Nostromo 2

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
CaliforniaBurrito
Posts: 269
Joined: 11 Nov 2015

12 Sep 2017

Ok I'm strapped in for the evening. Here we go! :D
I'm a fantastic escape artist.

User avatar
Sus4
Posts: 11
Joined: 19 May 2017

12 Sep 2017

Nostromo is tied with Proton for my favourite non-stock RE synth, and I'm really looking forward to playing with the new options... but like some others have said, also very sad to see the oscillator copy/paste functionality gone. I hope there's a way it can come back!

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 407
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

13 Sep 2017

I agree that it should be easier to just randomize each oscillator, I went to go do that and there is quite the list you have to uncheck to just do the oscillators. Maybe the alt click method could bring up the old options and also when I made a sound last night it sounded as if I had some unison/detuning going on even though none of those parameters were touched each osc had one voice, but it sounded like there was some phase cancellation type stuff happening. Might it just be that some of the single cycle waveforms are slightly detuned?

User avatar
friday
Posts: 62
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

13 Sep 2017

This Synth is so inspiring!!! Much Love for Textures randome generated with Nostromo. Babuum...

The random generator per OSC would be a nice to have, there is free space before every OSC display, under the Voice selector? :-)

Abstrax
Posts: 146
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

13 Sep 2017

I haven't got to try out the update yet, but it looks really good. My only critique would be the compressor. I'd like to see a visual representation of the gain reduction. Especially since we can use it as a modulation source.

I'm hyped either way.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 1747
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

13 Sep 2017

Abstrax wrote:
13 Sep 2017
I haven't got to try out the update yet, but it looks really good. My only critique would be the compressor. I'd like to see a visual representation of the gain reduction. Especially since we can use it as a modulation source.

I'm hyped either way.
I thought the same. But it should be possible to send it out to a CV and visualize it with CVA-7 or similar.
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 407
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

13 Sep 2017

just figured out a way around the no random oscillators, i didn't realize you can click and drag a spectrum and which ever bank you have selected, it will scroll through :D also you can just save a combinator with all the menus de selected! now I'm really having fun with it! :D

User avatar
mataya
Posts: 248
Joined: 26 Apr 2016
Location: Croatia

13 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
13 Sep 2017
just figured out a way around the no random oscillators, i didn't realize you can click and drag a spectrum and which ever bank you have selected, it will scroll through :D also you can just save a combinator with all the menus de selected! now I'm really having fun with it! :D
Yeah. And also you can hold alt and clicking on the slot will change the spectrum bank, so when you find the one you want...then scroll trough spectrums.
Ctrl + slot = empty slot.

M

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 188
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

13 Sep 2017

mataya wrote:
13 Sep 2017
Ctrl + slot = empty slot.
Command + slot on an Apple computer _

User avatar
fotizimo
Posts: 135
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Canada
Contact:

13 Sep 2017

Is anyone else seeing a drastic change in DSP usage with the new update? I used to be able to stack up Nostromo layers all day long, but I am starting to get crackling and the DSP meter now fluctuates wildly. I have multi-core turned on, and a project with three Nostromo instances and Kong playing two instruments is causing this project to go crazy. I am checking with projects I worked with early but only ever had a single instance or two in each, so it is hard to measure this now. I have turned off the wave analyzer for each, thinking that might be chewing DSPs but it doesn't seem to make any discernible difference.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same behaviour.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 912
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

13 Sep 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
12 Sep 2017
Trials should be reset soon, it might take a few days though as the process is dependent on PH and not Lectric Panda. Hold your breath...
Cool. Pay day is not until next week. But I'm itching to dive in yesterday.

User avatar
Bumbum
Posts: 70
Joined: 14 Jan 2017

14 Sep 2017

btw,was this update for free?

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 1747
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

14 Sep 2017

Bumbum wrote:
14 Sep 2017
btw,was this update for free?
yes. :thumbs_up:
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 1747
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

14 Sep 2017

After reading the manual i found this at the end: https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/wavefo ... waveforms/

I am wondering if i can use them in eXpanse as a wave or are they just samples. They are rooted to B-2, so it may not work, but i give it a try or see, if i can use them in a sampler or so... Maybe someone of you is interested too, so i posted it.
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 1329
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

14 Sep 2017

This is fantastic. I remember demo'ing Nostromo when it first came out and always regretted not buying it. Version 2 is superb. Being able to choose what kind of sound I want to randomly generate is so cool. Instant inspiration. Based on that feature alone it's worth the asking price.

