do see myself using this in some situations. I will continue using the bass refill for one reason. In the bass refill you can change the keyboard zone map. This helps for those notes that don't go low or high enough. If they could address that in the RE then this would have to be a must by.

I am still planning on buying it at the discounted price.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Aerond

17 Jul 2018

Having Trillian already this makes no sense for me, but it's an interesting RE.

I would love to see a Stompbox RE, though.

chimp_spanner

17 Jul 2018

It's good! Only thing I would've liked to see is a mono mode for doing hammer ons/trills/etc., and also the option to detune or extend the key range into 5 string bass territory. I need to reach at least a low B to match my guitars. Otherwise it sounds great.

Lov2sing

18 Jul 2018

I like this RE except the sound I find of the refill completely dissipates until the sound is gone; which the RE sound does not completely shut off. Plus the sound of the Refill is deeper, while the RE sounds thin. Lastly I wish they would have made more stomp boxes that were exchangeable also they could have added more bass models like an upright bass, and some bass riffs. Maybe an A-List bass RE is in the works and this is simply for R&D.
We make music for a reason

Dante

20 Jul 2018

I have a gripe with the Reason Bass RE. That is, the Articulations. They sit on the octave lower than the lowest note. But quite often I want to go lower than a Bass E. I might want to drop D or even C - or even lower ! With the Refill versions this was easily done - extend the lowest note in the XX-NT.

Now, using this RE - I have to transpose notes below bass E up an octave. Not happy.

Dante

22 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
15 Jul 2018
Why would a person hardcore into bass need access to the sample zones? A typical person using the refill isn’t remapping or editing samples. The RE version has the same articulations and keyswitches to my knowledge as well as the same ability to mix a direct signal with an amped one. There isn’t a practical bass thing the refill can do that RE can’t.
To allow extending range below bottom E - eg Drop D or C. With ReFill you can do that - with RE you cant.

QVprod

22 Jul 2018

Dante wrote:
22 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
15 Jul 2018
To allow extending range below bottom E - eg Drop D or C. With ReFill you can do that - with RE you cant.
Ok that's fair. I've gotten used to using bass instruments in the regular bass guitar range so I wouldn't have thought of that. I think that's a simple caveat that isn't necessarily anti hardcore users though. Who knows, they might include a drop D option in an update.

ltbrunt00

25 Jul 2018

This may be off subject but I am going to purchase either Spectrasonics Trilian or IK Multimedia's Modo bass. Which is better?

NekujaK

25 Jul 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
25 Jul 2018
This may be off subject but I am going to purchase either Spectrasonics Trilian or IK Multimedia's Modo bass. Which is better?
I've never used Trillian, so my opinion is not a fully informed one, but I really dig Modo Bass. Not only does it offer a massive amount of bass models, but it has options for pick/finger position, string type and age, pickups and EQ types, two amp models, and much more. You can pretty much get any type of electric bass sound imaginable.

The only thing I wish Modo Bass had are acoustic basses, which I think Trillian offers (?)
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

ltbrunt00

25 Jul 2018

I noticed on their site that they have a trial version of Modo bass.

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
25 Jul 2018
MODO BASS, one of the best plugin ever created.

Zac

27 Jul 2018

sdst wrote:
27 Jul 2018
ltbrunt00 wrote:
25 Jul 2018
MODO BASS, one of the best plugin ever created.
It does sound amazing.

NekujaK

02 Aug 2018

FYI... MODO BASS is on sale this month!

IK is pleased to announce our special sale on MODO BASS®, the breakthrough physical modeling technology virtual instrument that brings a completely new level of realism and playability to your recordings. From August 1st through September 4th, 2018 you can get MODO BASS for just $/€179.99. That’s 40% off the normal price of $/€299.99. Eligible crossgrade users can save too and get the crossgrade version for only $/€129.99 during this special promotion.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/promo ... m_id=14645
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2018

NekujaK wrote:
02 Aug 2018

IK is pleased to announce our special sale on MODO BASS®, the breakthrough physical modeling technology virtual instrument that brings a completely new level of realism and playability to your recordings. From August 1st through September 4th, 2018 you can get MODO BASS for just $/€179.99. That’s 40% off the normal price of $/€299.99. Eligible crossgrade users can save too and get the crossgrade version for only $/€129.99 during this special promotion.

Note the prices there are Ex Vat.
If I could get it for Dollars it maybe worth it, will wait and see if the JRR Shop will get in on that deal...

geronimo

03 Aug 2018

Nothing, after this link !

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Aug 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
02 Aug 2018
NekujaK wrote:
02 Aug 2018

If I could get it for Dollars it maybe worth it, will wait and see if the JRR Shop will get in on that deal...
FYI: Modo Bass is now on sale in the JRRshop, once in your cart it's $152.99 (which to us Brtis is about £123.92)

https://www.jrrshop.com/ik-multimedia-modo-bass

joeyluck

15 Aug 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
15 Aug 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
02 Aug 2018

FYI: Modo Bass is now on sale in the JRRshop, once in your cart it's $152.99 (which to us Brtis is about £123.92)

https://www.jrrshop.com/ik-multimedia-modo-bass
I tried MODO Bass and was disappointed. I'm interested in all modeled instruments. Was hoping to use MODO with my Seaboard Block. I figured that since it was modeled, it would be very flexible and I could do cool things with expression including pitch bend/slides, but turns out there is no fretless option and even trying to do slides on models with frets was no good. The user should be able to apply a varying degree of pressure, even on a fretted, and get different, great results from slides.

To me, that is one of the greatest benefits of having a modeled instrument—having control over various expression and playability that a sampled instrument can't offer. And especially being able to do slides/pitch bends without major, unrealistic changes to timbre. With the lack of expression and playability, I just couldn't find much of the benefit to this particular modeled instrument.

• Information