Is there a maximizer "Brickwall Limiter" for reason that ensures that the output level never exceeds a set limit

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mreese80

31 May 2016

It's time i invest. What do you guys use or recommend? The stock maximizer doesn't cut for me. The waves L2 is still my go limiter.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

normen

31 May 2016

The Ozone is the only one for Reason that can do true inter-sample peak limiting. Its got several modes to get different sounds but then again I'm not one to use a limiter for "sound" but more as a safety, hitting at most 2 or 3 dB of reduction with high peaks.

boobytrap

31 May 2016

Onyx 430i Tube Limiter
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

16BitBear

31 May 2016

I bought and used Ozone for almost a year, and no matter how much I tried, I just didn't like the sound. I often reverted to the stock devices instead. But I picked up Onyx last week, and I love it. So my vote is also for Onyx 430i.

mreese80

31 May 2016

boobytrap wrote:Onyx 430i Tube Limiter
ok. I'm gonna try this
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

31 May 2016

DJBuddhaBear wrote:I bought and used Ozone for almost a year, and no matter how much I tried, I just didn't like the sound. I often reverted to the stock devices instead. But I picked up Onyx last week, and I love it. So my vote is also for Onyx 430i.
i had a trial of ozone but i never even used it. wow. you prefer the stock maximizer over ozone. It couldn't have been that bad lol

16BitBear

31 May 2016

It was definitely not 'bad' per se. It just didn't seem to impart the sound I wanted. I hate the loudness wars and obsession so I tend not to do a whole lot of maximizing. I just like the sound of Onyx better. I am sure it is very much a subjective ear thing. :lol:

mreese80

31 May 2016

DJBuddhaBear wrote:It was definitely not 'bad' per se. It just didn't seem to impart the sound I wanted. I hate the loudness wars and obsession so I tend not to do a whole lot of maximizing. I just like the sound of Onyx better. I am sure it is very much a subjective ear thing. :lol:
I read the info on the site. This might be what i am looking for. I'll download it later on today. I don't have time right now. The day is about to start and i don't want to waste trial hours lol. thanks again man

tt_lab

31 May 2016

I prefer the onyx or kratos over ozone, I own them three. Kratos is great!!!

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 May 2016

M-Class will do the job. BUT I have used Onyx for a quite a few records now and really like the extra sizzle it puts in things.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

submonsterz

31 May 2016

Pity you trialed ozone all ready or you could had back to back tested all the limiters .
I use onyx why in back to back it gave the best results it colours if not carefull but in a lovely way to me.
And the proof in my pudding was matching the settings on em all soft and harshly smashed.
I then went to study the exported wavs in a decent program namely soundforge to look closely at all the waveforms. Onyx kept the peaks all nicely rounded not flat peaked or cut off . The rest did at some of the extremes i tried . To me preserving the peaks is the way forward .

sdst
Competition Winner

31 May 2016

happy with Ozone, for limiter maximizer and dither combined with the Loudness Meter. :)

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2016

All of the limiters mentioned can do brick wall limiting - the difference is in "features" and "sound". I'm not one to add color at the very last stage of the game, so the Onyx Tube Limiter (which obviously has far more distortion than any of the others) is out on sound - and also features, with no dither and almost impossible (for me) to see gain reduction meters (still don't know the scale for these meters). Never liked the Maximizer as far as sound goes, so it's out too.

Only recently tried the Kratos 2, and IMO it stands up against my current "go to" limiter Ozone. IMO, both "sound" and "features" are a wash. They are difficult to identify when doing blind A/B at similar settings. If I didn't already have Ozone in my setup it would be a difficult call for me to make! Ozone has more dither options, Kratos has CV options, Ozone has inter-sample peak protection and variable stereo link, Kratos has separate attack/release and oversampling (can't really tell any difference with oversampling in initial testing FWIW). They both have some form of adaptive response, decent metering, very similar distortion characteristics when driven similarly, and an easy to follow UI.

