Red Rocks Multiband Compressor is in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
riemac

20 Mar 2016

It seems that the compressor introduces 33 samples latency. In my opinion, this is too much to use it in the mix or on busses.
With so much latency it is only usable for mastering and for that I've got Ozone 7.
And the other problem that the crossovers don't null is still there even when I compensate for the 33 samples delay.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

eXode

20 Mar 2016

riemac wrote:It seems that the compressor introduces 33 samples latency. In my opinion, this is too much to use it in the mix or on busses.
With so much latency it is only usable for mastering and for that I've got Ozone 7.
And the other problem that the crossovers don't null is still there even when I compensate for the 33 samples delay.
Obvious question: Speaking of the crossover, did you compensate for MBC's latency when you did the NULL test? Because if you didn't, it's not strange that it didn't NULL... :)

riemac

20 Mar 2016

eXode wrote:
riemac wrote:It seems that the compressor introduces 33 samples latency. In my opinion, this is too much to use it in the mix or on busses.
Obvious question: Speaking of the crossover, did you compensate for MBC's latency when you did the NULL test? Because if you didn't, it's not strange that it didn't NULL... :)
Yes Exode, I compensated for the latency on the inverted parallel channel with VMG.

wendylou

20 Mar 2016

I really like the dynamic GUI which makes it interesting, but after some single band sonic comparisons to 4Dyne using my ears, I decided to not buy. I also have a ton of compressors.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

decibel

22 Mar 2016

intro price is only for one more week, anybody got any glowing reviews to add to this thread ? i recon the price will jump up another %20 - %30 when it does, so if anybody has any pros/cons they would like to add for those of us sitting on the fence ? please share

gullum

23 Mar 2016

I like how simple it is to work with and it's not taking as much space as 4Dyne. I would love it it had send/return on each band like 4Dyne.
I have bout this and 4Dyne I like better Red Rocks for simplicity

dana

23 Mar 2016

Its a great little multiband i've used it for mastering already and it rocks.

I usually split my signal into subs(oomph)/low-mid (upper bass)/hi-mid (main musical content)/tsss (hats)

I'm using a pretty powerful computer and even still 4dyne is too cpu-intensive for me a lot of the time, and this one seems to be lighter on cpu

4Dyne has a lot more features and sounds great if you spend time tweaking the settings - the defaults are rubbish. SPLEX i'm still getting used to it.

But the red rock its a case of being good enough, really easy to use, has display feedback. Its kind of like the synapse GQ-7, not the best EQ in the rack but the visual feedback just makes me go for it more than others.

As for it not summing with the original.. Its doesn't sound to me like this would cause an issue, if LR4 or LR8 aren't good enough for you, go use one of the other multi-bands or cook up your own.

Theo.M

23 Mar 2016

wendylou wrote:
riemac wrote:I don't know what to think about this Multiband Compressor.
On one side it's UI is very nice and the overall sound seems good.
On the other hand it seems that the crossover filters colour the sound, even when the compressor is off.
It seems, that it didn't pass a null test.

Maybe some experts can test this and give us their opinion. Very intersting would be as well, if it introduce latency?
Not sure how you determined it did not pass the null test. In my test, I fed it an audio source, made a parallel channel that included another Multiband Compressor, clicked the invert channel strip button, and absolutely no sound - a perfect null.

that's not a null test. The whole point is NOT to add the extra multi band compressor to the parallel channel. So have two tracks where the audio track playing is identical on both channels (at identical mixer volumes and with no other plugins present in those two channels, to do a true fair null test). Then add the multi band comp to one of them and flip the phase.
By adding that extra instance, of course it nulled perfectly lol. It was nulling with itself.

The other way to test it is to drag the crossovers around during your null test, and see if that changes the sound ie what's is different between the two channels, as you drag.

Top quality stuff like ozone and fab filter are flawless in this regard :)

For me a multiband comp is only as good as it's crossovers, and i absolutely need them to be flawless.

Normen is sort of right, I was initially very excited with 4dyne or what it was (plus the multi band fx hosting), but it takes some getting used to to get the actual compression to sound good. I would advise to really spend time with 4Dyne on a variety of sources, but it IS very capable. It just sounds different initially to what you'd expect. That means it's not as "musical" as some other compressors which sound good instantly on almost anything. 4 Dyne is like the surgical EQ of compression, you really have to know what you are doing, and you can seriously destroy an entire mix if you don't.

OTOH, i don't think red rock should raise the price to more than 59$ (4dyne's price). It does have the crossover display, but 4 dyne at this stage (going from reading this thread), is the one with the flawless crossover option, and that's important. Furthermore, for some reason, 4 dyne's fx hosting on back never seems to get a mention (except from me LOL). It makes yoko redundant, and let's you split into FOUR bands with perfect crossovers, and put ANY effect chains of your choosing on ANY band.. as well as having DUAL chains per band that you can morph between. That feature is huge.

DNA Apocalypse

24 Mar 2016

Hmmmm.....looks a little familiar, great job Redrock, I love it!
DNA-LABS-SOFTWARE.COM :reason: :refill: :re:

Pal

24 Mar 2016

DNA Apocalypse wrote:Hmmmm.....looks a little familiar, great job Redrock, I love it!

Hmmmm.....It looks is suspiciously similar :))

DNA Apocalypse

24 Mar 2016

Pal wrote:
DNA Apocalypse wrote:Hmmmm.....looks a little familiar, great job Redrock, I love it!

