Fingerprint EQ needed

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJDark2010

19 Jun 2016

Hi, I am searching for a RE wich can be used as Fingerprint EQ
like found in here http://testtone.com/products/Fingerprint+EQs

So far I can see, we have no device that can be used as FPEQ ...

Is there any RackExtensioist who can code that ?

It needs only a Audio Source in ... (Where it captures the frequencies) - (first run for sampling and averaging the frequencies - then press hold - and maybe you can save the curve - and remove the source)
A second Audio Source in (For the Material that should be eq´ed)
And an Audio out (Where the EQ´ed Audio comes out)

O1B

19 Jun 2016

I'm Glad someone asked for this.
I use a few different ones with Audio Highjack Pro. Roger Nichol's FIREQ, Melda's MAutoEQs, and I believe one other.
I usually use their measurements as a guide for shaping the appropriate EQ curve within R8 (GQ7/REQ131)

This f(x) would be quite interesting in Reason, though...
DJDark2010 wrote:Hi, I am searching for a RE wich can be used as Fingerprint EQ

orthodox
RE Developer

19 Jun 2016

Does it simply capture the spectrum of the pattern signal? If so, BV512 can do a similar thing with Hold button. The quality is not so good, but it works to some extent.

DJDark2010

19 Jun 2016

O1B wrote:I'm Glad someone asked for this.
I use a few different ones with Audio Highjack Pro. Roger Nichol's FIREQ, Melda's MAutoEQs, and I believe one other.
I usually use their measurements as a guide for shaping the appropriate EQ curve within R8 (GQ7/REQ131)

This f(x) would be quite interesting in Reason, though...
DJDark2010 wrote:Hi, I am searching for a RE wich can be used as Fingerprint EQ
Yes, that is such a device I mean. I had it years back in "Pristine Sounds" which was not longer developped, and the company left business.
But in its way, it worked stand alone ... so you analized first and then in the second way you stamp that curve on the other file you want to sound similar.

I tried it with the inbuild analyzing functions of reason, but that does not work as a fingerprinting device :(
Also a RE would be more usable than a combinator IMO.

8cros

19 Jun 2016

Yes, it's an interesting topic, it is now almost impossible. The optimal solution of the stock combi will not be more than 24 bands.
And vocoder works often with artifacts at low frequencies.
Therefore, you will not find a solution in the Reason that does this.
I do not think that such a device will appear soon.
Can RE 60 Real Time Spectrum Analyzer will do something?
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Loque

19 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:Yes, it's an interesting topic, it is now almost impossible. The optimal solution of the stock combi will not be more than 24 bands.
And vocoder works often with artifacts at low frequencies.
Therefore, you will not find a solution in the Reason that does this.
I do not think that such a device will appear soon.
Can RE 60 Real Time Spectrum Analyzer will do something?
Interesting idea. I think it produces CV out signals from the spektrum that can be feed into a EQ and it has a hold function. Never thought about such a usecase. That could be an interesting change to some other instruments ot voives. Gotta check this...
Btw: does Red Queen has such a function?
Reason12, Win10

DJDark2010

19 Jun 2016

Yea, I was testing this ... but the hold function don´t held the cv´s ...
so that doesnt work ... I also downloaded the RED ROCK RE 180 Dynamic Driver which converts the audio to CV to trigger the eq.
But with no hold on CV it would not fit, such a shame.

DJDark2010

19 Jun 2016

Red Queen looks also neat. Possible one tool I would buy as next. But also without the function I want ... hehe - but thanx for pointing me at this device :)

MDTerps2015

19 Jun 2016

They have to update Redqueen. I have and never use it because its DSP intensive. I love but maybe with 9 it can just be exported like it is now quickly to get the dsp hit out of the box. We'll see.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

joeyluck

20 Jun 2016

Maybe Lectric Panda could do something like this?

I would consider Shape similar in concept with the capture feature for recording and sending of CV.
Could maybe build upon Spektum?

Or maybe Synapse could add an option to GQ-7?

cosignsessions

04 Jul 2016

A trick that may be an easier path for a Reason device: Overlaying spectrums. Maybe have that ability on the Master spectrum display? I call it 'mixing into the curve' and I do this using rewire. I rewire to Reaper and run Pro-Q2. In Pro-Q2 I sidechain the reference commercial track. That spectrum is displayed red (and not audible). I then do a quick level mix peaking along the curve. Of course this does not provide a finished mix, but it helps get close to the 'target'. You can use Pink Noise as the 'background spectrum' with the advantage of not having to listen to it!

After that I refine the tracks and run 'Match EQ' to see if I am in the ballpark of +/- 3db and adjust volume or EQ/Compression of the tracks that are causing the imbalance.

Great tools when you are not mixing in perfect monitoring environment or using headphones to mix. Would be great to have a similar tool in Reason.

8cros

04 Jul 2016

I think the best way is request to repair BV 512. Let it affects the old tracks, but must be high-quality work of the vocoder.
When rendering 192,000 hertz sample rate , it is destroying your track whith terrible artifacts. (FFT band count)

If you use the 44100, safely use the BW 512. Check it. :thumbs_up:
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

orthodox
RE Developer

04 Jul 2016

8cros wrote:I think the best way is request to repair BV 512. Let it affects the old tracks, but must be high-quality work of the vocoder.
When rendering 192,000 hertz sample rate , it is destroying your track whith terrible artifacts. (FFT band count)

If you use the 44100, safely use the BW 512. Check it. :thumbs_up:
Something wrong with FFT mode...

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jul 2016

I do this sometimes using two Mclass EQs, with or without Pulveriser or Thor's filters. I simply run white noise through the device and tweak the EQs and filters 'till it sounds the same. If you know what you are hearing working by ear is very nice to do. You can train your ears also.

Most matching EQs are very simple. In Reason you would be able to get a perfect match, but it takes time.

DJDark2010

05 Jul 2016

That idea with the white noise is good. Will try that. But I also want to have that nice device in my rack. :twisted: :lol:

Marco Raaphorst

05 Jul 2016

DJDark2010 wrote:That idea with the white noise is good. Will try that. But I also want to have that nice device in my rack. :twisted: :lol:
It is complicated and in my experience you often need many EQ's and filters to get the same sound. But you do really cool things that way, getting the sound of some old mic for example. EQ can be a real friend :)

• Information