Antidote vs Reason stock/ RE Synths

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

19 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:I think it's more geared towards EDM/trance producers. At least the demos make it appear that way. The Reason users I know personally don't own it.
Yes it lends itself to EDM, but that's hardly it's only trick. In fact I find it to be the best overall allround VA synth in Reason, mainly thanks to it's great sound, great effects, and overall usability. :)

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:I think it's more geared towards EDM/trance producers. At least the demos make it appear that way. The Reason users I know personally don't own it.
You know me, right? I bonded with it immediately, and don't think there's an EDM producer that would acknowledge any skill in the genre on my part (though I can "pretend" to create that genre to a small degree).

I'm more an old-school analog guy (who CAN appreciate modern synths too), and that's the level it appealed to me on. Reminded me a bit of my JP8000 in some ways, still one of my favorite VA hardware synths.

But I'm definitely not your typical user, so I created a (slightly tongue-in-cheek) video showing Antidote if full space mode, fwiw.
Selig Audio, LLC

noelcampbelljnr

19 Jun 2016

selig wrote:
You know me, right? I bonded with it immediately, and don't think there's an EDM producer that would acknowledge any skill in the genre on my part (though I can "pretend" to create that genre to a small degree).

I'm more an old-school analog guy (who CAN appreciate modern synths too), and that's the level it appealed to me on. Reminded me a bit of my JP8000 in some ways, still one of my favorite VA hardware synths.

But I'm definitely not your typical user, so I created a (slightly tongue-in-cheek) video showing Antidote if full space mode, fwiw.
Selling please make a series of these videos. Some of your finest work :puf_smile:

miscend

19 Jun 2016

decibel wrote:
fceramic wrote:Antidote will always be a sad reminder of the limitations of the RE format. Compared to Dune 2 it's laughable in terms of features and only one filter and 5 mod slots is a complete deal-breaker. It was released 4 years ago with no major updates in 3 years which shows that Synapse is another established developer losing interest in the format. For 50-80 bucks it would decent value, but at 140$ you're getting close to Dune 2, Serum and even Zebra 2 territory which can even be resold.
i was playing with dune 2 the other day and my instant thought was why cant this be ported over to reason ? :(
i really hope they focus all their attention on evolving the SDK to the point where this can be made a reality as
i would love to use dune 2 within reason as a rack extension (any other reason users who have heard it in action
would feel the same no doubt), dune 2 is psychotic, we need it bad yeah ;)
I'd rather he works on making Antidote 2.0. With the new RE features he can finally add pages to the gui for more mod slots and more filters.

joeyluck

19 Jun 2016

eXode wrote:
Yes it lends itself to EDM, but that's hardly it's only trick. In fact I find it to be the best overall allround VA synth in Reason, mainly thanks to it's great sound, great effects, and overall usability. :)
Yeah I possibly misspoke with 'geared towards.' I think you say it better with 'lends itself to.' I certainly think and know it is capable of more.
Just speaking on part of the demos and presets. Maybe 'marketed towards' would be a better way of putting it.

pedrocaetanos

20 Jun 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:
selig wrote:

Selling please make a series of these videos. Some of your finest work :puf_smile:
Speaking from my taste, I'd say finest work is Wunjo album, but this Space Music piece is lovely, and indeed sounds very old school, even older than JP8000, to my years, it sounds 80's-like. So much, I did a little recording with this patch (Selig gently shared it with everyone) thinking specifically in Vangelis style: https://soundcloud.com/pedrocaetanos/memory-of-friends
(As far as I remember I only teaked reverb to a be little drier.)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

pedrocaetanos

20 Jun 2016

eXode wrote:
fceramic wrote:Antidote will always be a sad reminder of the limitations of the RE format. Compared to Dune 2 it's laughable in terms of features and only one filter and 5 mod slots is a complete deal-breaker. It was released 4 years ago with no major updates in 3 years which shows that Synapse is another established developer losing interest in the format. For 50-80 bucks it would decent value, but at 140$ you're getting close to Dune 2, Serum and even Zebra 2 territory which can even be resold.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
So, at least for now, winter isn't coming to Propshoperos? :puf_bigsmile:
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

SA Studio

20 Jun 2016

pedrocaetanos wrote:
eXode wrote:
Indeed, it already has. It just....err....stopped in Kingston Jamaica for a minute before it got there. I listened to it a few times and by the Gods, new and old, it came together. Organizing the White Walker choir was the biggest challenge. They're a rowdy bunch. But yeah, done with Reason by me, I played every part. Hope you like it - share it with other nerd-friends who may enjoy it as well, it's at 16k views.

eXode

20 Jun 2016

SA Studio wrote:Indeed, it already has. It just....err....stopped in Kingston Jamaica for a minute before it got there. I listened to it a few times and by the Gods, new and old, it came together. Organizing the White Walker choir was the biggest challenge. They're a rowdy bunch. But yeah, done with Reason by me, I played every part. Hope you like it - share it with other nerd-friends who may enjoy it as well, it's at 16k views.