Hmmmm.....It looks is suspiciously similar :))
Yeah, that 2nd finger is definitely modeled from the the first finger! Lol j/k , I meant is purely as a harmless joke, In all actuality, the Redrock looks BETTER and more FUTURISTIC, and it sounds Grrrreatt! I am so glad that the GUI in the latest devices are looking more and more high tech, GUI is very important!
DNA-LABS-SOFTWARE.COM :reason: :refill: :re:

O1B

24 Mar 2016

wendylou wrote:
riemac wrote: It seems, that it didn't pass a null test.
Not sure how you determined it did not pass the null test. In my test, I fed it an audio source, made a parallel channel that included another Multiband Compressor, clicked the invert channel strip button, and absolutely no sound - a perfect null.
Theo.M wrote:that's not a null test.
No, that certainly wasn't. I hope she has it all figured out now.
Theo.M wrote:For me a multiband comp is only as good as it's crossovers, and i absolutely need them to be flawless.
SPLEX is also a Beast of a MBC - with Breakouts.

MDTerps2015

24 Mar 2016

Im going to say one thing, I deal with hop hop and r@b music. I have been playing around with this compressor and with all the compressors i have, i have dialled in the same type of settings and no other compressor adds the punch to non-808 kicks like this one. Maybe im doing something weird with it but this things puts out punch like no other. I havent even tried it on synths yet but interested in any feedback. I think this thing is slick but im a compressor junky period.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

VNUprod

27 Mar 2016

Video is online :D

O1B

27 Mar 2016

Between your approval and Gollum's, I'm in.
Thanks
MDTerps2015 wrote:Im going to say one thing, ...no other compressor adds the punch to non-808 kicks like this one. Maybe im doing something weird with it but this things puts out punch like no other.

wendylou

28 Mar 2016

I noticed that beefier bass as well, so I started comparing to 4dyne. I learned I can better compare 4dyne to MBC if I set 4dyne Splitter Type to Analog48 instead of Perfect24. Also, all three 4dyne Splitter frequency numbers need to be somewhat lower than equivalent MBC Crossover values in order to match the two units. Using white noise, pink noise, discrete test tones, and a nulled parallel channel set up, I can get the 4dyne to to match the MBC aurally and visually on a spectrum analyzer. With this knowledge, I was able to replace the 4dyne in a previous song with MBC and adjust such that they matched closely. Still, it would seem the MBC sounds different, which may be pleasing to some.

wendylou

30 Mar 2016

I note several things to better compare 4dyne with MBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2aFC5UYwdQ

dvdrtldg

31 Mar 2016

O1B wrote: SPLEX is also a Beast of a MBC - with Breakouts.
Just checked this thread to see if anyone had mentioned SPLEX. I've been using it a lot, with great results. Easier to get to grips with than 4Dyne

Loque

01 Apr 2016

:ugeek:
dvdrtldg wrote:
O1B wrote: SPLEX is also a Beast of a MBC - with Breakouts.
Just checked this thread to see if anyone had mentioned SPLEX. I've been using it a lot, with great results. Easier to get to grips with than 4Dyne
If i tried it once i didnt liked the sound. Maybe i should give him another chance regardless his UI is f**** uggly.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

01 Apr 2016

Yeah SPLEX is no oil painting lol

But then I like the look of it better than the Red Rock Sound multiband comp, which looks cheap & nasty to me. A shame because overall, Red Rock's devices are some of the best looking ones out there imo

Last Alternative

01 Apr 2016

Aside from being able to route ourselves, it always feels like Reason will never catch up to the rest.
And there is no excuse if R9 doesn't have automatic latency compensation. Just my opinion.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

selig
RE Developer

01 Apr 2016

OK, FuzzMeasure to the rescue! Here's the response of the different filter types compared to bypassed.
Bypassed in red, LR8 (default) in blue, LR4 in yellow:

[EDIT: on thing that really bugs me with all multi band Rack Extension devices so far is caused by something the current SDK doesn't support - the ability to keep the bands from overlapping. In other multi band compressors (in the VST/AU etc. world) you may notice you cannot move one crossover on top (or beyond) another - there's a built in "bumper" that keeps them from interacting. There may be some other plugins that don't prevent this, but all I've used keep you from moving any crossover a certain distance from adjacent crossovers, a distance determined by the slope (and the developer). This is done so that you don't get undesired interaction between filters, which would of course ruin the ability to create curves that re-combine perfectly.

But the current SDK doesn't allow that function, something that has kept me from developing any multi band devices myself. You'll notice on all Reason devices that have multiple bands, that you can freely place the crossovers anywhere you like, and thus create some "interesting" (and not very useful) responses. In the graphic below, the green, yellow, and purple traces are examples of this - all bands are bypassed as before, so the irregular response is cause solely by the filter interaction (note the almost 6 dB variation!):
Selig Audio, LLC

Chango

01 Apr 2016

well all I can say is that I have had excellent results with this device.To me it is a lot easier to use then 4dyne. and i like the sound it gives to my low end.It feels easier to balance out the frequencies.and the gui isn't that bad. I guess that depends on if that's what matters to one, but for me I just need a GUI that is intuitive and just works with great sounding results.
Hip Hop, experimental, Oldominion. Always looking for new avenues in music making.

selig
RE Developer

01 Apr 2016

Anyone else getting nasty glitches when changing patches as a track is playing? It doesn't happen every time, but when it does it's intense!
Been measuring peaks of +10-20 dBFS fairly regularly, one of almost + 40 dBFS. That's using a file set to peak at - 6dBFS btw. It's not the same every time, but wow, not something I've heard on other devices before now. :(
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information