ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
bpmorton

01 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:The mod wheel doesn't seem to be doing anything. At least from what I can tell...
?
several RE synths that Ive tested the mod wheel isn't assignable. Have to throw the thing into a Combinator. As far as the graphics go..I like the shop graphics, makes it look like my Marantz receiver.

joeyluck

01 Jun 2015

I'm having issues with the looping as well. Anybody else hearing this? I can hear the start points :frown:

joeyluck

01 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:The mod wheel doesn't seem to be doing anything. At least from what I can tell...
?
bpmorton wrote:
several RE synths that Ive tested the mod wheel isn't assignable. Have to throw the thing into a Combinator. As far as the graphics go..I like the shop graphics, makes it look like my Marantz receiver.
That makes no sense. You would assign the combinator mod wheel. This device has a mod wheel on it.

Morphic1977

01 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:I wish I could save patches?

Dunno yet how I feel about the settings remaining static when browsing different instruments on the device...

Maybe putting the device inside the combinator will work and then saving combi patch.

:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

robgs

01 Jun 2015

This is what I don't get - it's just a romper with limited features - compressor, reverb and a ADSR ( woo! ) Maybe the sounds are good but 149 euros? And who the hell gave it 5 stars within 4 minutes of downloading it?
:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

dreampolice

01 Jun 2015

Project sam libraries are some of the best there are, I suggest you go to their website and look at who this company actually is before complaining. https://www.projectsam.com/Home

BTW GOOD string libraries usually start at $4-500 and go up to thousands of dollars. so $150 is MORE than fair. 

joeyluck

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:Project sam libraries are some of the best there are, I suggest you go to their website and look at who this company actually is before complaining. https://www.projectsam.com/Home

BTW GOOD string libraries usually start at $4-500 and go up to thousands of dollars. so $150 is MORE than fair. 
I gave it 5 stars just for their presence in the shop :)

But so far, I'm disappointed in this one. Very limited. Practically no control. The looping is bad. I can hear start/loop points and I can hear a pen drop over and over and over again :frown:

The browsing is awkward. The first instrument in each section loads when browsing.
The full "NOTE ON" message is annoying. Not sure why they couldn't keep elements like this (the note icon) from the mockup...?

The pitch range is not assignable and I'm still trying to figure out what the mod wheel does.

And it feels like some velocity layers are missing?

I am a proponent for sample-based REs vs ReFills, but I don't feel this is the way to do it.

dreampolice

01 Jun 2015

The point of project sam is the quality of the library. And it that way it delivers.

joeyluck

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:The point of project sam is the quality of the library. And it that way it delivers.
Well all that I mentioned above I would think is pretty relevant to quality.

I just hope some of these things are addressed :)

frog974new

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:The point of project sam is the quality of the library. And it that way it delivers.
may be ^^
just want to say , when some small dev. can do good Based sample like the Mifood Orange for only 35$ with more control and when you see a Rompler at 150$ with no flexiblity ..hum..

Quality of a Re is the way we can use it and not the "celebrity" of the Dev :)

normen

01 Jun 2015

frog974new wrote:may be ^^
just want to say , when some small dev. can do good Based sample like the Mifood Orange for only 35$ with more control and when you see a Rompler at 150$ with no flexiblity ..hum..

Theres TONS of such romplers on the market (outside of REs), nobody complains there.. Most composers I know are more than happy to have a simple instrument they get the sounds they need out of.

dreampolice

01 Jun 2015

Man I swear, once again Reason users are their own worst enemy's. Compare project sam to mixed orange? LMFAO. No offense to mixed orange but its not even in the same universe. I really dont think most of you guys understand the need of a quality string library. THIS IS NOT A SYNTH AT ALL. ANYWAY, have fun. 

joeyluck

01 Jun 2015

frog974new wrote:may be ^^

normen wrote:
Theres TONS of such romplers on the market (outside of REs), nobody complains there.. Most composers I know are more than happy to have a simple instrument they get the sounds they need out of.
But aside from this one lacking control and flexibility, it offers single flavors. So if you want a string ensemble sustain, you've got the one. It's true it will work for many folks. I just hope the looping issue is addressed. And I'd like to see more velocity layers. 

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2015

frog974new wrote:
may be ^^

It's nothing to do with the "celebrity," but the quality. The loop points issue joeyluck raised dampens that somewhat, but in any case you are getting string samples that are world class and hopefully the issues joeyluck raised will be fixed (but you never know).

tibah

01 Jun 2015

Finally some IDT love in presumably quality. Trial time!

joeyluck

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:Man I swear, once again Reason users are their own worst enemy's. Compare project sam to mixed orange? LMFAO. No offense to mixed orange but its not even in the same universe. I really dont think most of you guys understand the need of a quality string library. THIS IS NOT A SYNTH AT ALL. ANYWAY, have fun. 
Well I'm not trying to be a hater :) I'm a fanboy of all things Reason! I gave it 5 stars for support! Now I'm giving my real opinion. I'm simply pointing out real concerns and real impressions from trying this RE. Currently, I prefer and would recommend Miroslav for the money.

dreampolice

01 Jun 2015

Honestly Joey and I mean this with all respect, I am a bit skeptical of your claims, as someone who has used Project sam products for years it would blow my mind that they messed up something so simple as loop points. But I will try this RE now and see if I can hear what you are hearing.

Biolumin3sc3nt

01 Jun 2015

Send em an email Joey - see what they say

bpmorton

01 Jun 2015

?
bpmorton wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
That makes no sense. You would assign the combinator mod wheel.
joeyluck wrote:This device has a mod wheel on it.

For instance FM4 doesnt seem to have a way to raise LFO amount with the mod wheel. Have to put it in a combinator so you can use the mod wheel that way.

Marco Raaphorst

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:Project sam libraries are some of the best there are, I suggest you go to their website and look at who this company actually is before complaining. https://www.projectsam.com/Home

joeyluck wrote:
I gave it 5 stars just for their presence in the shop :)

But so far, I'm disappointed in this one. Very limited. Practically no control. The looping is bad. I can hear start/loop points and I can hear a pen drop over and over and over again :frown:

The browsing is awkward. The first instrument in each section loads when browsing.
The full "NOTE ON" message is annoying. Not sure why they couldn't keep elements like this (the note icon) from the mockup...?

The pitch range is not assignable and I'm still trying to figure out what the mod wheel does.

And it feels like some velocity layers are missing?

I am a proponent for sample-based REs vs ReFills, but I don't feel this is the way to do it.
Yes, the looping is shitty. Even on low notes. And some notes repeat only once (badly looped) and then stop suddenly. Que?!

The sound is really nice but the looping and patching is done badly. They can do a much better job with these samples for sure!

joeyluck

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:Honestly Joey and I mean this with all respect, I am a bit skeptical of your claims, as someone who has used Project sam products for years it would blow my mind that they messed up something so simple as loop points. But I will try this RE now and see if I can hear what you are hearing.
Maybe it's a hurdle for developers using IDT? Maybe loop points isn't something that is copied over easily? Perhaps they have to do that again by scratch? Maybe it's always been there?

Everything else is just my opinion. This does feel like a 'sampler' in the sense of 'demo.' The price is right for that compared to their other plugins. I feel like it might have been better for them to tackle and give full focus to single instruments—focusing on control, playability, offering a variety of ensembles within, maybe more velocity layers? Maybe that will come?

I've been a proponent for sample-based REs from the beginning. But with control and intuitive and interactive user interfaces in mind.

dreampolice

01 Jun 2015

So is anyone else having trouble downloading this thing?

normen

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:So is anyone else having trouble downloading this thing?
Nope, must be your interwebz.

tibah

01 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:So is anyone else having trouble downloading this thing?
Yup.

• Information