Brilliant! :D

pedrocaetanos

20 Jun 2016

SA Studio wrote:
pedrocaetanos wrote:
eXode wrote:
Indeed, it already has. It just....err....stopped in Kingston Jamaica for a minute before it got there. I listened to it a few times and by the Gods, new and old, it came together. Organizing the White Walker choir was the biggest challenge. They're a rowdy bunch. But yeah, done with Reason by me, I played every part. Hope you like it - share it with other nerd-friends who may enjoy it as well, it's at 16k views.

You got a "like"
Liked a lot. :puf_smile:
You know, guitar sound and style reminds me a bit of Mike Oldfield in modern era (ex. Voyager and Guitars albums)

DNA Apocalypse

12 Jul 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:Have patience, Thor mk2 will have a proper detuned stereo superoscillator, NN-osc, and updated filters!
They say an update is around the corner...

;)
God yes! When can we expect to see the Thor Mk2? You must know the elite few that know about these updates!!! Any other info on the thor update?
DNA-LABS-SOFTWARE.COM :reason: :refill: :re:

chk071

13 Jul 2016

I doubt that it is anywhere near. Propellerhead seem to have other things on their agenda.
:reason: :rebirth:

miscend

25 Jan 2017

I wonder if we will get an Antidote 2 update now that there is a new SDK. Or maybe Rich will bring over Dune 2 instead?

chk071

25 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:I wonder if we will get an Antidote 2 update now that there is a new SDK. Or maybe Rich will bring over Dune 2 instead?
Far as i have read, from one of their "forum affiliates", so to say, they're working on Dune 3 now. So, i'd say Dune 2 RE is rather unlikely, and a Dune 3 RE may be more likely. If they decide to release it as a RE.

Kaosis

29 Jan 2017

Antidote is a beast.

I'm a synth noob when it comes to patch creation, but Antidote makes me want to explore the sonic realms. It begs to be tweaked and molded. And sounds fantastic.

As for lending itself to EDM or being geared towards it or whatever lingo you wish to use, I offer a question. What synth doesn't? I mean, I can't think of a synth that doesn't do EDM well, after the E stands for electronic lol.

EnochLight

29 Jan 2017

Dune 2 ranked around #14 out of the 50 top VST synths in 2016, according to Music Radar's latest poll. I'd rate it in my top 10 personally - its ability to import MIDI files and sequenced/rhythmic ability is top notch, not to mention its sound overall. I love Dune 2!

Can't wait to see what's in store for Dune 3 (and really hoping Richard brings it to Reason)!

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/the ... day-621799
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chk071

29 Jan 2017

Never quite got why Dune or Andtidote, for that matter, were always seen as lending thesmelves to EDM the most. The way i see it, Sylenth1 and Spire are much more popular in these genres, and about everyone uses those, alongside Massive, or something like Nexus. Really, Dune 2 for example doesn't at all play a role in those genres. Check this site, where the gear of the popular artists of those genres are listed, according to Facebook, or Twitter endorsements, or posts, or what has been spotted in Youtube producer videos: http://equipboard.com/

Frankly, i also think that Spire or Sylenth are much more suited for the kind of sounds typical in Trance for example. I don't find the unison/supersaw sound of Dune 2 very special for example, it always has kind of a unpleasant sound, when you detune a lot of saws against each other, and also produces kind of a harsh hiss when doing so. Neither i find the filters or envelopes very suitable. Spire for example gets really punchy with fast decay times, and i find the filters more pleasant sounding too. Dune 2 is pretty ok for pads and soundscapes, but, again, it's much a complete thing, when there's certain aspects of the sound not perfect, it will be audible for any kind of sound. In general, i find Dune 2 rather thin sounding, with sort of an artificial sounding boost in the lower frequencies. Anyway, each to his like and stuff, but, i read a million times now that the Synapse synths are supposed to lend themselves to EDM. Where? I don't see gazllions of artists using them for that, the contrary is the case.

miscend

29 Jan 2017

Each to his own. Personally I'm finding V-station to sound even more trancey than Spire. It has that nostalgic 90's dance music sound like the JP8000 and Virus have except sadly without a super saw.

As for Dune 2. I've seen it in making of videos with big producers. And I don't think Spire is as good as make it out to be. Spire doesn't sound so good when you layer up several instances, it quickly starts to clog the mix and you expend a lot of effort trying to get things to sit well. I find that with synths like Waldorf Largo and V-station you can layer up several instances and get musical results with less effort.

chk071

30 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:Each to his own.
Yeah. Thing is, whenever you take a look at what Trance or EDM producers are using, it's Sylenth and Spire all over the place. No matter how often i read that Dune 2, or Antidote "lend themselves to EDM", whatever that means. Of course, Dune 2 for example is a unison monster, with unison on the oscillator level, and 8 different layers to use. But, that's not all what matters. For example, the envelopes, before they introduced the new analog style envelopes, sorry, sucked for trancey pluck sounds. It has gotten better with the new analog envelopes, but they sill sound a bit weak. And the filters completely lose their power and punch, when turning the filter cutoff down, and using fast decay times. Dune 1 already had very weak, and somehow "strawy" sounding envelopes. If you take hardware synths which have been very popular in Trance music, before Sylenth1 basically took over, most of them have a really punchy, thick sound. Both the JP-8k, and the Virus for example. Not only i miss that in most of the soft synth, but, especially, in Dune 2. Sylenth1 is more punchy, and Spire even more so. Of course you CAN use Dune 2, or Antidote for the music, but, there's definitely synths which are more suited in that regard, IMO. As shows what most of the top producers are using. FWIW. Of course there's also a certain factor of "want to sound exactly like the mainstream", but, it has a reason that those synths are so popular. Just like Stradivaris are popular in classic music, or Les Paul's, or whatever, are popular in rock music.

BTW, there have been numerous discussions like this in other music forums i browse too, and the arguments are always the same. I can understand that people prefer different gear. But why does that also have to lead to the general perception that the synth one is using is always good for anything else too, or, that it even lends to genres, in which the respective synth doesn't really get much usage in professional productions? Why not just live with how it is, and enjoy what one has. If you like doing EDM with Antidote or Dune 2, and you like what you're doing, cool. But that still doesn't mean that all and sundry is doing it too.
Last edited by chk071 on 30 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

30 Jan 2017

don't do edm... Antidote works fine for any purpose... most synths do
Last edited by moneykube on 30 Jan 2017, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

chk071

30 Jan 2017

moneykube wrote:don't do edm... the synth works fine for any purpose... most synths do
See, that's another argument i hear all the time. Why don't we just stick to freeware Synth1, and live happily ever after? Answer is: Because some people have a demanding attitude, and demands to how they want to sound. That's why Moog is so popular, when it comes to synths. Synth1 is ok for beginners, but, frankly, there is MUCH better stuff, in payware. And also, there's stuff which is specifically good for the one or the other purpose. Especially when it comes to soft synths. The really good soft synths have a broad bandwidth of quality though, like most good instruments.

Anyway, i'll leave it at that, because i always feel like taking the b***hole position, when voicing such arguments, because people feel offended, when you say this or that synth isn't good for a specific genre. Or, if you generally feel like the synth isn't suited for most genres, and argue that some stuff is better than the other. I know it's highly subjective, but, i've hread people arguing that it doesn't matter which synth you're using, for doing something like a Trance supersaw sound for example (it does matter, trust me...), because they simply couldn't care less about the music, or the sounds in it. And i wasn't sure why you'd even enter a discussion with such a topic, when you couldn't care less about the topic anway. :?

moneykube

30 Jan 2017

it's how you you the synth... it is a tool.. most do similar things... some additive, subtractive and so on... but all can easily make useable sounds for any type of music... imo... um sorry to step in on an EDM conversation

chk071

30 Jan 2017

No worries, sorry if i come off as a bit rude too, just trying to make a point. Here's another one: Why use a (expensive) Moog synthesizer if it was all about how you use the tool?

moneykube

30 Jan 2017

good point... stock devices are good as well... got Antidote on sale and it was packing a lot of sounds.... do I need it... no... got too many synths now... was playing with it the other day and was getting stuff done

chk071

30 Jan 2017

Yeah. Actually, i would definitely take Antidote over Thor, mostly because unison per oscillator, and full control over stereo spread and detune is a big improvement over mono oscillators, and having to use quirky workarounds to achieve something which Antidote can do out of the box. I also think that Antidote sounds better than Thor. Antidote is definitely a nice option for a RE synth. Until Spire will be out. :) (if you happen to like that more of course)

• Information