Well done Panda!!!
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12 GB DDR | 2GB GeForce 740m | Komplete Audio 6

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 407
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

14 Sep 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Sep 2017
This is fantastic. I remember demo'ing Nostromo when it first came out and always regretted not buying it. Version 2 is superb. Being able to choose what kind of sound I want to randomly generate is so cool. Instant inspiration. Based on that feature alone it's worth the asking price.

Well done Panda!!!

Someone a while back said something very fitting, it's like having an unlimited refill :p the refill that keeps refilling XD

And A side note. The filters of nostromo are crazy awesome I had just a nostromo and a scream4 on tape and when sweeping I noticed the acid type of sound that the transistor and ladder filters give when driven. Pretty fun for any heavy bass design or crazy sequences. lol nostromo is the ultimate Re synth sequence maker

User avatar
Miss Controllerism
Posts: 58
Joined: 12 Jun 2015

14 Sep 2017

trial is still locked... i wannna buy it but only if i can try it before and see the improvements.. nostromo 1 was CPU hungy.. i want to see if 2.0 verison its more gentle on cpu
reason 9.5, Ableton 9.7

User avatar
bsp
Posts: 122
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

14 Sep 2017

..just stopping by to say "thank you for the free update!" :-)

I also have a few feature suggestions:

1) Add another set of "Performance" controller sources that are sampled when a note on occurs (e.g. modwheel at note on).
This would be very useful for adding movement that does not affect _all_ active voices.

2) Add four (?) random modulation sources that are completely random each time they are evaluated (when a note on occurs)

3) Add "Envelope [1..6] curve" modulation targets

Anyways, here's what I came up with this evening while programming some patches and testing the new version of this synth:

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 912
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

14 Sep 2017

bsp wrote:
14 Sep 2017
Anyways, here's what I came up with this evening while programming some patches and testing the new version of this synth:
Some fantastic sounds there ;)

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 1747
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

15 Sep 2017

bsp wrote:
14 Sep 2017
2) Add four (?) random modulation sources that are completely random each time they are evaluated (when a note on occurs)
I am not a big fan of pure random. At least i would like to see a seed for random, otherwise you get surprises when rendering that you might not like. That's the reason i dont use the random features in Fritz for pitching notes.
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 1747
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

15 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
13 Sep 2017
I agree that it should be easier to just randomize each oscillator, I went to go do that and there is quite the list you have to uncheck to just do the oscillators. Maybe the alt click method could bring up the old options and also when I made a sound last night it sounded as if I had some unison/detuning going on even though none of those parameters were touched each osc had one voice, but it sounded like there was some phase cancellation type stuff happening. Might it just be that some of the single cycle waveforms are slightly detuned?
You need to enable the key-sync (now i just miss a phase-offset for the wave :-D):
Attachments
sync.jpg
sync.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 177 times
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
rcbuse
Posts: 538
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

15 Sep 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are all being considered for 2.1.0. I can say there will be more options copy/paste/rand various sections like the osc's used to have, they just didn't make this cut.

Also, Apologies to all waiting for the 30 day trial reset. I've been informed that this is no longer an option for RE developers.

Thanks for all the feedback.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 1696
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

15 Sep 2017

rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions, they are all being considered for 2.1.0. I can say there will be more options copy/paste/rand various sections like the osc's used to have, they just didn't make this cut.

Also, Apologies to all waiting for the 30 day trial reset. I've been informed that this is no longer an option for RE developers.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Great update! Thanks for keeping up with your REs! And sorry to hear that there are no more Trial Resets... That sucks for all of us! :(

D.

User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1284
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

15 Sep 2017

bsp wrote:
14 Sep 2017
..just stopping by to say "thank you for the free update!" :-)

I also have a few feature suggestions:


2) Add four (?) random modulation sources that are completely random each time they are evaluated (when a note on occurs)

+1

I love that about Expanse and VK2. I use that a lot, and create an Expanse when I need it with another synth that doesn't have a Random source.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 1747
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

15 Sep 2017

There is nothing wrong to buy it. It could have a few moaaar features, but this thing does nearly everything and moaaar!

Maybe i should mention, that if you buy it, you get tons of filters that you can easily route other sounds through, a great sounding delay, a unique sounding reverb, a snappy compressor and a spread to widen your other audio signals. Not to forget, you have a great envelope, LFO and CV value generator with 1000 different LFO waveforms. With some tricks, you got another envelope follower aswell. Also a fancy display for waves and stereo spread. Considering this alone, is worth the price. And not to forget you get a great synth on top of it :-D

For anyone who is interested in the wave forms catalog, check this out: http://www.lectricpanda.com/NostromoCat ... _1_0_0.zip
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests