Guitar effect

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Lov2sing

05 Oct 2016

I was wondering which RE produces the best sustain effect for guitar and which one is your favorite and why?
We make music for a reason

challism

05 Oct 2016

"Sustain effect" for guitar is best done thru the guitar pickups, themselves. Humbucker pickups are the best for a long sustain. I wouldn't really classify sustain as an effect and more than I would classify palm muting or hammer-ons/pull-offs as effects. I'm kind of confused by the question. If your original recording or source didn't have a long sustain on held notes, there isn't really anything you can do in post production to create a sustain (other than using some serious tricks, such as delay). If you want to go that route, Propellerhead's Polar can sustain a note as long as you want with the lock enabled.

Are you using a real, live guitar, and recording it into Reason? Or are you using samples that are prerecorded? As far as straight up effects, which are excellent for the guitar, I would suggest the synth RE called Revival. It has some amazing on-board effects which sound really great on guitars (or just about anything else you run thru its audio input).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

manisnotabird

06 Oct 2016

Are you possibly thinking of an effect like the Boss DF-2 pedal?

Also, lots of compression pedals for guitar include the word "sustainer" in them, while doing nothing but the sort of normal compression any compression device in Reason can do.

Lov2sing

07 Oct 2016

Thank you both. I am using a combination of loops, real guitar, and refills. I will take both of your advice. Thanks again.

dana

07 Oct 2016

I would have thought pulverizer, because the compression section is based on the shure level-loc which is very good at sustaining guitars or anything else. (The distortion is based on the RAT pedal, another good all-round distortion)

dana

07 Oct 2016

If you want feedback sustain on your guitar one string at a time, pick up an ebow.. saves your relationships with your neighbours lol

Lov2sing

07 Oct 2016

I have never used an elbow. That may be something to put in my arsenal. You guys are opening my mind to new possibilities I never considered and I thank you.

jfrichards

07 Oct 2016

For me, getting good sustain effects is a lifelong pursuit. Some sustain guitar effects are like violins or saxes or synths. Some are like trails that fade out. Generally, it is some kind of distortion, from sweet to gritty, with heavy compression to keep the volume even, or to make the attack quieter, like bowing. There are dozens of ways to get this in Reason. Do you have a favorite example of guitar sustain? We could make some suggestions based on what you want.

Lov2sing

08 Oct 2016

I do not have a particular style to mimic I just want to use it for effect of a note fading out. If you have some techniques I could try to see if they suite what I am doing. Thanks for your help.

mooseharris

10 Oct 2016

Clean or dirty sound? If I want sustain I crank the gain, and use finger technique to gently apply vibrato. ebow is fun, but not probably what you're thinking of. The more recent plastic cased ebows are affordable, unlike the chrome originals, and have a 'feedback' switch setting which is very nice.
Last edited by mooseharris on 12 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Lov2sing

11 Oct 2016

mooseharris wrote:Clean or dirty sound? If I want sustain I crank the gain, and use finger technique to gently apply vibrato. bow is fun, but not probably what you're thinking of. The more recent plastic cased bows are affordable, unlike the chrome originals, and have a 'feedback' switch setting which is very nice.

Clean is my hope for this project but tell me how to achieve both and I will consider it as well.

mooseharris

12 Oct 2016

Well, sustain is an age-old issue and relates back to the quality of the guitar and the material it's made from. Playing technique is also a feature. As JF suggests, heavy compression is the way to even out the peaks and troughs of volume. A reasonably fast attack and a very slow release works best for me. Noise gates are out, because they'll kill the decay. As I suggested for dirty sounds, crank the pre-amp gain and get a good input level that's close to clipping. If you're keeping it clean you can still boost input gain. A low gain input will fade off pretty quickly or get lost in noise. So long as you have a decent level of signal coming in there's plenty you can do to sustain it. The M-Class Compressor is pretty good for this, and i've achieved some reasonable results combining it with the M-Class Maximiser. Less effective is the Comp-01. The compression offered by Scream and Pulveriser are options if you're careful not to overload them, or you could shell out for a Re., there are loads available but as I've not purchased any myself I can't offer an opinion on which would suit you best. Also, a long decay reverb will eek out the dying tones.

