New Lotus in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BassmentDSP

13 Sep 2015

Makes sense in that regard.
Hows does everyone else feel about the price point?

Tincture

13 Sep 2015

It is what I meant... Seeing as the multiband comp out at the same time is less expensive. But I also feel bad mentioning price point as I know nothing of the work, effort, quality that has gone into it.

It's just for me having many comps incl. the red rock for 39 it has a lot to do... And at this pricepoint can't entice me unless everyone starts raving about it. And I have to try for myself.

Shokstar

01 Jul 2016

Now, it's in my rack and I'm really happy with that RE :)

decibel

01 Jul 2016

have often wondered about this one, but as i dont trial devices because of a bad past track record with authorizer i am also relying on rave reviews from other forum members whose opinions i respect.. it always makes me a little sad to see certain products being over looked like this etc. makes me wonder if it was bad timing , price point or just the fact that basement dsp have arrived a little late to he party and everybody is already fully stocked with various compressors ? would love to hear some more in depth comparisons , maybe we are all missing out on a hidden gem here ?

riemac

01 Jul 2016

Shokstar wrote:Now, it's in my rack and I'm really happy with that RE :)
Could you describe what you like about the compressor.
Would be interesting.

scifunk

01 Jul 2016

Just my own personal note on pricing, for me, on basic devices like this once you get above £25 I have to see something a little more in it. When it's a fairly crowded market place, like the compressor one is getting, I need it to do something the other devices I have don't, not that I'm a compressor whore or expert. I dont buy in too much on this 'characteristic' thing as it's meaningless to 99.9999999% of listeners. So, is this the punchiest/fattest/most transparent? Ive never thought I needed a Time Scale dial - convince me.

Shokstar

01 Jul 2016

riemac wrote:
Would be interesting.
I have now 13 different Compressors for Reason and all of them are sounding different.

What I like on this comp is, it´s making your sound fatter than before on the same level Output. the time scale is a nice help for changing the sound character of the Comp. a highlight is the attack time it´s working under 1ms and that´s cool for me to use it on Arp sounds only what I wish is a shorter Release time like down to 1ms.

take a look at the screenshot, it´s an A/B test that shows you well what this comp can do for your dynamics:
DROPBOX SCREENSHOT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wikjflz900sij ... 7.png?dl=0

and here is a A/B Sound example The first 4 bars are uncompressed and the other 4 bars are compressed. The screenshot will show you the changes of the dynamic range at the same Level-Output based on the peak. The first VAC-6 is Showing you the origin Level-Input to the compressor and the 2nd VAC-6 is showing the Sound after it was compressed by the Lotus-Comp, the same for the Loudness-Meter

The VAC-6 in High-Res. is showing you well how the Transient was before and after compression.

Sound Example:

riemac

01 Jul 2016

Shokstar wrote:
riemac wrote:
Would be interesting.
I have now 13 different Compressors for Reason and all of them are sounding different.

What I like on this comp is, it´s making your sound fatter than before on the same level Output. the time scale is a nice help for changing the sound character of the Comp. a highlight is the attack time it´s working under 1ms and that´s cool for me to use it on Arp sounds only what I wish is a shorter Release time like down to 1ms.

take a look at the screenshot, it´s an A/B test that shows you well what this comp can do for your dynamics:

and here is a A/B Sound example The first 4 bars are uncompressed and the other 4 bars are compressed. The screenshot will show you the changes of the dynamic range at the same Level-Output based on the peak. The first VAC-6 is Showing you the origin Level-Input to the compressor and the 2nd VAC-6 is showing the Sound after it was compressed by the Lotus-Comp, the same for the Loudness-Meter

The VAC-6 in High-Res. is showing you well how the Transient was before and after compression.

Sound Example:

Thank you Shokstar for the detailed description. I've always wondered if the good rating in the shop is for real or only a result of very little scores.
But now I have to test the Lotus compressor for my self.
I guess I need to look at VAC-6 as well.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jul 2016

Shokstar wrote:
riemac wrote:
Would be interesting.

Sound Example:

B sounds louder to me - is that intentional?

In tests like your A/B example I find it more helpful if the processed sound doesn't sound louder than the pre-processed sound. It's well accepted that louder will ALWAYS sound better - I've fooled other engineers by having them listen to two examples with one of them 0.5 or 1 dB louder, and everyone chooses the louder one and some even describe all these amazing qualities the louder one posses…

In fact, in order to not fool myself, if I choose the processed version I'll go out of my way to lower it's level a dB or so and repeat the test just to be SURE loudness isn't fooling me. It helps me to hear the actual differences beyond just loudness. And My loudness I don't mean peak level or even VU level - I just mean to adjust by ear!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Shokstar

01 Jul 2016

selig wrote:
Shokstar wrote:
riemac wrote:
Would be interesting.

Sound Example:

B sounds louder to me - is that intentional?

In tests like your A/B example I find it more helpful if the processed sound doesn't sound louder than the pre-processed sound. It's well accepted that louder will ALWAYS sound better - I've fooled other engineers by having them listen to two examples with one of them 0.5 or 1 dB louder, and everyone chooses the louder one and some even describe all these amazing qualities the louder one posses…

In fact, in order to not fool myself, if I choose the processed version I'll go out of my way to lower it's level a dB or so and repeat the test just to be SURE loudness isn't fooling me. It helps me to hear the actual differences beyond just loudness. And My loudness I don't mean peak level or even VU level - I just mean to adjust by ear!
:)
B is louder because it has a different dynamic range like you can see on the attached screenshot link. I don´t like to mix by ear while I´m using Headphones.

it wasn´t intentional because I think it´s the character of this Comp, it´s a loud maker and for my personal taste good for EDM music.

• Information