FX and Processors - Which ones?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DonnieAlan

26 Jan 2017

I would be curious to know which FX and processors, especially compression and EQ, you recommend from those available for Reason?
Right now I only have what came with Reason (now have 9) and Synchronous. I mainly work in Pro Tools and often use Waves, Sound Toys, and few others like that as my main "go to" fx and processors...but most of those don't have anything for Reason. (I'd love it if Waves and Sound Toys would ever make the jump!).

So...of what actually is available, especially those of you working professionally with Reason, what do you recommend/suggest?

Thanks

Aikmofobi

26 Jan 2017

Depends entirely on what you're after. Analogue modelling or pure digital functionality? The bundled devices aren't to be underestimated either.
But for chorus... Chenille.

EDIT: I cannot into grammar

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2017

First of all I advice you try out a bunch of EQs and compressors and compare them to each other yourself. It's pretty much the only way to figure out what works or you. Having said that here's what I like to use:

For me personally GQ-7 is a must have in Reason. It has become my go to EQ for it's flexibility and all its options.
It covers a lot of filter slope options as well which is very useful. It has completely replaced the Mclass EQ.
Other than that some other favorites:

FRG-EEE Equalizer (for drums), RE3Q Six-band Equalizer (for air).
Carve ("Carve is a dynamic EQ ducker. It takes the frequency signature of one audio signal and uses that as a profile to cut frequencies of a second audio signal.")

Compressors is a lot harder imo because it really depends on what you're after.
I use a bunch of them for different things.

All 3 McDSP compressors but especially FRG-4RE Compressor (for drums). The other two are a lot more subtle/gentle.
RE2A Leveling Amplifier
Softube FET Compressor (works for some things, other things it doesn't work at all)
DQ (one band dynamic processor)

Still love the SSL master bus compressor that comes with Reason. I use it on almost all my projects.

DonnieAlan

26 Jan 2017

Thanks for the info. To answer the question of it depends on what I want...I know...but I can't have what I want because Waves, Sound Toys, Nomad Factory and a few others like that that I normally use in my Pro Tools mixes are not available as RE's...so I'm trying to find the best equivalents of what IS available right now as RE's. That's what prompted my post.

I'm looking at those McDSP compressors, they look good to me, and I know many pros love them!

Loque

27 Jan 2017

The C670 compressor works always and is easy. C1-L1 is the best compressor imo, but too bad its expensive considering it is a port of a free VST. GQ-7 is my goto EQ.
Reason12, Win10

RequiemMachine

30 Jan 2017

Are there any particular waves or sound tools plugins you're looking to find equivalents to? Most of the waves SSL stuff if handled nicely by the Reason mixer (which is modeled after an SSL console do has all the components)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Peter

30 Jan 2017

EQ: GQ7 --- I use the stock eq for my individual channels cuts, channel filters for the basic filtering and GQ7 takes care of groups.

Compression: RE2A --- well-known model, sounds great, easy to use. Everything except for drums and I'm using DCAM BusComp for drum groups.

Distortion: Devastor --- Multiband distortion and really easy to get awesome results for a guy like me who wasn't really into distortion.

Delay: Echobode --- frequency shifter delay plus so much more. My go-to "dream delay" preset is pretty much how it reads.

EdGrip

01 Feb 2017

The thing about Devastor is all the presets.
So if you've got a sound you want to dirt up, you can just click through them, next, next, next, next, and really quickly audition lots of variations on that sound.

I'm really loving the Kuassa distortion, too. Simpler, sounds ace.

MDTerps2015

01 Feb 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:First of all I advice you try out a bunch of EQs and compressors and compare them to each other yourself. It's pretty much the only way to figure out what works or you. Having said that here's what I like to use:

For me personally GQ-7 is a must have in Reason. It has become my go to EQ for it's flexibility and all its options.
It covers a lot of filter slope options as well which is very useful. It has completely replaced the Mclass EQ.
Other than that some other favorites:

FRG-EEE Equalizer (for drums), RE3Q Six-band Equalizer (for air).
Carve ("Carve is a dynamic EQ ducker. It takes the frequency signature of one audio signal and uses that as a profile to cut frequencies of a second audio signal.")

Compressors is a lot harder imo because it really depends on what you're after.
I use a bunch of them for different things.

All 3 McDSP compressors but especially FRG-4RE Compressor (for drums). The other two are a lot more subtle/gentle.
RE2A Leveling Amplifier
Softube FET Compressor (works for some things, other things it doesn't work at all)
DQ (one band dynamic processor)

Still love the SSL master bus compressor that comes with Reason. I use it on almost all my projects.
Hey Tritone, just a question for you, what type of music do you make (genre)? Curious because over the years I have become a RE collector with about 200 of them. Im into pop and hip hop type stuff. I have every compressor and all but one eq.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2017

I think a lot of people get lost in trying to make one tool be the same as another (I know I have over the years). I now far prefer to use each tool for what it is, finding each unit's character and strengths.

Great thing with the stock Reason units is that pretty well all can be used in so many ways. There are very few I am not happy to reach for first.

There are a few REs that offer something that stock units don't cover so those are the ones I would say are worth looking into first:

Compressor - Red Rock C1-L1 may not be cheap but if you want to get more intricate than M-Class you have a lot of options
EQ - I don't love M-CLass, but I do the SSL visual (F2). Lab One ReQ131 with the mouse draggable curves offers something different for the dramatic
Delay - I really like Air Raid Audio Elements S-Delay but once I understood how it works, The Echo can pretty well do it all with a lot less effort. JPs Titus is also pretty special.
Creative - Sonic Charge Echobode is great to add several kinds of something else
Utility - Selig Gain is a tiny workhorse. When it finally arrives, Alien Seed Kron will be the CV master blaster (and CV is a massive Reason strength even if you don't want to sound like a modular).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:Hey Tritone, just a question for you, what type of music do you make (genre)? Curious because over the years I have become a RE collector with about 200 of them. Im into pop and hip hop type stuff. I have every compressor and all but one eq.
It's mostly some type of electronic music, but I don't really follow any specific genres when I write music so I can't really pin point it. It's everything from catchy chip tunes to metal inspired tracks with double bass drumming.

Here's a few examples of my music. It's all over the place in terms of styles.

Dysfunctional Instinct
(Some sort of melodic Breakbeat thing)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13422853

Giant
(I don't what the hell this is)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13177352

Catharsis
(instrumental electronic metal)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12989149

A Day At The Circus
(retro sounding video game music)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13471578

Sick?
(One of my few tracks that isn't electronic, pretty much a straight up metal tune)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13028735

• Information