Lov2sing

12 Oct 2016

mooseharris wrote:Well, sustain is an age-old issue and relates back to the quality of the guitar and the material it's made from. Playing technique is also a feature. As JF suggests, heavy compression is the way to even out the peaks and troughs of volume. A reasonably fast attack and a very slow release works best for me. Noise gates are out, because they'll kill the decay. As I suggested for dirty sounds, crank the pre-amp gain and get a good input level that's close to clipping. If you're keeping it clean you can still boost input gain. A low gain input will fade off pretty quickly or get lost in noise. So long as you have a decent level of signal coming in there's plenty you can do to sustain it. The M-Class Compressor is pretty good for this, and i've achieved some reasonable results combining it with the M-Class Maximiser. Less effective is the Comp-01. The compression offered by Scream and Pulveriser are options if you're careful not to overload them, or you could shell out for a Re., there are loads available but as I've not purchased any myself I can't offer an opinion on which would suit you best. Also, a long decay reverb will eek out the dying tones.
Thanks I will try this too. Thanks to everyone I have learned a lot. My last thought in this. It would be great if somebody would create a dedicated sustain RE? If it could be created for the audio side then it could be used for instruments and vocals.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Oct 2016

the old, half unit, compressor can be useful for getting that long and smooth sustain on extreme settings

selig
RE Developer

12 Oct 2016

I've found multiple stages of compression/distortion make it easier to create sustain than one single device on it's own. I like to "pre-compress" a signal before it hits the amp so that the amp sees a more "level" input signal. This helps because of how distortion changes with input level - if the input level is more consistent, then the distortion is more consistent. And sustain is all about a consistent level!

Plus, after the amp I will often add compression in the mix. This is the same approach I use when recording real guitars/amps, just applied to the ITB world.
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Logismos

12 Oct 2016

Lov2sing wrote:I was wondering which RE produces the best sustain effect for guitar and which one is your favorite and why?
Try polar -does the job. :thumbs_up: =delay lock buffer ;)

Dante

12 Oct 2016

Lov2sing wrote:I have never used an elbow. That may be something to put in my arsenal. You guys are opening my mind to new possibilities I never considered and I thank you.
Not 'elbow' - its 'Ebow'

http://www.ebow.com/home.php

There is also the new release of the Gizmotron. This will work on all 6 strings simultaneously and selectively, which the Ebow will not do.

http://www.gizmotron.com/

Gizmotron 2 at $399 is better value than EBow at $250 IMHO. Gizmotron will give you more control, more and better sustain than any of the above mentioned.

selig
RE Developer

12 Oct 2016

Dante wrote:
Lov2sing wrote:I have never used an elbow. That may be something to put in my arsenal. You guys are opening my mind to new possibilities I never considered and I thank you.
Not 'elbow' - its 'Ebow'

http://www.ebow.com/home.php

There is also the new release of the Gizmotron. This will work on all 6 strings simultaneously and selectively, which the Ebow will not do.

http://www.gizmotron.com/

Gizmotron 2 at $399 is better value than EBow at $250 IMHO. Gizmotron will give you more control, more and better sustain than any of the above mentioned.
Yes, infinite sustain but you have to pay a lot and you have to learn new technique. Sometimes simpler is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Lov2sing

14 Oct 2016

Besides what you all have given me I want know one last thing. Based on the Roland midi guitar system is it possible to use some of the filters s that are REs and get some of the same techniques?

Logismos

14 Oct 2016

Lov2sing wrote:Besides what you all have given me I want know one last thing. Based on the Roland midi guitar system is it possible to use some of the filters s that are REs and get some of the same techniques?
Basing upon this video>

Yes-yes it is possible-with some uber tweaking. :puf_bigsmile:

Edit-the only way stock and re's phail,is because they cannot do realtime programmable crossfade loops-that i know of.
With samples,user can have full control of loop point crossfades,but,crossfades can only be set-not changed on the fly in reason at this time.

Lov2sing

14 Oct 2016

Okay that makes sense. I guess I will by a boss multi effect pedal and wait for reason to figure out the rest for guitarists someday. Thanks again this has been a real thrill to get all this help.

• Information