My bottom line: Between Ozone and Kratos, it's too close to call - you really can't go wrong with either one IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

31 May 2016

Once I found the right setting multiband compression, the last stage is often only MClass soft clipper without significant limitation, and with a slow attack. But I use ozone, because I had a nice interface.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Jmax

31 May 2016

I started out with the Ozone, then bought Onyx and then Kratos. I like the Tube style limiting and coloring of the Onyx but don't use it much, it's also pretty to look at. I had the Kratos on my mastering template for a long but am now back to old faithful, the Ozone. I just think it sounds the cleanest overall. I just found when I punch the Kratos really loud it bites into the sound slightly more then the Ozone, I could just be imagining things though.

Yonatan

31 May 2016

Ozone and Kratos won my own comparison by ear, and very hard to pick a cler winner.
I did try Onyx tube limiter and found it interesting but unpredictable, some adjustments
and it gave a nice smooth treat to the audio, but very small adjustments and it went crap.
I took it as a bug in behaviour but know not if so is the case and if fixed.
I could see that one in the rack if more stable. And see it more as working with sounds
in the mix, but not when mastering a song, because its strange behaviour.
But when hitting a sweet spot, guess it can be used for whole song too.
Ozone and Kratos are very reliable.
Mostly use Kratos lately because it has slightly less burden on the CPU,
but have not made any serious test, so correct me if you know better.

16BitBear

31 May 2016

mreese80 wrote:
DJBuddhaBear wrote:It was definitely not 'bad' per se. It just didn't seem to impart the sound I wanted. I hate the loudness wars and obsession so I tend not to do a whole lot of maximizing. I just like the sound of Onyx better. I am sure it is very much a subjective ear thing. :lol:
I read the info on the site. This might be what i am looking for. I'll download it later on today. I don't have time right now. The day is about to start and i don't want to waste trial hours lol. thanks again man
It really is a very personal and subjective thing. Izotope makes great products, and I own several. I just have come to prefer Onyx more. Let me know what you think after trailing it.

dynamicalan

31 May 2016

Hello,

I'm new to Reason in a way. Can you actually use Waves au in Reason?

mreese80

31 May 2016

DJBuddhaBear wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
It really is a very personal and subjective thing. Izotope makes great products, and I own several. I just have come to prefer Onyx more. Let me know what you think after trailing it.
I never got around to it but i will and i'll let you know. I like izotope products. I have ozone 7. L2 has always been my go 2 limiter.,

mreese80

31 May 2016

dynamicalan wrote:Hello,

I'm new to Reason in a way. Can you actually use Waves au in Reason?
If you rewire with another daw you can.

mreese80

31 May 2016

submonsterz wrote:Pity you trialed ozone all ready or you could had back to back tested all the limiters .
I use onyx why in back to back it gave the best results it colours if not carefull but in a lovely way to me.
And the proof in my pudding was matching the settings on em all soft and harshly smashed.
I then went to study the exported wavs in a decent program namely soundforge to look closely at all the waveforms. Onyx kept the peaks all nicely rounded not flat peaked or cut off . The rest did at some of the extremes i tried . To me preserving the peaks is the way forward .
My mistake was never even using the ozone when i trialed it man. I was really busy around the time i downloaded the demo and never got around to it. That was my mistake.

mreese80

31 May 2016

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions everybody.

Yonatan

01 Jun 2016

Too bad the sale is over but if I had to pick one I would go with Kratos. But I think it is more a question of which one getting a lower pricetag. Owned Ozone first and used on every song but although really hesitated I still bought Kratos on a sale when trial side by side. I liked how it treated my audio transparent but still smoothness. And an inch tiny bit less heavy on the cpu as well as delay.
If I had owned Kratos first I wouldnt buy Ozone. Another thing is that the dev Kaussa is really a present and faithful company in the RE market w good support. Izotope I would like to see more of but they seem to have abandoned the RE market since their release of their limiter.
Although I guess that one must have sold quite a lot.

kuhliloach

01 Sep 2016

Yonatan wrote:Another thing is that the dev Kaussa is really a present and faithful company in the RE market w good support. Izotope I would like to see more of but they seem to have abandoned the RE market since their release of their limiter.
I'm looking at the Kratos sale right now and iZotope's lack of love for Reason is pretty obvious at this point; all the newest iZotope algorithms are not present on the Ozone RE. The main pull down list at the Propellerhead shop excludes the name iZotope as if the relationship is dead. Kuassa is a great company. Kratos is looking very attractive.

• Information