Rack Extensions needed for a Studio Punk Band

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Shiva666

04 Apr 2016

Hi Friends,

I am producing a punk rock 4 piece band ( Yes I am a member- Guitarist) using Reason 8.3. Just need some advise, what are the racks i need to purchase to make my recordings better?

1. My Drums are recorded live
2. Guitars are through PodFarm
3. Vocals are direct to preamp ( Behringer MIC2200) ---> to Reason Balance Interface

Your expert recommendations are highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Regards.

dvdrtldg

04 Apr 2016

Depends what you mean by "better". How weird/trashy do you want to sound? if the answer is Quite a lot, then may I recommend:

Rotor for the vocals
Etch Red as your one-stop distortion/filter shop
Amp Vermilion for the guitars
RP Verb for all reverb needs, regular thru to bizarre
Decimort 2 for Fuck Shit Up

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2016

Really Reason has everything you need for a "straight" recording or even some curly tricks. With the possible exception of getting Selig's DeEsser as that is a good siblant quasher.

Get good performances and the rest will be easy.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

guitfnky

04 Apr 2016

I guess it depends sort of what style of punk you're referring to. If you're talking about a pop-punk thing, the sort of sound you're probably looking for might be very different than a more traditional punk or hardcore sound.

I'd say you probably don't need to concern yourself with Rack Extensions at all, unless there's something very specific you need that isn't available in the stock devices. If there's one RE I'd recommend though, particularly if you're new-ish to mixing (and have as much trouble as I did with compression), it would have to be the Cakewalk RE-2A. It's easy enough to use that it's nearly impossible to screw up, even when it's doing a lot of work. I use it on guitars, basses, vocals, and sometimes even drums, and I've never had trouble dialing in extremely musical settings.

but yeah, try playing around with the stock devices to see how much mileage you can get out of those first. you might find it's quite a lot.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

challism

05 Apr 2016

CRAPRE No. 2
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

friday

05 Apr 2016

Softube FET for the Drums!

geronimo

05 Apr 2016

Shiva666

05 Apr 2016

Thanks alot Guys,

In my Reason 8, I only have the basic compressors, eq and a Polar and Titan maximizer. These racks you mentioned above is worth trying. So far I could manage it with the basic units, but somehow, I do feel there is a need soon for the additional racks.

Regards.

Shiva666

05 Apr 2016

Benedict wrote:Really Reason has everything you need for a "straight" recording or even some curly tricks. With the possible exception of getting Selig's DeEsser as that is a good siblant quasher.

Get good performances and the rest will be easy.

:)
I agree 90% of the work is done if the performance meets the standards!

Shiva666

06 Apr 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Depends what you mean by "better". How weird/trashy do you want to sound? if the answer is Quite a lot, then may I recommend:

Rotor for the vocals
Etch Red as your one-stop distortion/filter shop
Amp Vermilion for the guitars
RP Verb for all reverb needs, regular thru to bizarre
Decimort 2 for Fuck Shit Up
Ok Bro, will consider that. Tenjewberrymuds !!!

• Information